This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Reason for the Season ( #BOTB & #IWSG )

       The Season is here again!   Time for fun, family, and maybe some holiday stress?   Fear not--no stress here.  I hope not at least.   Instead let us indulge in a couple of delights.  How about starting with...

The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog


The co-hosts for the December 1 posting of the IWSG are PJ Colando, Diane Burton, Louise – Fundy Blue, Natalie Aguirre, and Jacqui Murray!


December 1 question - In your writing, what stresses you the most? What delights you?

      Generally I tend to be a fairly low-stressed person.  In regard to writing there is not much that might stress me.  It's not like when I was still in school and contending with deadlines.  A deadline can stress me if I'm not well prepared or under some sort of time constraint.  If I'm under pressure to complete a writing task by a specific time then the stress might hit me.  

        These days the pressure is typically not there--not to any serious extent.   Ask me about stress if I get some sort of writing job or a contract to produce written work.  For now that is not any consideration for me.

          What delights me about writing is the act of getting things out there for others to read. And when they read my work then that can result in great satisfaction for me.  If they don't like it then I might be disappointed or sometimes even annoyed.   Whatever the case might be, writing can be a great release for me and I'm delighted if my work receives recognition.

          Hope you enjoy my next bit of writing exercise...

Battle of the Bands

        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this                                                                                 post for more Battle action.

The Reason for the Season

         Since it's December I'm going to go with a Christmas theme for the Battle of the Bands.   The songs I have chosen are not exactly Christmas songs, but they are songs of praise to the entity whom we celebrate during this season--Jesus Christ.  

         It's very likely that you may have not heard these songs before or perhaps even the artists.  Both artists were significant figures in contemporary Christian music in the eighties. They are both artists that I have appreciated enough over the years to have bought a number of their albums.  Now I'll share them with you for this Christmas season...


Matthew Ward    "You Are All in All"  (1987)    

       Officially this song is by Second Chapter of Acts which consisted of Matthew Ward and his sisters, but Matthew cowrote it and is the singer.  The song comes from the album Faraway Places released in 1987.  Matthew Ward also recorded numerous solo albums over the years.  He is a phenomenal singer which is displayed in this recording.  It's a somewhat challenging song in structure and sound, but it's also very beautiful.  Hope you enjoy this "song for the Season"...






Leslie Phillips  "No One But You"  (1987)

        From the same year as the previous song comes a more mainstream sounding pop style tune from a young female artist who was sometimes referred to as "the Cyndi Lauper of Contemporary Christian Music" because of the similarity of the vocal styles.  Leslie's final Christian album was the critically acclaimed The Turning which was produced by the well-known musical artist/producer T-Bone Burnett whom she later married.  After that album she also changed her professional name to Sam Phillips and recorded a number of secular albums as well as appearing in acting roles in films. Take a listen to this song and see how you would compare it to the first of this Battle...





Time to Vote!
        
         A bit of a challenging song and another that sounds like a pop radio hit.  Which style do you prefer?  Which artist do you enjoy the most?   Of the two, which do you like better?  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.   Which version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Wednesday December 8th

          In my follow-up post I'll not only announce which song recording won the most votes, but I'll also give some personal background regarding the songs and artists in this Battle.  Please vote and then come back for more in my next post.

         Do you get easily stressed?  What do you do to help relieve stress when it enshrouds you?   Are you getting ready for Christmas and the holiday season?  









39 comments:

  1. You're in a good place if not much stresses you.
    Definitely the first song. Didn't care for the second one's voice.
    Merry Christmas, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, Maybe I should get more stressed about things, but I tend to shrug a lot off.

      First vote goes to Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Honestly, to not feel stressed about anything will make you live longer and in better health. I pretty much stress about everything.

    I love Christmas music, BTW. Have a wonderful Christmas, Lee!

    Teresa C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, if stress doesn't kill me then unhealthy habits likely will.

      Merry Christmas to you!

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Voting for number 2. Glad you simply enjoy your writing. No one needs stress if we can avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, if I can't enjoy writing then I don't want to do it.

      A vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee,

    Like you, I don't get stressed when it comes to writing for the very reasons you gave. Often times I feel like what little I do have to say isn't of much worth, except to offer a bridge to keep my friendships connected. But, on the rare occasion inspiration strikes then the act of sharing is rewarding. Not everyone will like what I have to say and that's okay but most of my friends in Blogosphere I share a likemindedness with so that makes it all the more fun.

    As for your BOTB song, I don't remember it nor do I remember the artists you've chosen. I think overall I preferred Matthew Ward in this showdown. Usually, when there's a male/female battle I wind up going with the male artist. Generally, I like male to female voices. Thanks for the introduction of a lovely song of the One we celebrate this blessed holy season, my friend. Whenever you get a chance, please stop by to vote in my BOTB. Have a joyous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, Blogging provides a good outlet for writing for those who don't write for a living.

      A vote for Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    Sorry, I had the wrong link and that's why I deleted the first comment.

    I think for me one of the greatest pleasures is just simply being able to write, to tip in my computer the way I see people, the world and everything within it. I get a kick out of writing.

    As for the songs, well Matthew Ward, I know. I love the group Second Chapter of Acts. They were a big hit here in Germany. But my vote goes to Leslie Phillips. Her voice deep and dark brings out a fine quality of being serene on a night when you're sitting at home alone.

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a safe crossover into 2022.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, Computers make writing and sharing so much easier. The old typewriter days really held me back.

      Same wishes for you!

      A vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. L.Diane, your vote is recorded...

      Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Wish I could be that laid back! I tend to stress over everything and when writing, go overboard on the editing. My greatest pleasure with writing is having written, a la Dorothy Parker. ☺ The process itself is rather excruciating.

    As for your BOTB, the first video wasn't available in Canada, but I found an alternative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqzv3RdTdmU Pretty good, but I enjoyed Leslie Philips a little more. She does sound like Cyndi Lauper.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I tend to mostly edit as I write. Probably hinders me to some extent, but it's what I've always done.

      A vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Yay for no stress! That's nice. I think my vote goes to Leslie Phillips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, we should all try for less stress!

      A vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Hi Lee!
    Blogging does offer a unique platform for stress-free sharing. You don’t have to sell your material ahead of time. You just release it like a balloon of creativity and hope it doesn’t snag on a branch of needles in the comment section ;-) I’m sure that doesn’t happen to you very often, and why should it? You’re brilliant!
    I hadn’t heard of either artist, so thanks for the introduction. While there’s no denying that Mathew Wards voice resonates, I prefer the more buoyant tempo of the second contender. A vote for Leslie Phillips, please.
    Happy, peaceful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, yeah, in blogging you can just put it out there and remove it if you want. Blogging is great for experimenting with writing.

      Happy holidays to you!

      Another vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I am stressed to even start writing because of my bad grammar and run off sentences.I am a worry-wort but when there is a crisis, I just do what needs to be done. I am feeling better but taking things slow. I am decorating for Christmas and have the time to do it since being laid off due to restructuring. I am enjoying myself.

    As for the songs...I prefer Leslie Phillips who's voice was sensual yet controlled. I wasn't a fan of Matthew because he sounds typical of many other guys one hears on shows like American Idol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, still, blogging affords the opportunity to write without constraints of any editor. Everything gets published when you want it to.

      A vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. For me, Leslie Phillips won this in the first three seconds, and just stretched the lead. First one lost my interest so quick I wondered why the music stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, the Ward song is a challenge I agree. It took time for me to grasp it when I first heard it years ago. The pop style of Phillips grabbed me from the beginning.

      A vote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I don't get stressed about posts or other writing. Sometimes technology kicks me in the tail. For instance this week, when my desktop decided I didn't need it anymore. I have my laptop, but no longer have access to the files I kept on my desktop. I think of it as the universe reaching out to tell me I need to come up with something fresh.
    I'm casting my vote for Matthew Ward.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, I totally know what you're talking about. My desktop has been hanging on for many years. I'm going to hate it when it ever goes down. Hope it keeps going for years to come.

      A vote for Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Hi Lee -

    I have never followed Christian music, but have thought I'd like it if I did. I guess that it seemed that whatever/whomever I might come to enjoy would never reach the "big time" because that genre never does. But there is a Christian radio station near my new home that comes in pretty well and I've listened and liked it a lot.

    Neither of these two were familiar, but I liked them both. I am going to cast my vote for Ward.

    Sixgun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixgun, glad to see you made it back to comment on the Blogger site. I used to listen to Christian music stations, but in recent decades I have not. I don't keep up with much new music period.

      A vote for Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Deadlines are certainly stressful. I like the first song better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalpana, sometimes the deadlines make for good stress. I don't mind that after it's over.

      Another vote for Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Oh, the delight of someone enjoying our work; saying they really liked it. That puts all the stress, anxiety, etc. in the shade. Best wishes for a great month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, yes, nothing much better than having our efforts appreciated by others.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. LEE ~

    You were right -- I had never heard either song before. And I had never heard of Matthew Ward, either. I think I probably had heard of Leslie Phillips, simply for the fact that she married T-Bone Burnett.

    As a general rule of thumb, I tend to prefer male singers over female singers. But I'm not usually a fan of guys singing in an upper register, such as Matthew Ward does here. Plus, his song was a bit too slow 'n' sweet for my tastes. (Thoughts of The Lord and my walk with Him tend to give me a sense of energy and strength.)

    For these reasons, my bote goes to Leslie Phillips. I preferred the more upbeat energy of it.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, Ward's song is contemplatively worshipful which I can understand. But I like both songs for different reasons.

      A bote for Leslie Phillips.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Leslie Ann Phillips has spent a third of a decade, running to or from something; ever changing and evolving, answering questions with questions, leaving countless groups who followed one or more of her personas. Each coalition waits patiently for her return, though it is doubtful they would recognize her, in passing. Would she even recognize her past selves, if viewed in 3-D? Who does she sing about in "See You In Dreams" ???

    Granted, my vote goes her way. She may win, as a result of those who vote for her, or lose, simply due to those who vote against her.

    A vote of Leslie Phillips.

    Oh, and the thing that stresses me is, when I am writing toward a defined deadline, and I cannot find out (or recall) when the deadline is. Like now. Did I just cast a vote after the deadline for this BOTB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, you're still early enough so your vote counts.

      I don't recall hearing "See You in Dreams" before, but I never listen to music much anymore. Love the song. It's beautiful.

      A vote for Leslie Phillips aka "Sam"

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Mike, thanks for your vote for...

      Leslie Phillips.

      lee

      Delete
  19. I enjoyed both versions, but I prefer Matthew Ward's version.

    A good way to relieve stress can be to redirect yourself, thinking of something else and taking your mind off of whatever's causing the stress. You can also find an out to keep you in; e.g., think about how you can leave a place early if you absolutely have to and know you're not stuck in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I can usually divert myself to some extent, but some stress can get rather uncomfortable at times.

      Coming in at the last minute a vote for Matthew Ward.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. I don't normally think about writing as being stressful... until I'm drowing in editing or reformatting for publication. Ha ha.
    Hope you had a good IWSG day!
    I'm enjoying #WRiTECLUB2021 over at DL Hammons blog. The entries are fun to read and vote on with feedback.
    Plus, I'm currently reading Patricia Lynne's Being Human. (The IWSG Goodread's book club choice for December.)
    And I'm scheduling debut author interviews at Operation Awesome.
    I hope you have some fun plans for the rest of 2021. 🎄🎆⛸🥁✉🥂⛄ May your days ahead be merry and filled with positive experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee