This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The Snowball that Swallowed my World ( #IWSG & #BOTB Results )

       I was just hanging out waiting for the holidays when a massive snowball rolled up behind me.  I tried to get away, but then it just swallowed me up and kept on rolling.   And here I am now, rolling to who knows what... 


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the December 7 posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Chemist Ken, Natalie Aguirre, Nancy Gideon, and Cathrina Constantine!






December 7 question - It's holiday time! Are the holidays a time to catch up or fall behind on writer goals?


         When November started I had little idea of what was to come.   Then, things started happening and the month started flying like no other November I can remember.  Unexpected things that were good for the most part, but very busy for my life.

         First, there was a surprise trip to East Tennessee courtesy of the son of my best friend who was to celebrate his 50th anniversary with his wife.  I had not planned on going for the anniversary luncheon, but my friend from my high school days really wanted me to come so his kids surprised him by bringing me there.  It was a delightful four day whirlwind that also allowed me to spend some very good time with my brother and two sisters.

        Then, a couple days after my return home, my oldest daughter and her family came for a week and a half visit for the Thanksgiving holiday.  They treated my wife and I to a mini-vacation in Scottsdale Arizona at a magnificent resort that was all decked out for Christmas.  It was spectacular!

         After that four day excursion, we had an enjoyable few days leading up to Thanksgiving.  I prepared a feast that included turkey, ham, and all sorts of sides upon which we all gorged ourselves.  I'll pat myself on the back for that achievement, which is something I hadn't done for the past few years.  Two of our daughters came with their families and we had a great time.

         Then after everyone had left, my wife came down with a mild bout of COVID (of course!).   As she was recovering I came down with a bit of an irritating cold that set me back a bit.  Fortunately I tested negative for COVID, but still I didn't feel like doing too much for several days.

        As we recovered, my wife's father went to the hospital and was diagnosed with COVID as was her sister who lives with their father.  My father-in-law has been in declining health for the past many months and going to the hospital didn't help.  He's still there as I write this post and my guess is that he will likely pass away today or soon after.  After all, he is 98 years old and was having a difficult time doing anything for himself.   He's had a long run in his life so I think we can be thankful that he made it this far.

      That's just November, and any writer goals I might have had didn't get very far for this busy month.  So, to answer the IWSG question for December, I think it's probably safe to say I'm going to be falling way behind on the writing plans that I had been considering and likely I won't gather much momentum in the weeks ahead.

       But who knows?  I don't need much more in my schedule, but I'm ready for anything.  I'm pretty sure there will soon be a funeral and family gatherings.  And next week my wife and I will be having our 25th anniversary.  What a combination of events and occurrences!  That's the way it goes sometimes.   I'm not even sure about Christmas and New Year.  I'm going to take it all as it comes.  I can do writing later I guess.


Battle of the Bands Results


         

         My most recent Battle was an example that goes against the grain of conventional BOTB thinking of not pitting a more unknown song version against a more known version that was a "hit".  My song choice was "Rock 'n Roll (I Gave You All the Best Years of my Life" using the relatively obscure version by Cajun fiddler Doug Kershaw up against the more known Mac Davis version that made it to  #15 on the Billboard charts back in 1974.  

        The Davis version hasn't aged too well and like a few noted it's kind of a lifeless schlocky tribute to rock music while sounding insipidly poppish.  Mac Davis tanked in this Battle with most of the votes going to Doug Kershaw's up tempo version.  Add my vote to this latter group.

Final Vote Tally

Mac Davis                2 votes

Doug Kershaw          11 votes



Next Battle of the Bands on ?????

          As I noted earlier, I've been busy and things might not let up too much for a while.  I'll decide about my next Battle in the weeks ahead, but I'm thinking it might be January 15.  I'll see what everyone else is doing as well.

        Have a wonderful Christmas and an excellent year to come!








8 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear that about your father-in-law. Prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, I'm really sorry about your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of ups and downs for sure. I hope December brings some peace and continued happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Yeah, 98 years is a long time, but it still hurts to lose people we care about. I hope you find more joy than heartache this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful season you've had so far, Lee. Albeit bittersweet, as well. You'll have quite a to reflect on as you ring in a new year. Did you, by chance, stay at the Wigwam in Phoenix? Yay for Doug Kershaw - and have a delightfully quiet Christmas ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad there was a cushion of good before the blows of bad. I know ten people suffering from Covid right now. (One with the long-covid that's attacking their organs and really destroying their health.) A shame we don't live in a world able to defeat such a virus. So much for HG Wells using such a thing in War of the Worlds to save us. 👽 I hope things start going better for you soon.

    Dewey Decimal System Day is December 10. 📚
    “The only limit to your success is your own imagination” – Shondra Rhimes
    I wish you a merry holiday ⛄ season, and a New Year full of peace, joy, and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hokey-Smoke, LEE! Looks like you've been packing half a lifetime - the good, the bad & the sad - into just a couple months. I couldn't handle THAT MUCH concentrated activity anymore. In fact, my desire to travel has been pretty much fully satiated at this point; I don't like being gone from the house more than about 3 or 4 hours at a stretch.

    That was quite an impressive blowout in this BOTB installment. And you're completely right about the rarity of the thing. The outcome completely belied the conventional BOTB wisdom of not pitting a more unknown song version against a well-known version that was a "hit". This song never registered with me in any way back in '74. Unlike the bigger Mac Davis song from two years earlier, 'Baby, Don't Get Stuck On Me'. Well, like the saying goes, "There are exceptions to every rule".

    In case we don't hear from you until January 15th, I wish you NOW a Happy & Healthy New Year! Let's hope 2023 is a return to some form of sanity (even though we already know it won't be... 'cause The Bible tells me so).

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you two are fighting the Covid and who knows what else. We had Covid in June, or May. Mild cases, but we were napping on the couch and chair. It is great to see your name !

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee