This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

It's All Good! ( #IWSG & #AtoZChallenge Reflections )

       Gonna keep this brief as I have no complaints about writing, blogging, or whatever.  Except this thing about dirty dishes.  Every time we eat a meal we end up with dirty dishes.  But I digress.  This is about writing and blogging...


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog

The co-hosts for the May 4 posting of the IWSG are Kim Elliott, Melissa Maygrove, Chemist Ken, Lee Lowery, and Nancy Gideon!



May 4 question - It's the best of times; it's the worst of times. What are your writer highs (the good times)? And what are your writer lows (the crappy times)?

   The Good, the Bad, and Everything in Between

        Most of the time I tend to be a pretty even keeled sort of guy.  If my writerly highs and lows were a roller coaster then it would be a kiddie coaster or maybe more like the miniature train ride that goes in circles.  As I wend my cycles around my writerly life I usually have a nice relaxing ride.  Life things are my biggest obstacles that create frustration, but it's those things that give me some of my highest highs and happiest moments.  The writing is just something for me to do like any other hobby that people might have.

        Not much that I can gage my writing experience against.  Not since my college days when writing was attached to deadlines and grades.  If writing were my sole source of income then I might get stressed, anxious, and even depressed.  And in that scenario, selling my work would be the highlight.  But since that's not happening, writing doesn't impact my life much more than collecting things, listening to music, or watching television does.  Writing is something to keep me busy and entertained.  Not much super good or bad to report.  I'm just between.  Between the lines you might say.  Now make a deadline demand on me and then ask me again.  Maybe I'll have something different to say about it then, but otherwise all is well in my world of writing.


Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Reflections


Reflections 2022 #atozchallenge


        Several years ago when I was taking blogging a bit more seriously I'd have a schedule set up that would be somewhat demanding on my life of retirement.  The Blogging from A to Z April Challenge put some bigger demands on me.  Then I decided to stop worrying about the blogging and just enjoy it without feeling the need to let the blogging run me.  The Challenge of 2022 was a breeze compared to the previous years.  In fact every year seems to have gotten easier.

         Much of the relief has come from having one of the best blogging teams anyone could ask for.  This super team helped to make things run so smoothly with a high degree of professionalism that I didn't have to worry about whether the Challenge would go as it should.  It did and I was very pleased.

         My deep gratitude goes to our Team Captain J Lenni Dorner who was there to keep the machine finely tuned and organized.  Also Jayden R Vincente for setting up and managing the spreadsheets that helped bloggers find each other and whatever else those sheets help do.  Our newest addition Anjela Curtis did a wonderful job replacing our longtime graphics guy, the late Jeremy Hawkins, with her artistic abilities that gave us all the wonderful badges and other artwork that graced the A to Z Blog as well as so many blogs of participants.  Also with their great creative input, technical knowledge, and willingness to keep things moving through April are our long time team members John Holton and Zalka Csenge Virág.   

        Finally there were all of those great bloggers who were there on a daily basis with some of the most interesting and entertaining posts of any Challenge year.   Thanks to all of you who managed to keep up with their own posts while making rounds to visit the rest of us.  Without you participants there would be no Challenge--or at least not that much of a Challenge.  Thank you every one of you!

        As far as I'm concerned, 2022 was a great year for this blog Challenge.  I did all of my posts ahead of time and that really let up on the stress factor for me.  And I had a lot of visitors who left good comments and inspired me to keep wanting to blog.

         You know something?   I liked this year's Challenge so much that I think I want to do it again next year.  That's the way it should be.


          What about writing or blogging stresses you out the most?  Did you enjoy the Challenge this year?  Do you want to do it again?

  

gif #AtoZChallenge 2022 WINNER badge animated










42 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud about the dishes. I woke up this morning to find a dish in the sink that was NOT there when I went to bed, and confess to muttering a few unmentionable words! The darn things are like rabbits...

    Glad you are simply enjoying the writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIza, And not just the dishes. Seems like housework never gets near to being done and instead just increases.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Glad it was such a good year for the Challenge. There were some good themes out there, yours included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I enjoyed my theme so much that I'm tempted to do it again with my other collections like other music formats, DVDs, books, and other things. It's a good way to take inventory and organize things I have in the house.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hi Arlee. Thank you for A to Z. It's a great challenge for bloggers. You are terrific in being so balanced about your highs and lows. I'd like to borrow some of that equanimity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, some of my balance I can probably attribute to getting older. Can't stand too many extremes at my age.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. A solid team can make all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, having a team sure beats trying to do everything by oneself.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. The thought of doing AtoZ makes me want to run and hide. Maybe once I'm retired and not working full time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, it's not bad really. If you organize your posts and keep them short, you can whip them together pretty quickly. But then there's the visiting other blogs--but that's always the case in blogging.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. This year was more fun and more satisfying than previous years. The participants seemed genuinely interested and enthusiastic about doing the challenge, and the energy was infectious. I heard from a couple of people that they didn't do it this year because life but who plan on coming back next year. You know I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I agree about the fun and satisfaction factors. This was the easiest Challenge for me probably because I didn't push myself much or think about how badly I was doing.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Congrats on meeting your blogging goals! It sounds like writing has been an enjoyable, fulfilling hobby. I'm glad your journey has been fairly even, without too many lows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, maybe I'm getting too old for roller coasters.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to you on the A-Z Challenge, Arlee! I know better then to set myself up for that pressure and stress. I had thought about doing NaNo during April, but then I said no. I write in one form or another every day. I felt much better about myself and my writing when I decided that blog posts, journal entries, and letters were legitimate writing genres. Whatever I write, I try to write my best. I'm glad that you feel good about your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fundy Blue, to always try to write my best--or strive for best effect--is my writing goal.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Hey Lee, Craig here

    Congrats on finding you groove in the A-Z Challenge. Good to know that, like writing, if you write what you know it makes things run nicely.

    Also congrats on working so well with your team and on the community you have here. One of the better populated comment streams I have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I get some excellent comments from readers. Thanks for all of your comments with so much to add to the discussions. I don't know that I'd keep blogging if I didn't get comments.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Jamie here

    I really enjoyed your A to Z theme on vinyl records. There was lots of stuff I never knew about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, yes, I made it a point to pick out some of my most obscure albums for this theme.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Hi Lee!
    You're always just as cool as a cucumber ;-) That's why it is so much fun blogging with you. I did enjoy the challenge and would definitely do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I enjoyed your theme and was glad you joined us for the A to Z ride.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on getting this challenge up and running Arlee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damyanti. thank you for being a part of this year's Challenge and for your help in the past.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Jo-Anne, Yoda couldn't have said it better.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Did not participate this year because life threw me a swirl, but it's something to think about for 2023.

    I did make a goal to be more consistent with my blogging this year, and so far, it's been berry berry good to me. I found my ju-ju and it's only a matter of time before it drips over into my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, you can say that you did the 2022 Challenge vicariously through me since your idea from years back inspired my theme.

      Sounds like you have good news on the horizon.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I love your relaxed approach to writing. I need to be more chill and put less pressure on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, I'm too old to be getting stressed out about anything if I can avoid doing so. But I've always tended toward a more laid back approach to life.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Writing the posts out ahead of time makes it a lot easier. I've already worked up most of mine for 2023. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PT, I'm thinking I might start doing the same. It's nice to crank out posts ahead so I can make more rounds to other blogs.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. I really enjoyed your theme. It made me miss all my vinyl records in storage, and want to visit a used record store again.

    Going forward, I want to resume my former habit of researching, writing, and editing my A to Z posts months in advance instead of only during March. I didn't realize the full impact that mental exhaustion has been having on me through April. When I put my posts together as much as nine months in advance, I had a lot more energy for writing and visiting more blogs during April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, used record stores aren't as easy to find as they used to be. Probably the nearest to me is in Hollywood which is about 15 miles or so. I think there might be others, but I'm not sure where any would be. But I probably wouldn't be buying anyway.

      You have so much research put into your posts that I think it would be a good idea to start way before March if you are able to.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Dear Arlee,
    First I just want to say thank you! I dabbled in the challenge the first time in 2014 but took it seriously and actually completed my first year in 2015. Since then I've participated every year and I have learned so much about blogging and I owe that to you and your team and this challenge. So thank you! April is my favorite time of year and I wish we could do it more often. It's one of those things where it gives me that extra push and if I commit to something I do it. Unlike the rest of the year where I say I'm gonna post more often and then life (and those damn dirty dishes) always seem to get in the way. I'm going on the road trip though (even though I'm not sure how that works...I'm thinking it's just blog hopping and reading posts from people that signed up on the reflection list). That's what I'm gonna do. AND you can definitely count on my appearance next year for the challenge. I think I'm gonna try to come up with a theme, have my posts all done ahead of time so I can concentrate or reading others posts and comment because even though you said 20 minutes... I'm a slow reader and if I really take my time to put a genuine comment (not some random stuff that too many people do) it takes me 20-30 minutes per post. But that's just me. Thanks again for this! YOU ROCK!
    Cheers,
    Reflections from A2Z 2022

    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, thank you so much for these glowing words of encouragement and support. I don't think blogging should take over one's life or interfere excessively with daily activities, but it does require a certain amount of commitment if one is to have any sort of success with it.. As with anything, the return we get from it is usually based on how much we can invest in the activity.

      Keep at it at your own comfortable pace and you will be fine. Thanks for being a part of the A to Z community and we look forward to many more seasons of Blogging from A to Z.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. It's good that you enjoy the writing and don't put too much pressure on yourself about it. Same goes for the A to Z Challenge. I've been meaning to jump back in and do the challenge again, but I always forget come challenge time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, stress can make you sick and kill you even so I try to avoid the bad kind of ongoing stress. There is also good stress which can have a positive effect. I don't mind that good stress.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. I'm really so glad I made it back to the challenge. I'd missed it! Thank you to you and the team!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Being even-keeled and having no expectations certainly does make writing much more relaxing and enjoyable. That's nice. I prefer to keep my own writing life that way.

    Grats on winning the A-to-Z challenge, and I'm glad this year was less stress than previous ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, I prefer my who life to be free of bad stress. Especially the pursuits like writing. If I want to risk killing myself I'll take up rock climbing or something.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee