This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Hole In My Pocket ( #IWSG & #BOTB )

      I'm back!!  Well, kind of...

      After a trying two months of November and December, I was looking forward to an upgrade of my internet with the installation of fiber optic delivery of my internet service.  At the beginning of January the service was put into place and everything seemed to work great in our house---except for my computer.  It would not connect to the internet.  Annoying hours of time spent with the tech support of my internet service arrived at no satisfying conclusion. I'm pretty sure they are just looking at their manual of common solutions and so far I haven't spoken to any actual experts.  For now I've decided to give this a break.  I've actually been enjoying time mostly away from the internet, but this cannot remain.  I've got to find the solution which I know is there somewhere.

     Contacting the tech support for the manufacturer of my computer was even worse.  The guy on the other end of the line sounded like I was bothering him and, indeed, he was probably on the other side of the world asleep when I called.  He suggested that I buy a new computer.  Of course he's probably right, but my computer had been working just fine before the transition to fiber optic.  I let that guy go back to sleep and tried my provider again to no avail.

       So here I've been without internet for a month now.  I managed to borrow time on my wife's computer in order to compose this current post, but I can't park myself on this one like I used to do on my own.   I'm still pondering what to do.  My trusty Lenovo was bequeathed to me by my step-father who died over ten years ago.  He had bought it about a year before he died so I guess in computer years my machine is pretty darn old.  But still--it was working fairly good.

       I do need a new computer to do my blogging and other internet activities.  But I'd also like something that would be especially good for composing music and supporting good software for that endeavor.   Any suggestions?

The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the February 1 posting of the IWSG are Jacqui Murray, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Pat Garcia, and Gwen Gardner!





        I've got nothing for this month's question, but since I missed January's posting I sure didn't want to miss another.   So here's my acknowledgement of writing insecurity.  And with this computer issue weighting my mind I've been somewhat insecure these days.  

        And looming on the horizon now?   The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is rapidly upcoming!  The A to Z Team has been on top of things getting ready for April.  A big thank you to them!  Be sure to check out the new header on the A to Z blog page.  The Team is doing a great job without me so I feel good about that aspect of my blogging world.

        Hope many of you will join us this year for another year of blogging through the alphabet.  And hopefully I'll have things in my house in order by April.


Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Hole in my Pocket

       As I've indicated above, I'm looking at some potential computer expenses ahead of me in addition to all the usual household expenses.  If you have natural gas in your home you have a good sense of what I'm talking about.  Those prices have quadrupled for us.  And our $90 charge on our last bill is nothing compared to the $300+ bills I've been hearing about from other people.  What are people going to do?

      Add to all of that you've got price of gas for your vehicles and groceries.  Eggs have gone crazy!  When I went to Costco last week people were scooping up eggs like they did toilet paper in 2020.  Grabbing a meal at McDonalds has taken on the financial aura of a meal in a fancy restaurant in days of not all that long ago.  Eating out in a normal sit down restaurant is like a major investment.  We just don't go out like we used to.

      I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like they've got a hole in their pocket where money is rapidly pouring through.   Can it get any worse?   Of course it will.  Maybe I'll stop eating.  Eating a whole lot less would probably do me a lot of good anyway.  That's just not the way I pictured losing a few pounds.

       So with all this in mind why not have a Battle of the Bands featuring songs about having a hole in your pocket.  There are a number of songs with the title "Hole in my Pocket" so there was no problem in coming up with a few.  Here's three different sounding songs from over the past fifty-some years.  Take a listen and tell us which one you like best.


The Rockets   "Hole in My Pocket"  (1968)  






Sheryl Crow  "Hole in My Pocket"   (2002)








Europe  "Hole in my Pocket"   (2015)







Time to Vote!

           It doesn't cost you anything to play along with us and it only takes a few minutes!  Just listen and appreciate.  Which song do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Battle Results on Wednesday February 8th

           I plan to post results then.  I hope.  And I'm pretty sure I will.  I just don't know which computer I'll be using to do it on.  I'll be doing my best to visit as many posts as I can, but please bear with me if I'm not too quick about it.  




38 comments:

  1. You had us concerned being away for so long!
    Find someone who can help you build your own computer rather than just buying one as-is. Then you will get the power and components you need.
    And you know I have to pick Europe even though I really don't like the band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I've thought about going that route of a custom designed computer but not sure where to go where it will be affordable. I'll just have to keep researching.

      First vote goes to Europe.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. There is nothing more frustrating than a computer that won't connect to the internet! I really hope you can get it fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra, I've actually been somewhat appreciative of my limited internet time. But I need to get back on more consistently.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I think it's time for a new computer. Maybe its age is the reason the new optics won't connect.

    I remember Europe. I like that version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, a new computer is probably in order, but I hate to put out the expenditure with so many other things we need to do in our home. And then there's the high prices of everything else these days.

      A vote for Europe.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, Lee!
    As for computer issues, I'm with Alex. A "geek" can not only fix the problem, but help you customize as well.
    Cool battle! "Hole in my pocket" calls to mind a racecar driver we used to know who named his car "Empty Pockets"
    I like the sound of Europe, but my vote goes to Sheryl Crow for her predictably cheery tone ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I'm waiting for my "geek" to come my way. I don't have a lot of confidence in a lot of service people these days.

      Another vote for Sheryl Crow.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Hi Lee -
    I'll address the battle first. All three songs are meh to me. Sheryl Crow is not a favorite: just standard, formulaic fare. Same with Europe. The Rockets I had not heard before, and it sounded different... at least from what you hear in 2023, so they get my vote.

    I will comment on the computer issue here rather than email, since it is obviously hard for you to do that now. In fact, I am not sure you ever received my last email to you. I am sorry to your readers: stop reading now unless you want to read a stranger's computer opinions.

    My opinion is that (and this is the opinion of a fairly knowledgeable amateur) connecting to the internet should not be difficult if the settings are right. If the settings are correct, the computer should find where connect, the provider should see the right credentials, and if the two match... you're in. If just one thing is off, you probably are OUT. I think you can make yours work with the help of someone who knows what they are doing and save the cost of getting a new computer. I do not know who that would be. If you have any friend nearby that can actually meet and have them fiddle... do it.

    The easiest to use computer for what you are doing is a Mac, but they are the most expensive. They are also controlling and invasive. In fact, in 2020 I gave my six months old $2000 Macbook Pro to my son and switched to a ten year old Lenovo that I converted to Linux Mint. It went pretty easily and I am happy for the increased privacy, though NOTHING is as smooth as a Mac for dealing with music. You do a lot of that. Linux is very, very capable and flexible, but for anything beyond the basics you need to either learn or look up code to use in the terminal window. You might ask friends if they have an old Mac they still have but no longer need and either buy it cheap or maybe they'll give it to you. The shelf life of a Mac is MUCH longer than a PC, though not as long as Linux and the OS requires much more in terms of resources.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask: will your computer connect anywhere else? If you can, get it to any other wifi it has connected to before and make sure it still does so. If so, that will eliminate some choices as to what the problem is. If it does not, I think it narrows it down even further.
      Six

      Delete
    2. Six Gun, I strongly feel like my problem has a relatively simple solution, but so far I haven't found it. I see networks from all over the neighborhood that I could connect to if I had their passwords, but my own network is not on that list. Very weird.

      A vote for The Rockets.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Mary, thanks for your vote for...

      Sheryl Crow.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. BOIDMAN ~

    I gots nuttin' to contribute in the way of trying to help you remedy your computer problem. I'll be the first person to say that I don't know the first thing about computers.

    As for the Battle... I hadn't ever heard any of these songs before. I liked The Rockets pretty well.

    Then I was shocked - SHOCKED!, I tell you - to find that I liked the Sheryl Crow song. This is the first song I've ever heard by her that I can honestly say I enjoyed. (At some points it reminded me a bit of some older Rickie Lee Jones stuffs. And I've been a fan of Rickie's work since her debut album.)

    Black Sabbath-- er... I meant, Europe... Well, Europe's song I did not care for in the least (as you knew I wouldn't).

    To my own amazement, SHERYL gets my "bote" here.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I'm also shocked that you preferred Crow. Just so you don't eat it.

      A vote for Sheryl Crow.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. The tech folks can't remote in to see what's up? I get it might be hardware connections, but maybe it's a software thing. I wish I could give you my tech gurus contact. He'd fix it--but we're in Orange County CA.

    Best of luck with the tech!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui, I don't think the "tech" folks with my provider know much about technical stuff. I need to reach the one who knows.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I hate computers when I am supposed to know what I am to do to make them work. All I want is to turn it on and go. I hope you get the belp you need.
    Listening to all 3, I vote for the first one because it sounds like it comes from That 60s era. I didn't like Crow's version which was boring and the 3rd is too heavy metal for me.
    The prices are crazy plus the grocery stores cheat. They take off the first 2 sets of leaves from the lettuce and charge $6 for a wilted piece of crap! We go to the market now. It was disgusting when out top food places, like Lola's came out saying they made record profit I 2022 and yet, charge a huge amount. Just nasty. Glad to see you are back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, the only real plus side of the current high price groceries is that as we get older we eat less. Still our grocery bills are higher than they used to be. Everywhere we seem to be getting less for more money.

      A vote for The Rockets.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. As a child born in the 80s, I feel the need to vote for Sheryl Crow. She'll always have a spot in my nostalgic heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arlee, you need a new computer. Period. I just bought my third Mac Mini for the desktop. Generally, the best software for writing music runs on the Mac. I also have a McBook Air that does a nice job and would run whatever software you would need, though it would still be more expensive than the Mini.

    Anyway, for the BotB: I liked The Rockets best. Sheryl Crow's voice is annoying and Europe was too heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, Yeah, you're probably right about the new computer. It's something I've been thinking about for the past couple of years. Oh well.

      Yay! Another vote for The Rockets.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Kudos to you, Arlee for hanging in there. I get what you're saying about needing to post. I've been tempted to miss posting a few times in the past, but I always worry something will take me out and I'll miss a second post and be sent to the end of the line ~ lol. I'm a huge fan of Apple computers, and their Apple Care people are awesome. I tend to buy a new MacBook Pro every few years. We have house sitters in our home while we are in Hawaii. I know the gas and electric bill will be huge because it's very cold in Colorado. It beats the cost of broken pipes though. Meanwhile in Hawaii we're eating lots of peanut butter sandwiches. Have a great month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fundy Blue, I don't like being sent back to the end of the line so I thought it important to keep up with my IWSG post at least. I've long heard good things about Apple computers and have had my mind on one--especially for the music aspect..

      I enjoy peanut butter sandwiches frequently as well. Beats cooking.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Rotten luck with the computer issues. I hate that kind of stuff. I wish things would just keep working for a couple of decades at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, we've got a lot of things around our house that have been working for a long time. And my computer has certainly held up well.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Best wishes for the new year!

    Ugh, computer woes. Hope you can find a good new computer soon!

    Voting for The Rockets :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deniz, hope I find an excellent computer at an exceptional price.

      A vote for The Rockets.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Computer problems are the worst. Unfortunately, maybe your old computer doesn't like the new system. Good luck, Arlee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually use a Lenovo for my personal and internet doodlings. Although the OS is Chrome, it still gets the job done for me. I agree with another commenter that you need a new one. 10 years for a computer is actually pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, I'm impressed that my Lenovo lasted as long as it did. Never had a computer with that kind of life before.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Sheryl Crow gets my vote, it's catchy song an old fashioned pop song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, catchy it is...

      A vote for Sheryl Crow.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Inflation is running rampant everywhere and you're not alone in feeling the pinch, Lee. How aggravating for you to have these computer troubles as well! Your laptop is probably too old for the new technology. HP still has good options at reasonable prices. A couple of years ago, I splurged on a new LG Gram laptop with 17" display. It's feather-light and the battery lasts for hours, but it wasn't cheap. On to the battle...

    I'm a fan of Europe's from way back and prefer their take on this, although The Rockets' version is pretty good too. Sheryl Crow's voice doesn't hold much appeal for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, inflation is crazy and the California govt regulations makes it all worse. We don't take pleasure drives anymore like we used to. Those $100 fill-ups are too much for casual recreation.

      My wife's laptop is an HP that's a few years old and it seems to be pretty good. Still I like my desktop better.

      A vote for Europe.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. Cathy, I have most everything on an external back up. I have a feeling that my computer is not connecting to the upgraded internet due to something relatively simple that the techs I've spoken to haven't figured out yet. I'll fix it eventually.

    A vote for Sheryl Crow.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know if you use one a VPN, but that can cause Internet connection issues for one reason or another. It shouldn't be a problem at all but companies are noisy bodies. Hopefully, your issue is fixed now.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee