This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, September 8, 2022

How Far Was Far Enough? ( #BOTB Results )

 Miles and miles before I sleep and then wake up and keep going.  That's how far away from L.A. I should go to stay....


Battle of the Bands Results



           In my previous Battle of the Bands post I pondered the question in song of how far would I like to get from Los Angeles (staying within the confines of the United States).   My musical options were 1000 miles represented by artist Vanessa Carlton or 2000 miles represented by The Pretenders.  I do not recall ever having heard either song before so I went into this Battle with mostly unbiased ears.

           Regarding the question posed, 1000 miles is not enough for me.  I'd much rather go 2000 miles from L.A.  But that didn't win my vote for Chrissie Hynde and company.  The song by the Pretenders is just fine--good vocals and production presenting a pleasant piece of Christmas pop music.  I liked it.  However, they did not get my vote.

      My preference in this match is the youthful exuberance of Vanessa Carlton. Neither song epitomized originality, but I was more drawn to Vanessa's sound.  I liked the rippling piano, the punch of the percussion, and the string background.  It's a bright song that uplifted me.  And with my vote that leaves us with a tie!

Final Vote Tally

Vanessa Carlton     6 votes

Pretenders              6 votes


Next Battle on Thursday September 15th

       Yes, I will try to do another midmonth Battle of the Bands post.  I've got so many waiting in my line up that I need to clean house a bit.   So many Battles await that I need to get them out of my way.  




12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Alex, I've had a few I guess. I like the ties because it makes me think I've picked a nice balance of artists.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Not familiar with either bands, but they sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damyanti, I only knew of the Pretenders since they've been around for a long time.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. This turned out to be a top-notch Battle, LEE. Sixgun did right by you.

    For awhile, this looked like a terrible blowout was coming. I never would have dreamed that it was a tie in the making.

    I have a BOTB idea I'm working on which, when I do it, will also include a song submitted to me at my request from our buddy, Sixgun McItchyfinger (known in Wisconsin as Sheboyganboy).

    I think Six should just bite the bullet and officially join BOTB. ...But then again... we'd have to hear a bunch of songs by Rush. Maybe it's really better this way. [;^D}

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah... if I ever do decide to start blogging, my battles would not feature Rush. I would EXCLUSIVELY focus on Todd Rundgren! I kid, I kid.

      Actually, as I mentioned to you once before, I think my first BotB would feature a fantastic Prog Rock battle between Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Karn Evil 9." You guys ready for that?

      Sixgun

      Delete
    2. Ha! Believe it or not, I always liked 'Karn Evil 9'. In fact, I owned the 'Brain Salad Surgery' LP and I even quote from 'Karn Evil 9' at the very top of my BOTB blog.

      I haven't heard it in ages and wonder how it would hold up for me now, but regardless, I'd be voting for ELP over Tull's 'Brick'. 'Bungle In The Jungle' was the only Tull song I ever liked, and that was probably because it was so un-Tull-like.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

      Delete
    3. STMcC, I was pleased with the outcome of this one.

      I wouldn't mind Rush songs since I do like the group. Jethro Tull is one of my favorite groups. They were great in concert.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee, sorry I have not been on line in recent months but things have been tough.hopefully will be back for your next BOTB. I would have chosen Pretenders.
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, sometimes we need a break. I'm not online like I used to be. Take care of yourself.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Wow! Didn't see a tie coming, but why not? Great battle ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I wasn't sure how this one would go, but the outcome is good with me.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee