This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Tears of Rage (BOTB)

    Testing 1, 2, 3...can you hear me?   Or that is, can you see me?  I kept getting messages about changing something on my blog and I didn't do it.  At least I don't know what I did.  Does Google really think I can figure these things out even with all of their tutorials etc?  Maybe I'm here or maybe I'm not.  Either way I'm still doing this Battle of the Bands segment.

Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

Tears of Rage

      The song was written by Bob Dylan and Richard Manuel (of The Band) and first recorded by Dylan in a so-so version (you can listen to it here, but I'm not impressed by it).  The absolute best version was the one released by The Band on their debut album in 1968.  I received that album for Christmas in 1968 and from the first cut on the album (the song of this Battle) I was blown away.  For me and many others this album remains one of the best albums of all time.  It was unlike anything I had heard up until then   If you are interested in hearing this version you can find it here.  The focus of this Battle is a couple of other decent covers.  Listen to see which you like best.

Gene Clark  "Tears of Rage"  (1971)

     Though he put out several solo albums and collaborations with other artists, Gene Clark is best known as one of the founding members of The Byrds.  His version of "Tears of Rage" comes from his 1971 solo album.




Ian & Sylvia  "Tears of Rage"  (1968)

      Sounding like they're at a Hootenanny comes this Canadian duo who were popular on the Folk scene in the sixties.  Nice male/female harmonizing, but is it as good as Gene Clark's version?  You listen and then decide...






Time to Vote!

          I won't be crying tears of rage if you don't vote, but I'd appreciate it if you would participate.  Just listen and see what you think.  Which song version do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 





Speaking of Voting

     Maybe some of you noticed that I didn't post my previous results.  I didn't forget.  I just didn't feel very motivated to post a results post.  Thank you Six Gun for checking up on me with your thoughtful email.  I'm fine.  It's just a blogging ennui that comes partly from summer I guess.

       So how did my previous Battle turn out (for those few who voted)?  That Battle was two versions of the 13th Floor Elevators' song "Dust" which I think is an outstanding song but voters did not seem to agree.  I will say that this song was long one of my least favorites from their Easter Everywhere album but recent repeated listenings and reading about the song gave me a greater appreciation for it.   Now it is one of my favorite songs of any artist.

       I like both covers a great deal so it was not a slam dunk for me,  I like the clarity of presentation and faithfulness to the spirit of the Elevators that the Tommy Hall Schedule showed.  And as an Elevator tribute band they get special acclamation from me.  However I love the production of the Misty Lane version.  They provide an ethereal psychedelic experience with their version that puts me in mind of other groups that I enjoy such as Mercury Rev and My Morning Jacket.  Very trippy fun.  My vote goes to Misty Lane.

       Actually the outcome of this contest was not too bad..

Final Vote Tally

Tommy Hall Schedule         5 votes 

Misty Lane                           4 votes



Next BOTB Results Post Coming

        I'll likely post the results around Monday July 10 or something like that.  I'll see how I feel about it.





25 comments:

  1. Hi Lee loved the song, I vote for Gene Clark.
    Hope you can get my blog , had a small problem but now solved.
    Take care, also best wishes to Marley.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I'll be checking up on your blog soon.
      Marley was doing very well when I saw her a few weeks ago. She's still playing music.

      First vote goes to Gene Clark.


      Lee

      Delete
  2. I like the second one a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, that's a vote for...

      Ian & Sylvia.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I like Ian and Sylvia's cover better than Gene Clarks, because I like their voices better than his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H., as good of a reason as any.

      Another vote for Ian & Sylvia.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. It's funny how all our ears hear something different. John liked the voices better with Ian and Sylvia, but I liked Gene Clark's better. The extra-speedy vibrato of Ian put me off a bit, and I thought the Clark version was more emotive. It is good ol' interesting song that I cannot believe I was unfamiliar with. I think I was 1) too young (13 in 1968) and 2) listening to either The Who or Beatles or Monkees. This would not have been somethings ANYONE I knew was even aware of at the time it was released. Anyway, I want to cast my vote for Gene Clark.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, preference is one of those mysteries that might be solved by delving deep enough, but often it's difficult to say why we prefer one thing over another. I agree about Ian's voice. The cover of this Band is what drew me in. The music cinched it for me.

      A vote for Gene Clark.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Oh give me those crazy, groovy Canucks...:)) I like the way they sing this much more than the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I thought you might vote that way.

      It's Ian & Sylvia again.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Hi Lee,
    I agree, Dylan didn't sell it well. But it is a cool song. My vote goes to Gene Clark and how his voice whispers 'listen'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee!

    Google can be a real pain at times, but I sure enjoy their platform.
    Btw, your comment on my blog went through the first time, I may have approved it right after you refreshed the screen, but it's there in it's full glory.
    I liked both of the contestants. I don't recall hearing the song before so there was no way I could enter this with bias.
    As it's Canada Day today, I think I will give my vote to Ian and Sylvia.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, blogland has looked the same since the 1st and my blog still seems to be here. I don't know anything.

      Oh Canada! Ian & Sylvia.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Like my fellow Canuck, Birgit, I'm going with the home team, Ian and Sylvia. And, like Mary said, it is Canada Day, afterall. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, Canadian Pride! Happy Independence Day!

      A vote for Ian & Syvia.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I can't say the song really grabbed me, but the harmonies on Ian and Sylvia were great, and made the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I guess different things grab different people. I'm a harmony fan too.

      Ian & Sylvia.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Clark. Not sure why.
    I hope the Internet starts behaving better for you.
    July 4 is Alice in Wonderland Day, a commemoration of when the story was first told to the Liddell sisters by Lewis Carroll in 1862.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. LEE ~

    Despite being a long-time fan of Dylan's work (he and Roger Miller hugely influenced my writing), this song isn't a big favorite of mine. He wrote so many songs that I feel displayed much greater wordplay and new, influential, inventive ideas. By comparison, this song seems to me like fairly standard Folk music, melodically and lyrically.

    >>>... "And life is brief"

    Really? It sure feels long to me. I have memories of Orange County from the early 1960s that seem like they couldn't possibly be from this same lifetime! I honestly have a difficult time wrapping my mind around the fact that the little kid I remember from that "world" is still me. U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E-! Is there no end to this life?

    Anyway, to get on with the Battle at hand...

    The Gene Clark rendition was very straightforward and didn't draw me in at all.

    I definitely preferred the IAN & SYLVIA version because the harmonizing added a little element to the song, which otherwise seems kind of flat and not particularly interesting to me.

    Incidentally, I agree with you that the recording by The Band, with Richard Manuel singing lead, is easily the best version of this song.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, the world is definitely a far different place than when I was a kid or even 10 or 20 years ago.

      A vote for Ian & Sylvia.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. From Facebook my cousin Tom cast his vote for...

    Gene Clark.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy, thanks for your vote for...

    Gene Clark

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Results for this Battle have now been posted. Check it out and let me know what you think.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee