This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Mr. Blue ( #BOTB & #IWSG )



        Feeling blue?  Blue is kind of my favorite color.  Better than yellow, but yellow is okay too in the right place and time.  Context is everything.  COVID.  Climate concerns.  War in Ukraine?   Didn't "C" that last one coming.  But these days we should expect everything and only be surprised when they don't happen.  It's enough to make anyone feel a bit insecure...


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog


The co-hosts for the  March 2 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, Pat Garcia, Natalie Aguirre, and Shannon Lawrence!


March 2 question - Have you ever been conflicted about writing a story or adding a scene to a story? How did you decide to write it or not?

       "Conflicted about writing a story"?   Or maybe conflicted about writing period.  Or maybe just fiction.  I've got so many stories floating around in my head and in snippets throughout pages of sundry notebooks. I'm not adding anything to anything.  So I guess that makes the March 2nd question moot for me.  No specifics in the answer.  Other than, what's the point?  

         Now the thing I need to do is just write.  Write blogs posts.  The Blogging from A to Z April Challenge is bearing down upon us.  I've got to get busy writing those posts.  Later I can go back to that question about being "conflicted about writing a story"--or perhaps the conflict of the writing is a story.

        Yeah, I'm sure there's a story somewhere in there.  There's a story everywhere if you look hard enough.  


Battle of the Bands

        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


 Mr. Blue

       Not to be confused with the weepy Fleetwoods hit from the fifties, folk singer Tom Paxton wrote this song of the same name somewhere around 1967.  The song is Paxton's version of a 1984 type totalitarian society where all that we do and think is scrutinized by the powers in control.   Though I have had this Battle in my line-up for several years, now seemed like a particularly appropriate time to put it in the BOTB arena.  

Tom Paxton   "Mr. Blue"  (1968)

       Paxton is a folk singer/songwriter who's been around for decades.   You've undoubtedly heard some of his songs made into hits by other artists.  He also wrote the song "My Dog's Bigger Than Your Dog" which was later adapted as a commercial for Ken-L Ration dog food.  Here is one of his versions of his song "Mr. Blue".   





Clear Light  "Mr. Blue"  (1967)

          Clear Light had the first release of Paxton's song and the only version I'd ever known until researching for this Battle.  The group's vocalist is Clff DeYoung who later went on to be an actor who has appeared often in movies and television.  I guess that's where the drama in this cover derives inspiration...





Time to Vote!
        
        I'll be blue if you ignore my Battle and don't vote.  Come on people.  Now it's time to show your love.   Which artist do you enjoy the most?   Of the two song versions, which do you like better?  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.    Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Tuesday March 8th
  
            During the period of March 7 to 21 the theme reveal for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge will be going on.  I'll wait for a few days after the BOTB results post to put up my theme reveal post so it will stand on it's own. Still, I hope you'll drop by to see who came out on top in this Battle of the Mister Blues.  
     
     






44 comments:

  1. Totally appropriate song for right now. Neither is my style though. Second one just too weird. Very sixties sounding, and more of the 'We just dropped acid' kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, both are sixties sounding. But then they came from the sixties.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Lee,

    Everyone senses what you're feeling. I try to not dwell on the negativity of life. That will always be with us no matter how long the world stands.

    You did pick a great song to use in your battle to match current events. I don't remember this song but that's no surprise. I was only 6 in 1967. I listened to both covers. I can't say I was overly fond of either song but I do like one better than the other. Please give my vote to Tom Paxton in this showdown.

    My current BOTB is up whenever you care to stop by to vote.

    I hope you're able to chase those blues away. Look for the good around you in every day. Blessings to you always, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I tend toward the positive in my daily life. Or maybe I make jokes about what's going on because I figure there's not much else I can do about it. Rumors of war, pestilence, and other such things make me feel kind of excited in an optimistic way about things to come. Jesus!

      You also probably don't remember this song because it doesn't get played that often.

      First vote goes to Tom Paxton

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee,

      You're right about the signs leading to the biggest show on earth for Christians. These are exciting times for that reason. Unfortunately our human side tends to put a damper on things. That's what Satan wants, though. We have to keep our eyes on Jesus at all times to wort off that three headed monster. :)

      Delete
  3. BOIDMAN ~

    I remember that Ken-L Ration jingle. Oh, boy, I was just a boy then!

    This song sounds familiar; I think I'd heard it somewhere sometime. I liked Paxton's version of his original.

    The Clear Light cover was a bit too psychedelically dramatic for my tastes. It was almost more like a stage production than a "song" ('HAIR'). I was kind of waiting for a punchline, or the introduction of Monty Python.

    I'm pretty sure you'll be voting for the psychedelia, but please give my BOTB "bote" to Mr. Paxton.

    Mr. Blue goes by various different names, but what he needs is a serious beatdown! And he's gonna get it, too. In about September of 2029, according to my Biblical calculations.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, Clear Light did a wild version, but I did like their album when I first acquired it. Actually I still like the album. They are a dynamic and theatrical sort of group and I like that.

      Jesus come quickly!

      Another vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee, I'll show my love by voting, but I have no love for this song. If you'd gone for "Mr. Blue Sky" I'd be happy, but no such luck. I am going to vote for the Paxton version because the other is simply unlistenable. I think McCarthy is right: it MIGHT work as a stage production. If you were watching a musical and someone on stage was doing something to take your mind off the "music" then it might be palatable. Otherwise... a big giant NO.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, it's maybe a song that has to grow on you or catch you in the right frame of mind. Clear Light's version definitely is stagy and full of drama.

      A vote for Tom Paxton

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I got a third of the way through the second one and it was really starting to annoy me. I vote for Tom Paxton, even though he wrote "My Dog's Bigger Than Your Dog," which drove my dad crazy. I was almost 11 when Dad died, so I don't remember all that much about him, but I remember he hated that song...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H., maybe you should listen to the Clear Light version again. I've listened to it so many times in the past 50 years it sounds okay to me. But I liked it back when I first heard it.

      Paxton's KenLRation ditty was kind of an earworm for sure. Guess that's why the company liked Paxton's song for their commercial.

      A vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Paxton, almost by default. John Holton said it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom Paxton wrote and initially recorded what would be one of the most performed songs of the 1960s, "The Last Thing On My Mind." The list of artists who recorded this tune is overwhelming, and more often than not, the renditions were solid.

    A vote for Tom Paxton, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael T., I was surprised when I looked at the list of some of Paxton's songs and the artists who had hits with them. Tom Paxton is one of those artists who I've long known of, but didn't actually know him as a performing artist because I never listened to him. I figured he was some boring folksinger. Well, maybe he was--I still don't know.

      A vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I think Tom Paxton. The other was just too disjointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, or maybe Clear Light's version was under the influence of joints...

      A vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Neither version is really my type of music, but just for sitting around listening I would have to say Tom Paxton. I would need a fair bit of weed to really appreciate Clear Light, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.D., a lot of the respondents have been saying this is not their type of music. I get that a lot in my Battle choices.

      A vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I'm hoping to to the A-Z blog challenge this year too! (which means I also need to get busy writing some posts). Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paxton, please. His voice adds mirth to his words. We all need all the lilt we can get these days while Putin powers into Ukraine, etc., etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady, I don't know that the subject matter of the song is very mirthful, but that's a good description of Paxton's style.

      A vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Hi Lee,

    "Didn't 'C' that one coming" - ha, clever! Because I hadn't heard of either artist, or the particular song (Mr. Blue made me think of the Fleetwoods), I didn't "C" the underlying message coming. Good one!
    A vote for Paxton, please. The second contender(s) made me think I might need another hit of fresh air (as in Quicksilver).
    Happy tallying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, it's always nice when someone catches my little jokes. And a mention of Quicksilver (one of my favorite groups) is a nice addition.

      Another vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook another vote for...

    Tom Paxton.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clear Light gets my vote.
    Yeah, it's a crazy time in our world right now. Hopefully some blogging will distract us a little, or give a space to work things out.
    Hope you're having a great day! My latest blog post has my theme for the April #AtoZChallenge (I'm writing speculative fiction and looking for prompts).
    At Operation Awesome we have the #PassOrPages query contest going on (friends or enemies to lovers Romance).
    Looks like I'll be very busy the next few weeks!
    March quote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." - Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J., I'm glad you're there to be busy. You do a great job with it all!

      Good quote and so true.

      At last a vote for Clear Light.

      Lee




      Delete
  15. The Clear Light version has an interesting style, but I personally prefer Tom Paxton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, Clear Light's style might have sounded even more interesting back in its day.

      A vote for Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. I agree that there is a story in everything, if we choose to see it and take on the challenge.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, every story has underlying stories as well as other stories that are offshoots. Everything is interconnected when you look deep enough. Sometimes what seem to be the least important stories can be the most interesting.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. You wrote: There's a story everywhere if you look hard enough. So true. Being aware enough to "C" it is the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Between our long, harsh winter and the state of the world, you could say I'm feeling pretty blue these days. That said, spring is coming - eventually! I don't remember this song at all, but have heard of Tom Paxton and Cliff DeYoung. Clear Light was more interesting and dramatic, so that one gets my vote. Good luck with the A to Z Challenge! I can't take the pace or pressure anymore, but admire those who can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie D, I guess I'm kind of a stoic about things--at least my wife probably thinks so. I'm mostly concerned about higher prices and more weirdness on our side of the ocean. And, yes, spring will soon be here!

    That was a need vote!

    A vote for Clear Light.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so agree with you that you can find stories anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I prefer Tom Paxton

    www.onegayastronaut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, Thank you for your vote...

      Tom Paxton.

      Lee

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Mike, won't help much, but at least they'll have a better showing...

      Clear Light.

      Lee

      Delete
  23. The results of this Battle are in and to be found here:


    Tossing It Out Battle Results

    ReplyDelete
  24. Birgit's vote was apparently lost in the internether.

    Clear Light.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee