This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Songs from Lee's Basement ( #BOTB )

 

      When I contemplate past days, my thoughts frequently go to my parents' basement--or as my friends might have called "Lee's Basement".  It was the end of the sixties and a dawning of a new decade.  The seventies started my foray into adult life.  What times we had!


       With some inspiration from Stephen T McCarthy's Silver Dollar Saloon Song Challenge, I decided to do something similar but using songs frequently heard when the basement at my parents' house was a party place to be in Maryville Tennessee.  That basement was a comfortable and safe place for my friends to gather in my young adult days.  I lived at home during my college years until I moved out at the end of 1974.  My parents allowed me pretty free reign of their basement at that time.  We were generally well behaved and didn't stir up much of a ruckus. My stereo was usually spinning sound and I was the house DJ.

       Record collecting had been my passion since 1964 when I was in 8th grade.  The collection grew slowly in those days, but after high school and I began working then some of my money would go into regular vinyl purchases.  When I started hosting parties my record collection had grown to a modest size, but was nevertheless pretty eclectic.  I tried to pursue records that not everyone else might already have and still be appealing to many ears.  There was always plenty to choose from.

        When thinking back on those days and nights listening to music in that basement, my memories take me to The Beatles, Cream, Iron Butterfly, and so many other groups that emerged in the late sixties with sounds that were often radical and musically exciting.  A typical evening in Lee's Basement might include some classical and jazz as well as mainstays such as Jethro Tull, Neil Young, or Jefferson Starship.  We all loved music and maybe my picks for the turntable weren't everyone else's first choices, I was the master of the music of my domain and rarely did I hear any complaints about my music choices.

        So now, with a trip down memory lane, we embark on another..,      



Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

Songs from Lee's Basement

       In this Battle I will offer up two bands that got frequent play in the early seventies on my basement turntable.  Both artists are some early examples of the Americana rock genre, but the greater commonality that they share is that they were both back-up bands for some notable artists who are known for being singer songwriters and later both bands recorded and toured as their own bands.

      Here they are---take a listen and decide which recording you enjoy the most...

          

The Band   "When I Paint My Masterpiece"  (1971)

        Before going out on their own, this band--The Band--was the back-up group for Bob Dylan.  They recorded a few Dylan songs as well as many written by their members, primarily Robbie Robertson, who recently passed away at age 80.  In this Battle we have The Band performing their rendition of Bob Dylan's "When I Paint My Masterpiece"...



Crazy Horse   "Dance, Dance, Dance"   (1971)

        In 1968 L.A. group the Rockets released an interesting album that never really made much of a splash on the music scene and they reorganized into Neil Young's back-up band Crazy Horse.  Over the ensuing decades they went through a number of incarnations as Young's backing group as well as a band recording and touring on their own.   In their debut album, 1971's self-titled release Crazy Horse, they included the Neil Young song "Dance, Dance, Dance".  The band's line-up at this time also included Nils Lofgren before he moved on to his own solo work and eventually as part of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.   How does the Crazy Horse song stack up against The Band's song?  You decide...







Time to Vote!

           You might
 remember these songs--or not.  Either way you might or might not like them.  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 







Next Battle on Friday September 1st
   
           There should be some results of the current Battle coming in a week or so, but the next Battle will come as long as life continues as expected.   I'm going to continue with the Songs from Lee's Basement theme.  I got some doozies ahead.  And songs that mean a lot to me.   See ya!










19 comments:

  1. Lee,

    I'm glad you stopped by to remind me of your mid-month battle. I plan to get back to participating twice a month after Labor Day. I don't remember either of these bands or songs. My brain interpreted these as rock/bluegrass blend, more rock though. I'm not sure if I like it. It's funny because I like it when a bluegrass band kicks up a bit of rock vibe, though. Maybe, it's too early and I haven't had my morning coffee yet for me to make sense of anything. As I said pick up the bluegrass overtures in each of the songs but the second one had a bit more of it. I like the fiddles and the rhythm of the vocals. It sets my body in motion as it plays. I'm giving my vote for Crazy, Crazy, Crazy but just so you know the first pick isn't bad at all and I enjoyed. Thanks for the introduction of two oldies that got frequent play time in your basement. :) Have a bandtastic day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you don't know these bands, but I can understand not knowing the songs. Not from classic albums that everyone knows well.

      Voting starts out a bit "crazy" with Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I liked "Dance, Dance, Dance" better. It was more upbeat and sounded a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, it's another vote for...

      Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Both a bit twangy, but I'd pick Crazy Horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, "twangy"? I guess maybe. It's Americana Music.

      Another vote for Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I was never impressed with either of these bands on their own, I'm afraid. The problem is the singing. That might sound funny, given that their famous singers - Dylan and Young - are not known for their fantastic pipes. Bob Dylan, as beloved as he is for his great song writing, is terrible. Neil Young is better, but not all that much. At least he hit the notes, if only with his super-high, reedy sound - best utilized as harmony in CSNY. But at least Young and Dylan had a really strong style that you could get behind. These singers for The Band and Crazy Horse are just not good; back in the day when they came out, I thought MEH and consciously never bought an album by either group. The one song by The Band that I really think is special is "The Weight," but then almost everyone thinks that.

    So, of these two I am going with the crowd (so far) and voting for Crazy Horse. At least the vocals in this song are done by a group and hence the rather weak vocals are strengthened by numbers.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I'm not especially surprised that you're not a Crazy Horse fan, but I would have thought you'd appreciate The Band. Neither are great singer bands, but it is rock and roll so that goes with the territory I think. I like Dylan and Young because of their ragged roughshod vocal sound. But I know that a lot of folks don't much care for that style of vocalizing.

      Again, Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Crazy Horse for me as well. Good harmony, lively tempo ;-) Sounds like fun times were had in your basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, many a fine time was had in our family basement not only with my friends, but with family events. It was a wonderful place.

      A vote for Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. They both sound nasally and with a twang but I vote for Crazy Horse. It was more fun while the other I actually have to say was a bit irritating at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, the vocalists are not getting much love in this Battle. So it goes.

      A vote for Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. LEE ~

    1980-1985 was a special era for me -- featuring the oft mentioned League Of Soul Crusaders, or "Bay Street Daze". There are so many songs that instantly take me right back to that time. Songs like 'Come On, Eileen', 'Money For Nothing', 'Rocky Raccoon', a few songs by Tom Petty, and a couple dozen songs by Bruce Springsteen, etc., etc., etc.

    I was familiar with both of these songs, as you likely figured I would be.

    Some stuffs by The Band I love a lot, and 'The Last Waltz' album is truly essential to me. Other songs by The Band don't do a whole lot for me. The Dylan songs that kinda-sorta became a part of who I am are the ones where he was smashing to bits the standard songwriting format (e.g., 'It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)', 'Subterranean Homesick Blues', and such).

    'When I Paint My Masterpiece' isn't bad, but it doesn't knock me for a row-a lib-labs.

    Like everyone else so far, I'm gonna vote for CRAZY HORSE, due to the uptempo bounce of the song. (If I were drinking gin instead of coffee, I'd-a probably done a jig while it played.)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, the MTV music years gave us some good music on repeated play with neat visuals to go along. It was hit radio for the couch potato crowd and I did watch a lot of it and enjoyed those songs you mentioned.

      I still think the "Big Pink" album is one of the greatest of rock with their second album a pretty close contender. I appreciate the "Masterpiece" song now better than I did back in the seventies. The Band cranked out some pretty cool American music.

      Again it's the jiggy tune from Crazy Horse.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I really thought (sound unheard) this would be a Crazy Horse win for me. But, mark me for the Band. I guess that's why you listen to them, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I'm surprised at the support for Crazy Horse over the Band so far. Glad you listened more closely.

      At last, a vote for The Band

      Lee

      Delete
  9. From Facebook my Cousin Tom cast a vote for...

    Crazy Horse.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Mr. Bird!

    I just saw your "New Readers Click Here" page, thank you for the warm welcome, I was going to leave a comment on that page but I didn't see a place to comment so I am commenting here, I hope that's alright with you!

    I write an online platform titled "Find Meaning in Adversity" through substack (available here: https://joaquinroibal.substack.com ) I used to write a ton online and been getting back into the habit a bit more lately.

    I try to write positive and encouraging experiences from my life to encourage my readers who are going through a difficult time.

    I admire your dedication to your blog and I quite like it, just wanted to stop by and say hello, I hope you don't mind and I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee