This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, December 1, 2022

Rock 'n Roll (I Gave You the Best Years of My Life) ( #BOTB )


        This has been an extremely busy November for me with trips to East Tennessee and Phoenix AZ as well as visiting family members for Thanksgiving.  So much fun!  I'm tired and it's still a few weeks until Christmas.  Life is good!

       But I'm back on the blog and it's time for another...


Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Rock 'n Roll (I Gave You All the Best Years of My Life

        Lately I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my life.  Housecleaning (and organizing) does that to me sometimes.  Looking at all of the stuff I own makes me wonder what I should continue to keep and what I need to get rid of.   The biggest part of my accumulation of stuff is my collection of music on vinyl, tape, and CD.  I've spent a fortune on those things over the years and now when I look at my music library I often think how I'd like to have back all the money I spent on this collection.

         However, all that music sure provided me with countless hours of listening pleasure.  There is a wide variety of musical styles in my audio library, but the preponderance of this collection is in the genre of rock and roll.  Rock music has provided me with so much listening pleasure since the sixties up until the present time.  The money spent would be nice to have now, but there could be no replacing those musical memories.

          The song for this Battle installment popped into my head the other day for some reason I can't recall.  I'd say most of you might not be familiar with "Rock 'n Roll (I Gave You the Best Years of My Life)" but it's likely that many of you might identify with some of the sentiments of the song which was written by Australian singer/songwriter Kevin Johnson.  The song is rarely played on radio or elsewhere even though it's been recorded by several artists over the years.

          Here are two versions for you to compare and decide which you like best...


Mac Davis     Rock 'n Roll (I Gave You the Best Years of My Life)  (1974)

         Mac Davis was a big star in the seventies and into the eighties.  He had several hit songs (including the ones he wrote for Elvis Presley).  For a while he often appeared in TV shows, movies, and onstage and continued working in show business until his death at 78 in 2020. 

           Mac's version of this song was the highest charting version in the United States reaching #15 on the Billboard charts in 1974.   Listen and then move on to the next version....




 Doug Kershaw      Rock 'n Roll (I Gave You the Best Years of My Life)  (1973)

          Doug Kershaw has had a long respectable career as a singer and fiddle player.  He never has reached superstar status, but he has secured a solid place in country music history.  His version of "Best Years of My Life" is the only one I ever knew until recently.  When I first heard it back in 1973 I went right out and bought the album which I discussed in my 'K' entry for this year's A to Z Challenge.  

          Kershaw's version picks up the tempo a bit from most other versions I've listened to.  Now you take a listen and tell us what you think about it...






Time to Vote!

           You don't have to give the best years of your life to play in this game.  It only takes a few minutes!  Just listen and appreciate.  Which song do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Battle Results Wednesday December 7th

       You will find the results of this Battle on Wednesday December 7th.   I'm going to continue taking a bit of a blog break through the holidays.  I'll make a couple of Insecure Writer's Support Group posts, but other than that I'm going to do whatever it is I'll be doing.  I hope it's mostly fun and productive.  Be sure to stop back by for the results!




25 comments:

  1. Can't say I've ever heard it.
    If it's about rock 'n' roll, then it should definitely not be done country. I vote for the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I would agree with that...

      First vote goes to Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee, long time away again, pleased life for you is good,
    My vote for a very good song that I can well recall goes to Mac Davis.. Loved the Rock"n" Roll era.
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I think this is a very good song. Glad you agree.

      A vote for Mac Davis.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hi Lee, between money or musical memories, I'd choose memories too ;-) While Mac Davis is a welcome blast from the past, I really liked Doug Kershaw's more upbeat version. Kershaw gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, memories are what life is really made of.

      Another vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. LEE ~

    I'm vaguely familiar with this song, as I'm sure I must have heard the Mac Davis version on AM radio back in the day. However, nothing about the song ever really registered with me; it was just there. And I still feel the same way about it.

    Between these two, I prefer the KERSHAW version, primarily because it was more upbeat, a bit more lively. Yeah, the song is about Rock 'N' Roll, so I think it should at least have a bit more spunk than the Mac Davis rendition.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, funny that I can't recall the Mac Davis version, but I wasn't listening to that much radio back then. When I first heard Kershaw's version it really grabbed me. I like the story and sentiments of the song.

      A vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook comes a vote for...

    Doug Kershaw.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this will be a blowout for Kershaw, and he gets my vote too. I never liked Mac Davis one tiny little bit. I remember he was constantly on variety shows for a while when I was young, and I was puzzled by that. I just never thought he was more than a lounge singer quality

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I think you're right about the blowout. I didn't pay that much attention to Davis back in the day, but I did notice that he was on all sorts of TV shows. I didn't get into his music.

      Another vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I listened to both and liked the less-overproduced sound of Doug Kershaw and his tempo better, so I'll go with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I get what you're saying.

      Another vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. This is an interesting battle but I give my vote to Doug because I like his voice better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, thanks for your vote for...

      Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. L.Diane, I think you're gonna be right.

      A vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Mary B, got you down for a vote for...

      Mac Davis.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I always like Mac Davis and fondly remember his weekly TV series. Your battle song I thought I knew but after listening to both artists I don't think I have. As much as I like Mac, I think I preferred the uptempo version by Doug Kershaw. Please give him my vote! I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving and safe travels. Thanks for stopping by to vote in my BOTB last week. I'm playing catch up today. Have a marvelous Monday and Christmas season, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I don't recall ever watching Mac's show when it was on, but I must have caught a glimpse now and then. I wasn't really a big Mac Davis fan.

      Another vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Joylene, and all the best to you in this Christmas season.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Hmmm. Neither version is quite my style, but Doug Kershaw is easier for me to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, it's music from a long time ago it seems.

      A vote for Doug Kershaw.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee