This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Eyes on the Wall ( #BOTB & #IWSG )

The primary rule of time travel is that one cannot change the past.  But what about reediting what one has written in the past?   Is it fair?  Or is that a rule breaker?  Time for...

The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the August 2 posting of the IWSG are Kate Larkindale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence.




August 2 question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

Changing Our Past

       Decades ago when my second wife and I were looking for a cheap apartment in the University area of Richmond VA, we settled on an old place that had seen many students and the like dwelling within its walls.  One of those past tenants had begun sketching a mural on the bedroom wall that was a very fine reproduction of a Frank Frazetta work depicting some fantastical scene that I seemed to remember seeing on the cover of a fantasy novel that I had once owned. Apparently, though the walls were badly in need of repainting, the landlord had chosen not to cover up the unfinished artwork, probably not because he thought it was so beautiful, but because he didn't want to spend the money to repaint.  Whatever the case, my wife and I were okay with the artwork.  It just seemed appropriate to have on the wall of our "new" bedroom.  

        It was like the artwork that I had adorned my parents' basement with when I was in high school.  I had spent hours painting the entire basement and for years afterward it had been a party place for me and my siblings.  Everyone seemed to enjoy my artwork.  Then, years after I had moved out, my mother decided to paint over the art and cover the walls with wood paneling.  I was saddened to see my masterwork hidden away like some ancient fresco from Roman times perhaps to be rediscovered by someone in the future.  My mother was happy with the new look and that was fine because it was her house so she could do as she liked.  After my mother's death, we sold the house.  I don't know that my art will ever be uncovered, but if it is I wonder if those explorers/renovators would be interested or amazed or indifferent.  Probably the latter.  They didn't spend hours painting those walls and in reality there was not any great artistic effort involved.

        Painting a wall is one thing, but should one go back to rewrite something that has already seen publication?  I think not.  But that's the author's decision I guess.  Since I've not published anything of significance I have little input about this.  However, I see writing as a capture of one's state of mind at the time something is written.  Going back to change the essence of what had been said seems to me like going back and changing one's own journal or diary entries.  Does the writing offend?  Maybe by current sensibilities it might not seem right, but how did it seem at the time it was written or what was the intent of the author when that writing was done?

        We live in some peculiar times I think.  Writers should not have to worry about being cancelled or diminished in any way because of what they wrote in some past time as long as the intent of the message was purposeful and in keeping with the subject matter of the written work.  If the work has already been published and recognized for any merit it may have had at that time, then I don't think an author or anyone else has a right to alter it.  If not published (or only published in some limited run) then change away if that's what one wants to do.  The story belongs to the author, the book belongs to the readers.  

        

Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Eyes on the Wall

        Back to my story about the painting on my bedroom wall, here are a couple of songs about rooms with pictures on their walls.  The first song poses a mystery of a painting of a girl with no eyes.  Where are her eyes?   Maybe the answer is in the second song.

         Please listen to both songs and then tell us in the comment section which song you like the best.  Let's go...



It's a Beautiful Day  "Girl With No Eyes"  (1969)




 Nils Logren & Grin   "Lost a Number" (1972)






Time to Vote!

           Two songs that tell stories--
 Which song version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 







Next Battle on Tuesday August 15th
  
        Sure, why not.  My last midmonth Battle didn't amount to much, but it's content for the blog.  Who knows, I will probably even have results for this current Battle on August 7th.  Stay tuned and see for yourself.





 




39 comments:

  1. Maybe someone will find your artwork one day. Paneling doesn't last forever and it's out of style anyway.
    It's sad that some works are being changed. They reflect the times and shouldn't be altered.
    Not sure on the music. The second one I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I know the paneling is already gone because I saw the white walls after the new owners tore it out and repainted. That would have been the second coat at least because I know my mother painted the walls before she put up the wood paneling.

      Written works are a part of history and history does not need to be changed unless it is for true correction.

      An unsure vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Lee,

    I always enjoy reading stories from of your life. Too bad your mother covered your artwork and as a mother I bet she had moments of regret for doing it, too.

    Both battle songs are new to my ears. I think they're quite interesting sounding. I'm not sure which I absolutely like the best but I think the second one moves me the best and so I'm giving my vote to NILS LOFGREN.

    My battle is now live here. Have a bandtastic day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, my "artwork" wasn't very impressive probably so covering it likely wasn't much loss. I have pictures of the walls. Maybe I'll include them in my next post.

      Another vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hi Lee -
    As is your practice, you've given us songs that I'm sure most people have never heard, and those people that have heard them may only have a vague recollection. I fall into the latter category here.

    I have the It's A Beautiful Day album, and so I HAVE heard the first song... but it must have been 40 years since I've listened to this one! Though I'm familiar with Nils through Springsteen and Neil Young, this Nils song was not one I've ever heard and frankly it seems like a very inferior song. The lyrics seem a bit simplistic and don't fit the meter well. So I am going to vote for I.A.B.D.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I used to listen to both these albums with great frequency in the early seventies and I still regard them highly. Great albums!

      Lofgren's 1 + 1 album had one side that was the "Rockin' side" and another called the "Dreamy side". The song I've used is from the Dreamy side and all the songs are similarly simplistic romantic ditties that harken more to teenage type love than anything mature. Your assessment is correct in one sense, but the song fits the album theme very well.

      A vote for Beautiful Day.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. LEE ~

    I wasn't wild about the first song. It seemed to kind of meander around a bit to my ears. And as I've stated in the past, high-pitched sounds usually elicit a negative feeling in me. So the combination of the violins and that other instrument I was hearing (a harpsichord?) made me feel kind of... antsy(?)

    On the other hand, I have ALWAYS liked Nils Lofgren's music. I had his early stuff with Grin on LPs, so I know the song 'Lost A Number' very well. The funny, er-- odd... thing is that I think Lofgren had a weak voice and he couldn't write a great song lyric to save his life, and yet, for some reason that I can't quite put into words, I always liked his music - both with Grin *and* his solo stuff. I still own and still play fairly often his first solo album from 1975. And in case you're wondering, that is a bottle of Grand Marnier that Nils is drinking from on the cover of that 1975 album. I know this because Nils himself told me so.

    Please chalk up a vote for NILS LOFGREN.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTSCRIPT:
      Also, let me add that "Eyes On The Wall versus No Eyes On The Wall" was a pretty neat, and damned unique theme to BOTB by. Kudos on the unusual theme, my man!

      ~ D'DogG

      Delete
    2. STMcC, I was aware that you were a Lofgren fan. He did some great music in my opinion despite his "weak voice". I like his style--it's his own authentic self and that appeals to my ears. He had a good grasp of a pop sound that was appealing to hear but he never quite caught on with the wider audience.

      A vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. "Writers should not have to worry about being cancelled or diminished in any way because of what they wrote in some past time." Well said! I think this applies to all personal works of art. It's a shame your wall murals got covered, but somebody may discover them in future.

    As for the battle, these songs are unfamiliar to me. While they are both good, Girl With No Eyes grabbed me immediately. So poignant! Please give my vote to It's A Beautiful Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, the loss of my "murals" was nothing the art world will miss. I like to think that someday someone might rediscover the wall art, but I guess they'd have to know that it was there somehow and proceed to properly reveal it. They'd likely wonder why it was there and who did it.

      A vote for Beautiful Day.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Hi Lee,
    Did you, by chance, sign your artwork before it was covered up? How fantastic it would be to one day be “discovered”! Both contenders are new –and interesting - to me, but I liked “It’s a beautiful day” best. It seems to set the right kind of mood for the artwork you found on the wall. Maybe even for the artwork you left on the wall ;-)
    I agree, published work should never be changed to fit new attitudes. Not when you can write or read something else. Unpublished work is always subject to change, hopefully not as a concession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, no, I didn't sign the paintings though I think somewhere on one wall I wrote a quote that I attributed to myself. Someone would be in for a surprise and a mystery if they were to uncover those wall paintings.

      A vote for Beautiful Day.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I don't believe in rewriting to appease anyone. If they don't like it, don't read it. What's happening in Florida is disgusting. Now, as for the songs, I really like the first song because it sounds like something from an enchanted forest. The first band gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, one thing for sure is that you can't please everyone. Follow your inner guide.

      A vote for Beautiful Day.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I vote for Lost a Number.

    When something is created, it reflects the artist and the times, and it shouldn't be changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, our words are a part of our history. Listen to them.

      A vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Nils Logren for me. IABD was a bit meandering for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I hear what you're saying...

      Another vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I liked Nils Lofgren a whole lot better than It's A Beautiful Day, so they get my vote.

    When Mom and the three of us moved to our house in beautiful Northfield, I took an immediate dislike to the wallpaper in my room. It was drawings of soldiers from different European armies from the late 18th century, and I put up a fuss about it. Finally, I took a felt-tip pen and provided "dialogue" in cartoon balloons. She was ready to kill me, but I got the room repapered. They papered over my artwork, which makes me wonder if they decided to re-paper the room and take off all the wallpaper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, that wallpaper sounds familiar. Like something I've seen in a movie or somewhere. I think it sounds kind of cool, but I am amused by the idea of your creative artwork.

      A vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I hadn't heard either of these tunes, but it was definitely Nils Lofgren that won me over today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, these are indeed songs from the vault that you probably might not have heard if you weren't familiar with the albums they came from. Great albums!

      A vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. You wrote: "We live in some peculiar times I think." That sure is the truth. Such controversy over books that were written a long time ago. Are we trying to rewrite history?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, rewriting old literature is an abomination in my view.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I think I prefer Girl with No Eyes.

    Yeah, I'm one of those people who will eventually go back to rewrite my book 1... but not due to the areas I'm conflicted over (those will stay), but because really the story needs better structure and more tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, if an author feels the need to go back and change something then that means the book was released before it was ready. I'd rather leave an already published book as it was originally done. Maybe going back and doing a bit of rewrite with notations and explanations might be okay for the scholars, but I don't think the average reader cares that much.

      A vote for Beautiful Day.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. I've been tempted to rewrite a published story, but have only done so in my head. Good idea to leave well enough alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.Lee, I agree that it's better to just leave it and move on to newer things.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. The woman with no eyes is sort of creepy so I'm voting for Nils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, yeah, it's more creepy than romantic maybe.

      A vote for Grin.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. I think an author changing their own writing is their choice, but I'm not a fan of going back to edit older books for modern sensibilities. We erase history that way, and erasing history dooms us to repeat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, sure, it's their choice, but I wouldn't do it. But who knows? I hate erasing history.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. thecontemplativecat here. The current state of book ban or rewriting classic is almost obscene. Oh, the times. I liked the whimsy of The Girl with no Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, I don't think there is really much in the way of actual book banning, but this thing about rewriting books to fit modern thought and emotion is ridiculous.

      A vote for Beautiful Day.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. I don't think you should ever rewrite something you believe in or that serves your character well just because someone feels uncomfortable about it. People act in all kinds of ways and not all of them are going to appeal to all people. It's important to remember that, and that a diverse range of perspectives make the world a more interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, you can't please everybody and there is always someone who won't agree or will be offended by something. They need to get over it because it's their problem and not the problem of something written in the past.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. Hello! Recently stumbled across your blog by following multiple rabbit holes of the world wide web. I admire your dedication to writing and I quite like your blog, Kudos!

    Regarding changing / re writing something once it's been "published" (or even simply written as some type of record)--I am whole heartedly against any type of changes once something has been "birthed" into the world through whatever medium including something as private as a journal.

    My reason for this is similar to what you said, the product (writing) is a reflection of a certain place and a certain time, for a certain purpose. Changing / editing this writing can have the effect of not allowing future readers to adequately feel the historical reality of when the writing was written.

    For Example, imagine a story set in the 1800s, and instead of riding a horse the protagonist takes off in a 1960's stingray simply because the stingray is better and faster than a horse. No Thanks!

    I hope you don't mind my comment on your lovely blog, I will definitely try to drop in more often if that's okay with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FMIA, nice to see you here and I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I think we're on the same page with this.

      Stop by anytime!

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee