This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Close Encounters of the Blog Kind

           The future was the topic on this blog over the past week.  In the week to come I'll be looking at the past.  Tossing It Out is a site where Time and Space sometimes go out of kilter and we might not know where we've been or where we are going.  That's what Saturdays are for--to get us oriented.

            If you've missed what's happening, next week marks the One Year Anniversary of Tossing It Out.  I'm not going to make any huge deal out of it.  No contest, no giveaway--nothing like that.  Oh, I might dance around my office in my pajamas and wave the flag or something.  But no confetti (I don't want to clean it up) and no champagne (at least I don't think so). 

          What I'll be doing is just having some peaceful blog reflection as I look at my year of blogging and ponder life in general.  I'll be starting Monday by looking back at my Top Ten TV Shows--I'll be saying more about this later in this post.  Then for the next three days I'll be indulging in tossing out my memories of Tossing It Out and giving a hint about what's to come in the future.

            Finally, on Friday I'll be participating in the Writing Compelling Characters Blogfest hosted by Elana Johnson, Jennifer Daiker, and Alex J. Cavanaugh.  Last time I looked there were 111 participants--sounds like a great way to meet some new bloggers and add new followers to your own blogroll.  If you haven't yet, get over there right now and sign up.

                             An Unexpected Surprise!

             Last weekend I got a surprise email from Larry at  DiscConnected.  He said he was coming over from Phoenix to Downey, California, which is near where I live, to see progressive rock group Spock's Beard in concert.  He offered that I might want to see the concert and at the same time we could meet in person.  Though I was vaguely familiar with Spock's Beard, I didn't know that much about them, but I was very interested in seeing them.  Most of all though I wanted to meet Larry whose blog I've been following for a while now.  After all, other than my own family members who blog, I have never met a real live blogger in person.   What an opportunity!

          Now it was odd enough that someone nearly 400 miles away from me was telling me about a concert that I didn't even know about that was five miles from my house, but to think that Larry was going to drive this distance to see some band seemed surprising.  Turns out he is a big Spock's Beard fan and they rarely play in concert in the U.S.   After seeing them in concert now I too am a huge fan.  What a concert!  This was one of the best bands I have seen.  If you ever have the opportunity you must see them.   Larry gives a complete rundown on the show and our meeting complete with pictures on his site.   Hope you'll check it out.

Larry Cavanaugh (DisConnected) (r) visiting in lobby before the show with Spock's Beard's extraordinary guitarist Alan Morse (on left)

                                       Blogfest Fun!

            If you haven't signed up yet there is still time to join up for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Top Ten TV Show Blogfest.  That's coming up this Monday.   I'll be there--will you?


  And If You're Near Long Beach, CA This             Weekend

          This weekend at The Queen Mary in Long Beach, California I'll be visiting Ghost Fest Expo 4 , which is an event dealing with paranormal activities and other unique phenomena.  George Noory of Radio Coast to Coast will be there with a line up of speakers who will be presenting special seminars and exhibits.  I'll be there visiting my ex-employer and good friend Philip Morris, who will be speaking about the Bigfoot Hoax film.   I posted about this Bigfoot Hoax story back in March.


    Become A Follower of Tossing It Out!

        As of this writing I am poised to hit 400 followers.  I'm hoping to hit this milestone this week to coincide with the first blog anniversary.  If you aren't following yet, please hop on board and enjoy the ride.  And be sure to tell all of your friends, neighbors, and family.

16 comments:

  1. oh, bummer, does this mean we all have to buy you a birthday present? I'm a bit short on cash :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a nutty, chaotic couple of weeks here - I've missed a lot from the bloggyverse. Thanks for the catch up.

    It must have been such a thrill to meet up with a blog buddy. I haven't had that chance yet. I haven't heard of that group either - sounds like it's worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be wonderful to meet one of your bloggers, looks like you all had a goo night.

    If you run around your office in your pyjmas
    photo's please.I'm sure I won't be alone in that thought.

    Have a wonderful week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Blogoversary! Have a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee .. sounds like a fun time .. & how great to meet up with fellow blogger & on top of that see a concert with him & hear some new music.

    Great anniversary weekend and week ahead .. have fun .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. r-LEE-b ~
    I happen to know that DISCDUDE left this morning for a week-long trip out of state. I have no idea whether or not he will have computer access and will be checking in on his blog or anyone else's. So, just a heads up - don't be surprised if this blog bit of yours goes unacknowledged by the man of a million compact discs. He might be incommunicado and drinking daiquiris there with the island girls.

    Hey, I didn't know you were a Coast To Coast listener. I used to tune in to that program regularly back in the days of Art Bell. Some really interesting guests on that program sometimes.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on reaching the one year milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 400 followers is quite a feat. I remember when you had less tahn 100. Its been a great year for you in Blogdom.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I didn't know Larry was a Cavanaugh as well! Small world for our clan.
    Looking forward to your posts next week, Lee. Can I toast in your favor? Promise I won't spill anything on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Lee on your one year anniversary! Looking forward to many more interesting posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on reaching one year of blogging, and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ready for blogfests! That's neat you met another blogger, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee said he'd "met a real live blogger in person."

    Other than 'blogger,' all the other characterizations are subject to debate.

    Well I guess I qualify as alive, because the mirror steamed up this morning when I went to shave.

    But who you callin' a person?

    Happy blog-anniversary!

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lee, how cool that you got to meet Larry and see an awesome concert! I'll check out his blog.

    that rebel, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow congrats on the upcoming anniversary! I hope you get you 400 followers, although I'm sure you will, since right now you're at 396...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, just realized I didn't acknowledge a lot of these Saturday posts. Sorry got kind of busy over the weekend. But for anyone who is following the conversation, I did read all of the comments and I appreciate them all.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee