This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

My Last Post (until A to Z begins) ( #BOTB Results )


       Yes, it's almost upon us!   The Blogging from A to Z April Challenge!   I've been getting my posts ready and there's a ton of great (and sometimes weird) music heading your way.  For an overview of what I'll be doing you can visit my Theme Reveal post now--or be surprised when those April posts go on line.  Compiling the posts has been interesting and entertaining to me and hopefully will be to you as well.  Stay tuned, but for now here are some...


Battle of the Bands Results


One Crazy Three Way Battle!

       My most recent Battle was an odd one as I had indicated when I presented it.  I figured it would be kind of a throwaway Battle, but it had an unexpected outcome for me and probably for some of you.  The take away from the results is that with BOTB there are no solid rules for predicting who the winners will be.

        I mean, really, how can something by Dave Brubeck be beat out by some other less serious pop artists?  For me there was no real question as to who I would vote for--Dave Brubeck's "Blue Rondo a la Turk" of course!  This recording is a work of true art--a masterpiece.  Some of you agreed while others just prefer anything else to jazz.  That's no surprise actually, but still...


Final Vote Tally

Dave Brubeck       3 votes

Alice Cooper         4 votes

Eiffel 65                 3 votes


Coming April 1st!

         Please join me in April for my musical extravaganza A to Z.  There should be something for just about anyone who enjoys music.  I'm putting a lot of work into this year's theme so I hope there will be an appreciative audience stopping in to enjoy the music and the memories...







14 comments:

  1. Good thing I voted for Cooper or it would've been a three-way tie!
    Good luck with the Challenge. I'll be doing it as far as book release tour stops since I have one almost every day next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, well, since you said in your comment "I'll pick the third" I put you down for Eiffel 65. Hmmm--if I'd put you down for Cooper then he would have had the biggest lead and still won.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Having been off for a month I missed the BOTB Also signing up for the theme on A to Z. I too have music in mind.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, music is almost always a good A to Z theme. Most people can relate to music.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Lee,

    I was a bit surprised Alice won but am happy since I went with him. Alice's song has jazz elements and I was absolutely floored with by this music rediscovery. I vaguely remember this song and I'm not sure if it was from the 70s or later in life. Totally cool battle. Thanks for reporting the outcome. I'll see ya around the cyberblock for next month's challenge. I'm busy working on my posts a little every day to try to get ahead of the game. Have a good week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the Cooper song was something that I did not remember. But I was a fan back in the seventies. I'm trying to get my posts done, but had a setback when my computer went down for a couple days this week. Fortunately I'm back and hopefully everything will stay in working order until April is passed.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Can't help but think that I was responsible for this because I took Brubeck out of the runnimg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, you are partly responsible I guess, but then you helped make the outcome more interesting.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. LEE ~

      Yeah, John deciding that HE should have a say in who YOU could allow in your BOTB contest definitely impacted the outcome.

      I would not presume to assume that I had a personal right to decide which artists should and should not be eligible for votes in another BOTBer's BOTB.

      But at the same time, on the other hand, and in another beer bottle, the fact that John chose NOT to vote for Dave Brubeck's Quartet because he considered Brubeck's group to be way, Way, WAY above the competition, actually says a lot about John's musical taste, as well as his sanity.

      Brubeck: 3 votes
      Alice Cooper: 4 votes
      Eiffel 65: 3 votes

      Call me "elitist", or "opinionated", or "smarter'n the average bear" (all 3 are equally true), but I know that when Eiffel 65 scores as many points as The Dave Brubeck Quartet does in a BOTB contest, that is a CLEAR sign of the Apocalypse (aka Armageddon, aka "The Return Of The Right Way").

      Although I am pert-dern sure that "HE" is going to return to take out the trash in less than 8 years from today, I'm also not sure I can wait that long. I think Wild Turkey 101 or my .357 Magnum may save me sooner than The Savior does. (I just can't take too many more BOTB outcomes like this one.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

      Delete
    3. STMcC, the Battle this round was my attempt to be somewhat playful while using my favorite Brubeck piece. The outcome was kind of baffling to me but I guess it shouldn't have been that big of a surprise. The outcome was plain nuts, but I guess I asked for it.

      Lee

      Delete
    4. >>... "The outcome was kind of baffling to me but I guess it shouldn't have been"

      Correct. Let us not forget that we are living in a world in which Dave Brubeck's Quartet scored just one Top 40 Billboard hit, while the B-52s had 5 Billboard Top 40 hits, and Madonna had 33.

      BOTBs are often going to reflect the state of the world.

      But all jocularity and dismay aside, I'm looking forward to my April 1st Battle. No, it's not going to be any kind of 'April Fool's Day' silliness. I'm using a weirdly cheerful song that, to me, has become one of the most addictive musical earworms I can think of. I'll probably be humming and whistling the dang thing for a month after my next BOTB contest has been concluded.

      See ya soon, Boidman.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    5. My April 1 Battle will be traditional with a standard tune that has a lot of covers available. Since it's the first day of A to Z I want to keep the Battle part uncomplicated.

      Hope you check in on my A to Z posts as I think there will be a lot that you might appreciate and enjoy. There is a lot of good music that I will be linking to. I've been having such a great time compiling my posts and listening to the music as I do.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Hi Arlee,

    I have participated twice in AtoZ blog challenge and this year too, I would like to participate but from my new blog deeptechwriter.wordpress.com. I want to make this blog a tech blog. I have also registered from my new email id swatithewriter@gmail.com I have not got any email saying that my registration is successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe you would get an email to say that you've successfully registered. You need to check the sign up list. I've checked it and you are signed up okay.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee