Sometimes apologizing can be an awkward and even humiliating experience. I usually don't have any problem apologizing when I realize I've been in the wrong. The experience for me can be very liberating and uplifting. Sometimes I've even made new friends in the process. Being at odds with anyone is not a healthy situation to be in.
The need to apologize usually stems from one or more of the following:
- Misunderstanding what another has said.
- Not having fully heard what was being said.
- Taking the wrong side unfairly against another party.
- Jumping on a bandwagon without knowing all the facts.
- Not seeing things from the other point of view.
- Being selfish.
- Allowing jealousy or resentment toward another color your opinion of them.
- Flat out being wrong and sticking with that wrong for too long.
Since I tend to be slow to react and I like to hear all sides of an issue, I usually don't end up having to apologize much. Sometimes I might have to do some explaining to clarify things, but usually it's a matter of trying to help the disagreement side understand better what is going on.
I don't recall ever having to make an apology for anything I've written on my blog because I try to think my posts through carefully and avoid saying negative things about other bloggers. I may disagree sometimes, but I don't get vicious toward anyone. This is not true with all bloggers though. And I rarely see apologies coming from those sorts of bloggers. Of course, I don't frequent those types of blogs too much so maybe I've missed some of their apologies.
Do you apologize when you know you've been wrong or do you just let things go? Do you have greater respect for someone who admits they are wrong and offers an apology? Do you know of any bloggers who you think need to apologize to another blogger? Are there any apologies you'd like to make to anyone?