This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Regressive Titles (#BOTB) Blue Again



       Seems I've started a "Blue" theme for my March Battle of the Bands posts.  And since it's a mid-month pre-A to Z Challenge post, I'm going for something odd.  Like I never do odd on this blog.  So on with the "blues"...

Battle of the Bands

        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Blue Titles in Descending Length and Depth

          I'd been toying with doing some sort of Battle using Dave Brubeck's "Blue Rondo a la Turk" for quite some time.  At first I figured I'd be messing with the territory of the rules described by Stephen T McCarthy in his recent Battle.  In other words, using a legendary piece like I was thinking about might not be a good idea.  Then I figured, what the heck, not everybody likes jazz.

            So here I go tampering with the fabric of time, space, logic, or whatever powers might be in the BOTB universe.   In keeping with the theme I began in my previous Mr. Blue Battle, here we go with the bluest of the blues Battles yet...


  Dave Brubeck Quartet   "Blue Rondo a la Turk"  (1959)

          This amazing piece of music is a tour de force of time signatures and exotic melody inspired by Turkish music that Brubeck had heard.  Try to keep up if you are able to attune your ears to this style.  It's pretty great stuff, but not everyone's cup of Turkish tea...





Alice Cooper  "Blue Turk"  (1972)

       Moving on a decade later after the Brubeck classic:   From a jazz master to a shock rocker jazzing things up a bit with some fairly credible results, here is a side of Alice Cooper that you may not think of when you think of this theatrical rocker....







Eiffel 65   "Blue"   (1999)

      Descending to a point in music history more than 25 years after Alice Cooper, here is an award-winning dance hit that took the world by storm after it was released.  Does this song excite you, incite you, or make you kind of blue?   Maybe it's your earworm for today.  Listen if you dare...






Time to Vote!
        
       Whether this contest "blue" you away or not, I still hope you vote on it.    Which artist do you enjoy the most?   Of the three songs, which do you like better?  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.    Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Tuesday March 22nd

           This is kind of a throwaway Battle as I prepare for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge coming up in a couple weeks.  But I think it's a fun one so I'm doing it anyway.   Vote, vote, vote!






27 comments:

  1. The first and third are definitely not my style, but I just couldn't get into the Alice Cooper one. Guess I'll pick the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I would have guessed Alice for you.

      First vote goes to Eiffel 65.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook a vote for...

    Eiffel 65

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Blue Rondo Ala Turk" is a classic Brubeck song off of one of the most forward-thinking jazz albums of all time. It has what I consider to be an unfair advantage over the other two songs. As a result, I'm not going to consider it in this battle.

    Of the two remaining choices, Alice Cooper's "Blue Turk" sounded a lot more like music than Eiffel's "Blue." Give my vote to Alice Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H., I figured Brubeck in this Battle was kind of like Armstrong in the last Stephen T McCarthy Battle. This is going down an interesting path.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I actually know the first one and pictured me listening to a beatnik reciting poetry in some cellar. I love that they are on a magic carpet. That being said I really enjoyed Alice Cooper's take so they get my vote. The blue song is a fun dance tune that I have heard before...I think. Some of these dance songs sound the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, the magic carpet was pretty cool effects in its day and still looks neat.

      Another vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Three very entertaining songs! I think I'll go for Eiffel 65- which surprises me as much as Alice's excellent version did...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, "entertaining" is why I chose them. And I actually like all of the songs.

      A vote for Eiffel 65.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. What a strange battle, and incredibly strange voting. Blue Rondo a la Turk is so far and away better than the other two, it is like asking: "which is better, Beethoven's 6th Symphony, or 'Who Let the Dogs Out'?" It has to win, it must win because... the sun rises in the east.

    However, even John said essentially, "because it is better, I am not voting for it." OK.

    Apparently it will not win the vote, but - as I mentioned - the sun DOES rise in the east, people.

    Sixgun McPuzzledfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-gun, yes, this Battle has been lurking in my list for a good while. I figured since I had created a "blue" theme for this month I'd go with it.

      This Battle has taken a strange unexpected turn for me, but I wasn't sure where this would go anyway.

      A vote for Dave Brubeck.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Lee,

    After listening to all three, I ruled out #3 which didn't suit my ear. The oldie was nice but I really liked "Blue Turk.
    Give my vote to Alice Coper, please! No mid-month battle this time. I will put one up on the 1st, though. Have a bandtastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I keep telling myself that I'm going to stick to one Battle then I keep trying to cull my accumulation of Battle ideas.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee,

      I rather enjoy doing two battles each month but with A2Z biting at my heels I just felt I needed to drop the mid-month round and I was all set to not do any in April until I decided against that idea. I'm sure after the blogfest I will be wiped out, though. :)

      Delete
  8. >>... "Blue Rondo a la Turk is so far and away better than the other two, it is like asking: "which is better, Beethoven's 6th Symphony, or 'Who Let the Dogs Out'?"

    Sixgun McPuzzledfinger's remark is not only precisely spot-on but it also *literally* made me laugh out loud! That's some funny stuffs there!

    Eiffel 65's "Blue"... the less said about that the better. (I turned it off when I felt my I.Q. dropping.)

    The Alice Cooper song was quite unusual for him, and I liked it better'n I like most of his other songs.

    But, "C'mon, man!" The Dave Brubeck Quartet contained at least - at least! - two musical geniuses and, in my opinion, the greatest drummer of all time! Brubeck turned Jazz on its ear, and he was probably one of the famous Classical composers reincarnated. Although 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' isn't one of my favorite Brubeck recordings, nevertheless, there is just no contest here to speak of.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, you just never know sometimes. I got a kick out of my Battle choices this time--so incongruous. There was another that I kicked out--she would have really added another dimension. Can't remember who she was now but I think some Latina artist from L.A. doing dance music or something.

      "Blue Rondo a la Turk" is probably my favorite Brubeck composition because of all the dimensions and driving rhythms. I think this one probably influenced some of Zappa's works.

      A vote for Dave Brubeck.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Jacqui, yes there are. Did you have a favorite?

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Pretty good bands are mentioned here but my favorite is Alice Cooper. So, another vote for Alice Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I enjoy all of these as well.

      Another vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. The results for this Battle are in:

    https://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2022/03/my-last-post-until-to-z-begins-botb.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there,
    Pretty Great bands are mentioned here but my favorite is Eiffel 65 My vote is for Eiffel 65 .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, thanks for the visit. Voting already closed for this one but it was an even outcome.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Great and amazing bands, my is Alice cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy all of these but Alice cooper is fabulous .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have listened to all the given bands but "Blue Rondo a la Turk" found amazing. I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have listened to all the given bands but "Blue Rondo a la Turk" found amazing. I really liked it.

    animalsarc

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee