This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

The Eyes Have It ( #BOTB Results )

     I'm not late.  I'm just not posting this when I originally suggested I would.  It's summer.  It's hot.  I guess it doesn't matter that much.  But at least here I am now with...



Battle of the Bands Results



     My most recent Battle put "Girl with No Eyes" by It's a Beautiful Day up against the song "Lost a Number" by Nils Lofgren and Grin.  Both songs come from the amazingly musically diverse period spanning the latter sixties to the early seventies. Some of my most favorite music comes from this era and these songs, while quite different in sound, represent some of the best music in my opinion. 

      Having played violin I was drawn to It's a Beautiful Day since it's principal artist was vocalist/violinist David Laflamme.  Their first two albums got a lot of play back in the days when many of my friends would congregate in my parents' basement rec room.  However an even bigger favorite amongst most of our circle was Nils Lofgren and Grin.  Their second album was oft requested for a spin on my turntable with "Lost a Number" being a particular favorite.

      Even though Beautiful Day featured the violin as well as some really fine songs, my personal favorite between the artists was Lofgren and his group.  I thought they recorded some excellent songs that were very accessible to music fans.  Unfortunately, Nils and his groups didn't have quite the commercial success I would have anticipated, but still they managed to put out some excellent albums before Nils went on to become part of Bruce Springsteen's band.

      In this Battle my vote goes to "Lost a Number" by Grin and that was what the majority agreed with.  It was a pretty close race nonetheless.  

Final Vote Tally

It's a Beautiful Day       6 votes

Nils Lofgren & Grin       9 votes


Next Battle on Tuesday August 15th

         Yeah, I'm still planning to do this one.  But you know what they say about mice and men and whatever.







8 comments:

  1. Did you hear that David Laflamme passed away yesterday? https://bestclassicbands.com/david-laflamme-obituary-8-8-23/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard this. He was over 80 so I guess he had a pretty good life run. Makes my Battle all the more timely I guess.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I actually picked the winner this time.
    Sad about Laflamme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like I was on the winning side. Yay for me! I'm really sorry for not logging your complete vote in my battle. I made it so complicated that even I couldn't keep up. What a bone head I am! Thanks for sharing the results of your battle. Have a bandtastic afternoon, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're finally getting rain here and there's another storm barreling up the west coast. Maybe it'll cool down in your area too.
    I didn't pick the winner but I don't mind. I enjoyed the story behind the battle in the first place ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My choice didn't win, but I enjoyed the battle nonetheless. Blogging always suffers in the summer. Hope you get a break from the heat! Finally got my results post up, after a technical glitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fairly close race.
    For me, the vote was quite easy -- Nils, and without hesitation.

    However, that being said, I'm actually kind of surprised to see he won. The last time I checked in on the Battle, I seem to recall that he was behind by several votes, so I figured he was likely going to lose this one.

    Anyway, it was a good BOTB installment, and my favorite thing about it was the uniquely bizarre theme of Eyes versus No Eyes. That's one for the BOTB record book, methinks.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, came up with another interesting themed idea that you might enjoy. Hope you see my Battle on Tues the 15th.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee