This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, August 1, 2020

I'm a Man ( #BOTB )


These days I seem to have a lot going against me according to certain opinions--I'm white, I'm older, I'm American, and I'm a man.  So if anyone has a problem with that then that's their problem and not mine.  I am who I am and I'm okay with that.  Why shouldn't I be?  

Ten years ago I was 30 pounds heavier than I am today, I still had a mustache and had recently become a grandpa--Now I have 7 grandkids!  Hard to believe!





Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.



The Yardbirds  "I'm a Man"  (1966)

       This song was originally written and recorded by Bo Diddley, but many of you might be more familiar with the sped up version as performed by The Yardbirds.  Through its history this band helped to catapult the careers of some of rock's most famous guitarists--Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck. The Yardbirds are one of the most influential groups in rock and roll.  Enjoy this blast from the past...






Spencer Davis Group   "I'm a Man"   (1967)

         Stevie Winwood was the singer and co-writer of this song with the title "I'm a Man" which hit the Billboard charts in the U.S. at #10.  Later the band Chicago would cover the song on their first album and charted with their version as well.  I will say that over the years I've grown to like this song better than when it first came out.  That might have been partly due to the Chicago cover.  See what you think of this song in comparison with the others in this Battle...





The Illusion   "Man"  (1970)

        The Illusion was a critically acclaimed band  from Long Island NY.  Unfortunately, even though they managed to release three albums, they never gained much commercial success.  They first caught my attention when I heard their If It's So album played in its entirety on an FM station that I think was broadcasting from Lenoir City TN in 1970. That's when FM stations were pretty cool and did some pretty random stuff.  I was immediately enraptured by the album and bought a copy soon after which I still have in my LP collection.  Apparently the song "Man" was a mondegreen for me as I had always thought the song was saying "I'm a man" in the chorus.  I guess the song listing on the cover didn't register with me.  No matter though as this album is among my favorites in my collection.  See what you think about the song...





Time to Vote!
         You don't have to be a man to vote for your favorite of these three songs because all are welcome to play.  Which song version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘Storms and Stardust’ 

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 

A I Love Music


Winner of this Battle Announced on Monday August 10th
  
           This coming Wednesday I'll be presenting my post for Insecure Writer's Support Group so I'll hope you'll stop by for that.  I'm going to post my results for this Battle on a Monday because I never seem to get much response from a Friday post.  For that matter the results posts don't seem to get much attention either.   But I post them anyway because it just seems like the right thing to do.



            

34 comments:

  1. .....And you're a wonderful man too Lee, having met you I know that to be true.
    I vote for the Specer Davis Group version, great group.
    Enjoy this new month if possible.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, thank you for your kind words. I found you to be delightful as well.

      First vote goes to Spencer Davis.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I was going to say Spencer Davis but I really like the heavy guitar of The Illusion. They get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, heavy guitar it is!

      A vote for The Illusion.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Good to see your blog pop up on my feed. You have done a lot for a lot of people with A to Z. I tried it this year but life got too hectic and I stopped about a week before it was over. If I do A to Z again, I will have a theme and will write W-Z first. They are always hard to write.

    I did not listen to the tunes so I will not vote. Be safe this summer and fall. I don't go anywhere but it is cramping my style to know my dream of traveling is not possible. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, good to see you visit today! A to Z has hung in there and bloggers come and go. I guess maybe you can think about next year.

      I miss our summer trip, but there was no way that I wanted to risk something weird happening far from home.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I never liked The Yardbirds' rave-up versions of blues songs, and it really doesn't work here. Muddy Waters did a remake on his album Hard Again with Johnny Winter and James Cotton, but the best is his original from the '50's-'60's.

    Of the two remaining songs, I'm familiar with the Spencer Davis original and the Chicago cover of "I'm A Man," but I wasn't familiar with The Illusion's song, and really I like that one better. So put me down for The Illusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, the Yardbirds were pretty known for the wild psychedelic rave-ups, but preferences decree.

      Got you down for The Illusion.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Lee,

    First off, I don't have a BoTB today but will on the 15th! Of your song choices, I only know Chicago's cover of "I'm a Man" but I think in this showdown the song that I like the best is the one by The Illusion "Man". Please give them my vote. It's tough being a white, older, American man in today's society. Have a great weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'll probably be back for a 15th Battle this month, but I'll visit yours no matter what.

      Another vote for The Illusion.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. You're the man. I wonder which one you'll like? I predict Illusion's song.

    For me, I never liked that version by the Yardbirds.. The Illusion was new to me and was OK, but I really always liked the Spencer Davis Group and their song. So that's my vote.

    If you'd had The Killers "The Man" as a choice, I'd vote for that one!

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, heh, heh--you'll find out my choice in a few days. Good guess.

      No Killers in this contest, just rockers.

      A vote for Spencer Davis.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. My results posts don't get much attention, either, but I think that's probably due to things on the blogs slowing down in general, then slowing down even more over the summer. Maybe it will pick back up soon. In the meantime, I've considered just amending my Battle post to announce the winner at the top, but no one would know to come check on it if the blog isn't updated. There's nothing wrong blogging about other stuff in the same post, though, so that might an option for those of us who would like to get more eyes on those posts.

    You have a great Battle again this time! I love The Yardbirds, but didn't care for this song. I really liked Spencer Davis's version, but my favorite of the bunch is THE ILLUSION. I'd never heard of them, natch, but I really liked their early 70s psychedelic-ish sound!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, summer has always been a slower time for my blog, but I try to keep things going nevertheless. I try to always incorporate something other than music in my BOTB posts even if only a question for readers to ponder. I realize that some people aren't interested in music though that's something that I don't quite understand.

      A vote for The Illusion.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. The Illusion, no doubt. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LEE ~

    When I was young, I owned that same Yardbirds album. At that time, I probably thought it was one of those albums you are "supposed" to own. But, truth be known, I never played it very much because it really didn't appeal to me very much. And that song still doesn't.

    I have ALWAYS been a Steve Winwood fan - Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, solo artist - and I dug (and still dig) the Spencer Davis Group's song 'I'm A Man'.

    The Illusion was new to me. And although I liked the recording well enough, I felt it became a bit self-indulgent and unnecessarily long and "jammy".

    EZ vote here from me for STEVIE & THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, never did and still don't own any albums in any format by The Yardbirds and yet I've always liked them. They were a big influence over rock, but not so much over me.

      I have several albums by or featuring Steve Winwood. He too was very influential and had quite a musical career. Traffic remains one of my all time favorite groups.

      EZ vote for Spencer Davis.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. You do have one thing going for you...you are in the "older" group otherwise, yup, you are screwed:) I give it to The Yardbirds because I just always loved their style and that song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, "older" doesn't seem to garner the same kind of respect from youth as it did when I was younger. Though I guess I could be kind of disrespectful at times so maybe I'm getting payback.

      A needed vote for The Yardbirds.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. An interesting trio from an interesting man, Lee. Hard too. I remember listening to Chicago's version of "I'm A Man" years ago, so knew the SDG version. I was tempted by the Illusion but I'm bucking the trend and not choosing them.

    The Yardbirds were different and innovative in their day - and their legacy is huge mainly because of the members. I love their guitar sound - speeded up or not. At least, I note a few votes for these oldies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, your vote is a welcome one...

      For The Yardbirds.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Well done Blogman, you got some neat tunes from a cool year there, 1970 rocks respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy, good to see you. Not sure I discern a vote in this comment, but thank you for commenting.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I like who you are, Lee! Far as I can tell, so does everyone who’s ever met you – online or elsewhere. You’re not only one in a million; you’re one of millions who feel the same way. You can’t buy, beg, borrow, or steal wisdom.

    I hope those fires I read about are not impacting you and yours. The fire here is finally out. Now we’re praying for rain.

    Interesting battle! I hadn’t heard of The Illusion, but then, I’d never heard the word mondegreen before now either. Cool word ;-)

    I remember the Yardbirds best for “For Your Love”

    My vote goes to the Spencer Davis Group and “I’m A Man” because I really like that song!

    Thanks, Lee. Have a terrific August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, oh, the kind words are killing me! Don't stop the encouragement--I need it!

      No fires here. Not even any smoke. Our world is the same as it ever was, just weirder these days.

      A vote for Spencer Davis.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. This is an easy choice for me. I am going with the track was fun to listen to. If I have heard it, I do not recall. Never mind that. It had the sound and feel of a happy time in my then young life.

    I choose The Illusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, all these songs take me back to a time that was good in memory, but not probably always as good when I was there.

      A vote for The Illusion.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Can't go wrong with either of these songs. I like that riff in the song by Illusion they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I think that riff is pretty catchy too.

      A vote for The Illusion.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Hey, Arlee! I'm sitting in the car using voice-to-text technology and even when I'm saying it clearly it wants to put your name as Arlene. Hahaha! Regardless, I like you just the way you are...so keep with it!

    You know what else I like? The Spencer Davis group! Far and away my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherdo, I've been "called" Arlene a lot in written comments. I'm okay either way.

      A vote for Spencer Davis.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee