This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Soul of Lee's Basement ( #BOTB )

     When my family first went to Maryville Tennessee I figured it was more like a vacation except that my father had to go to work every day.  It was a vacation for the rest of us though.  My parents and four siblings were staying in our travel trailer parked at a mobile home park.  Each day after my father went to work, my mother took the rest of us to some nearby tourist attraction--and there were many!  We all fell in love with the area.  By  mid-August it was decided that we would move here.  My parents put our Indiana house up for sale and by September we were settled in our new home in East Tennessee.

     The house we decided on was a nice sized recently built brick house on a very large lot. Of particular appeal to all of us was the large finished half basement that had a large open area with a fireplace, a sort of alcove with small closet, and a laundry room with a bathroom.  My father saw a good space for practicing our juggling act.  I envisioned a retreat where I could listen to music.  There was something for everyone, but I felt like it was mostly my domain.  Eventually those in my circle of friends would call it Lee's Basement.

       When our family made the move to Maryville, my record collection was likely not much more than 20 records if that many.  I treasured each and every one of them and played them often.  My sister also had her records, but she didn't take collecting as serious as I did.  My records were usually in better shape than hers and always inside their proper dustcovers. I occasionally listened to her records and enjoyed them, but we had distinct inclinations to like different types of music.

        Each Christmas my mother would take an album wish list from each of us and that would be another 20 or so albums in the house.  There would be my Kinks album versus her Bobby Vinton or my Beach Boys against her Diane Renay (anyone remember her?  "Navy Blue"?).  When she got over Beatlemania and stopped being interested in Beatles records is when they caught my attention an I started listening.

        My sister had her music and I had mine even though I really did like a lot of what she was listening to.  I like music and that's why I do this thing...

       


Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


A Little Bit of Soul

       Both my sister and I leaned heavily in the direction of the rock or pop genres, but some of the R & B groups caught our attention.  We both started listening to the Motown artists, but Joy had already been a fan of the NYC group Little Anthony and the Imperials for a couple years.  I also liked their hits that were often played on the Chicago station we listened to when we were still in Northern Indiana.  Joy probably liked having their songs as a background to young teenage angst.  I just liked their sound, but I could understand how some of their songs could set a mood for reflection or whatever.

      The Four Tops had released several hits before they really registered with me, but soon they caught my attention with their edgier sound.  They seemed more like a group for action rather than reflection and being moody.  Of course Joy liked those Four Tops songs, but I'm pretty sure she would have rather listened to Little Anthony if the choice were hers for music to set her mood and I think that would be the case even now. 

        Has my musical tasted changed over the years as I've become older and more reflective?  Back in the late sixties in my basement, my go to music would have been Four Tops over Little Anthony.  Where am I now?  That's not only for you to find out when I post my results for this Battle, but also for you to decide which you prefer.  Listen and remember.  And then, please vote...

       

Little Anthony & the Imperials   "Hurt So Bad"  (1964)






Four Tops   "Reach Out I'll Be There"  (1966)










Time to Vote!

           Do these songs bring back memories for you?  Which do you like best?.  Just listen and have fun.
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 






Results coming on Monday October 9th






29 comments:

  1. I'm a Motown fan from way back and enjoyed both songs, but the Four Tops get my vote. Better vocal tone and fuller sound, not to mention, the memories attached. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, lots of memories attached to this music for those of us who lived those years.

      Voting starts off with Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. The four tops all the way! Hurts So Bad is iconic... but it was always just too plain whiny for me. I loved the Motown sound but my favorites were The Temptations. David Ruffin's voice was something else. But the Four Tops had plenty of great hits.

    SIxgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I guess Little Anthony's music was often about angst & suffering which is why it was likely so popular with the ladies. The Temptations were an outstanding group. I got their Greatest Hits album the same year I got the one by The Four Tops.

      Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Both are good and this one is hard because they seem so different to me. I have to go with the Four Tops though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I was aiming for different so voting would be easier.
      It's another vote for...
      Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Happy October, Lee!

    Aw, having to vote between these two is difficult. Great song by the Four Tops, but the Jackson 5 had a similar title I liked better as it was my first dance ;-) Little Anthony gets my vote for a perfectly melancholic rendition of an already sad song.
    "Lee's basement," I like the sound of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, either of these songs is a winner as far as I'm concerned. You might of enjoyed visiting "Lee's Basement".

      A vote for Little Anthony.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. LEE ~

    This is a tough call. I like both songs, and it's very close to a 50-50 split.

    Being forced to swing one way or the other, I'll go with LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS by a mere 1% advantage (51-49). Truth be told, though, my favorite rendition of 'Hurt So Bad' is by The Lettermen.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I also liked The Lettermen's version. There was a greatest hits compilation by them in our house that included this song. That album was my mother's but I enjoyed listening to it as well.

      A vote for Little Anthony.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love Reach Out so thec4 Tops get my vote even though both songs are iconic. I know I heard both when I was young but don't know where or when. My brother got into Jimi Hendrix when he was a teen but I remember his 45s and he had a song called, " Bertha Butt" which I always found hilarious. He had other blues sounding music but it might be considered Funk nowadays, I don't know. My mom played classical music and I loved it and still do as you know. I would buy the K-Tel hits and remember Disco Duck being on it but I was never a fan. Unfortunately, it's the only song I now recall on that hits album. I loved ABBA and Simon & Garfunkel but I also loved the musicals but didn't tell anyone because it was old. My dad knew and he would ask me if I liked this or that song which I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, you named off a lot of good artists that I also liked. My parents had some soundtrack albums of musicals. Back then I liked that music, but I didn't care to watch musicals. Now I feel much different about this--I love musicals!

      A vote for Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Really enjoyed both songs, but I think I'm going to cast my vote for Hurts So Bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, I think both these songs are great tunes that sound good even today.

      Little Anthony.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Lee,

    Great battle! My vote goes to the Four Tops - "Reach Out, I'll Be There" is not my only favorite of these two oldies but it really got me to chair boogieing this morning. :) Have a bandtastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, Little Anthony works better as a contemplative night time song maybe. "Reach Out" does have a drive to it that gets one going.

      Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I vote for Hurt So Bad as I can relate to the title. Both are great songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, so glad to get your comment. I hear what you're saying.

      A vote for Little Anthony.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Arlee, I gotta go with the Four Tops here. I remember being just a wee little sprite on my dad's lap, listening to Motown. Although my musical likings are rooted deep in the grunge scene, I still know class acts like these cats. I love the 60's and 70's, groups like The Doors, Zeppelin, Allman Bros. These always get my attention. I have also gained a lot of respect for the old blues guys like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Burnside but I still find the stuff of the 90's rock scene a bit more my speed. Good Battle though. Worthy of a vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IB, lots of good music you named. There's a lot of great music to be found through all ages. It's fun to find it when I do.

      A vote for Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. First, I think I'm with your sis on those choices, I loved Diane Renay and Bobby is the king! Second, that is a VERY tough battle, which I have to go with the Tops on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I'd say a lot of folks never heard of or don't remember Diane Renay. I never hear her music played anywhere. I can't argue too much with my sister's taste in music, but mine is probably more eclectic.

      Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I had to listen to Levi Stubbs three times before I could take a minute to vote. The instant I hear "Reach Out" commence, I get all jitted and focused. I never get tired of that tune.

    A Vote for Four Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, there's something about that sound that makes me keep loving it.

      Again it's Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Always liked the doo-wop sound more than the mid-60s R&B sound, so its Little Anthony for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, that's what this match boils down to. Little Anthony's roots were in doo-wop.

      A vote for Little Anthony.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. I like both, but the Four Tops win it for me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, both are winners are far as I'm concerned.

      The vote goes to Four Tops.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook....

    A vote for Four Tops.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee