This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Your Love Broke Through (BOTB)

        I put this off until the last minute so I'm whipping this together at the last hour.  We've been having some remodeling done in our house so things have been upended for us.  But still, Battle of the Bands calls again.  And it's Christmas.  Might as well celebrate in song...

Battle of the Bands

        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this                                                                                 post for more Battle action.

(Until) Your Love Broke Through

       In keeping with the true spirit of Christmas I'm again offering up two versions of a song about the honoree of this time of year--Jesus Christ.  "Your Love Broke Through" is a 1977 song from the late Keith Green, a prolific composer of Christian songs.  He died in a plane crash in 1982 while at the height of his career.   He left a legacy of music loved by many and oft recorded by other artists.

         This current Battle is between two popular Christian male artists who are also favorites of mine--Phil Keaggy and Randy Stonehill.   Hope you take the time to listen and enjoy...


Phil Keaggy   "Your Love Broke Through"  (1977)




Randy Stonehill    "Your Love Broke Through"  (1985)





Time to Vote!
        
         Which artist do you enjoy the most?   Of the two versions, which do you like better?  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.   Which version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Wednesday December 22

             Few folks ever seem to comment on those Results post but I do them anyway.  It will be a few days before Christmas so maybe I'll post something additional.  Or maybe I'll just do results.  Or maybe--maybe.  Well, I hope to be back then with something.






18 comments:

  1. Hey Lee,

    This was easy for me. I'm going with Phil Keaggy. Maybe it's because this is the one I know the best but something didn't sit right with me with Randy's version. Great song choice for this showdown. I haven't heard the song in a long time. I hope you're enjoying the holiday season with all the home renovation going on. When ever you get a chance, I hope you'll stop by to cast your vote in my Cool Yule BOTB Showdown. Have a blessed day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, renovations still going on. Seems like this is going to be going on for a long time, but they've assured us they'll be out of the house this coming week.

      First vote for Phil Keaggy.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Randy Stonehill's version gets my vote. I preferred the vocals and upbeat arrangement. Hope all goes well with your renovations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I'm not liking this renovation stuff very well, but I guess afterwards it will seem worth the trouble and expense.

      Giving us a tie with a vote for...

      Randy Stonehill.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. As much as I like Phil Keaggy, I'm going with Randy Stonehill on this. I like the arrangement better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I hear you about Phil.

      A vote for Randy Stonehill.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I actually prefer Phil Keaggy because it sounds more original and less disco than Randy's. What a shame he died so young and tragically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, not sure I'd call Randy's version disco, but it is upbeat for sure.

      A vote for Phil Keaggy.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook comes a vote for...

    Randy Stonehill.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this is new to me, but I liked Randy better. Phil's voice was too high for me. I'm not opposed to high male voices (see Geddy Lee, for example,) but Phil's voice is not only high, but effeminate. THAT puts me off.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixgun, I think Phil has a very nice voice, but maybe it didn't sit quite right with this song. Still I do like it.

      Another vote for Randy Stonehill.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately, I can't say I was wild about either of these recordings. To me it sounded like a song in search of a melody.

    Nevertheless, I'll cast my BOTB bote for RANDY, because I preferred the faster pace and the slightly lower voice. Oddly, I own a Phil Keaggy album and he doesn't sing anywhere near this high on any of the songs.

    I'm not a big fan of males singing in a high register (including that human dog whistle, Geddy Lee -- also known as "Donald Duck on helium").

    I hope you have a Merry CHRISTmas and a safe & Happy New Year's Eve! See ya again on the 1st of the New Year, Boidman.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    LEARN THE HOLY BIBLE IN 15 MINUTES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I think this is from one of Phil's earlier albums. I have many of his albums from after this one and I've enjoyed them all.

      Hope these Christmas and other holidays go wonderfully for you!

      A vote for Randy Stonehill.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Randy Stonehill sounds a whole lot like post-Eagles Randy Meisner, and that goes a long way with me. This is a seriously fine recording, Lee.

    A vote for Randy Stonehill, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I get that Meisner connection. They all fit in a musical vein of that era I think. Glad you enjoyed the recording. I did too.

      Randy Stonehill.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. My vote late as it is goes with Randy Stonehill, Just returned after long break, hope all is well with you and family Lee.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, not too late! All is relatively well considering that I live the oppressed state of California.

      A vote for Randy Stonehill.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. For anyone interested I have my results posted at:

    https://tossingitout.blogspot.com/2021/12/christmas-is-ready-but-im-not-botb.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee