This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Beat the System ( #BOTB )

     The heat has come to Los Angeles.  I'd been seeing the hot weather reports from the rest of the country and now it's our turn.  Trying to minimize A/C use I'll be doing whatever I can to mostly stay home and beat the heat.  Maybe I can beat the heat, but I don't think I can beat the system.  However we can enjoy the beat of the music with another....



Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Beat the System

        Recently I was housecleaning on a Saturday morning and playing a CD of "greatest hits" by the rock group Petra.  It had been many years since I'd listened to this music and I was enjoying those old songs I used to listen to so much back in the eighties.  After pausing the music to do some outside chores, I came back to resume listening to the next song which was "Beat the System"--one of my favorite cuts from the album of the same name released in 1984.

         But wait!  Something didn't sound right about the song and I was confused. Checking the CD sleeve credits I realized that this was a collection of remakes of songs originally sung by Petra's earlier singer Greg X Volz as updated with new singer John Schlitt.  They had recorded an album of cover versions of their own songs.  

       After my surprise about the difference in the sounds of the songs, I jumped on the idea of a Battle of the Band redoing their own song.  You can probably think of a lot of other great examples, but for now I hope you'll give this one a chance...


Petra (with Greg X Volz)  "Beat the System"  (1984)

 







Petra (with John Schlitt)  "Beat the System"  (2000)









Time to Vote!

           Face the heat and vote for your favorite. 
 Just listen and see what you think.  Which song version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 






Next Battle on Tuesday August 1
      
           Somewhere along the line I'll have results for this contest as long there is enough participation.  Maybe I'll have a thing to say about something else.  Maybe about the heat.  Or maybe about beating the system.  Stay cool..,






7 comments:

  1. LEE ~

    1984, you say? I'm shocked! I'm SHOCKED to find this song comes from '84. It doesn't sound anything like those Pop songs from the '80s.

    Between these two recordings, I definitely preferred the John Schlitt rendition to the earlier one.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 1984 version better. I like the old type music video too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee,

    I know the band Petra but I don't believe I listened to their music much if any. I liked over all the cover version better. My vote goes to Petra (with John Schlitt)! Thanks for stopping by and reminding me of your current battle, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for John Schlitt. I didn't care for the first one...too much. This version was nicer on my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never listened to Petra. It was not into this style of music at the time, and I totally missed them. Obviously, I heard the name mentioned, but nobody I knew liked or listened.

    I am going to vote for the newer version with Schlitt. I think his voice has a slight "Bon Jovi" quality to it. Do you hear that also?
    Sixgun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting battle! I'm not familiar with the band or the song, so no bias involved here. I prefer the vocals from the original - more "forceful" IMO, but the musical arrangement of the remake is better. What to do?? I listened again and am going to break your shutout by choosing Greg X Volz. Vocals win out. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Results are now up in the interest of those who voted.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee