This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, October 21, 2024

Down to Earth Results ( #BOTB Results )

        I was on Creativity Highway when I pulled over to a rest stop to take a break.  I went into the bathroom building for a moment and when I returned my car was gone and I was stranded at the rest stop.  Fortunately they have a nice comfortable waiting area with sofas and such so I can relax until my new mode of transportation comes.  I mean this all metaphorically of course--not literally.  Or do I?


Battle of the Bands Results



The Spooky Halloween Battle

       My most recent Battle was a Halloween special that featured the beach music stylings of Frankie Stein and his Orchestra against the far out sounds of spacey Jeff Barry.  These were both songs that entertained me when I was a kid and embedded themselves in my musical memory.

       In my brief research effort I could not find any actual information about Frankie and his Ghoul Crew.  It's likely the albums were compiled using various studio musicians.  Several albums have been released under the band name and it's all pretty listenable sixties instrumental music if you can deal with the "scary" sound effects that are interwoven throughout the music.  That's what I loved when I was a kid.

     On the other hand, Jeff Barry was a credible songwriter who wrote many hits most of you know well.  With his partner, they cranked out songs like "Be My Baby," "Hanky Panky," "Leader of the Pack," and "Do Wah Diddy," and so many others.  He also with his wife and on his own wrote numerous television show themes and song used in film.  "Face from Outer Space" is among his earliest efforts done when silly novelty songs were all the rage.  That's when his song caught my attention.  I've never heard it played elsewhere since then other than finding it on YouTube.  The song really has stuck with me over the years.

       Between the two songs, if I were to choose background music played on a loop then I'd probably go with Frankie Stein.  However as far as the better--or at least my favorite--I'd have to cast my vote for Jeff Barry.  Not what the majority opted for.



Final Vote Tally

Frankie Stein       7 votes

Jeff Barry             4 votes





Next Battle November 1

     I won't say anything about how we're getting close to the end of another year.  Or maybe I just did...






1 comment:

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee