This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

A Thank You to All of My Teachers ( #IWSG )

      There have been some things in my life that I didn't want to do that I'm glad that I was essentially forced to do.  Other things that I was expected to do, I was not so happy about doing....


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the September 4 posting of the IWSG are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando.




September 4 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?


       Thanks to my education in the public school system, I can write reasonably well. In my post elementary school years, I had mostly decent English teachers as well as a few that were outstanding.  The teachers that laid the groundwork for those higher education years did a fine job of helping me enjoy writing and doing it with some semblance of skill.  So, I cannot think of any writing rules that I learned that were detrimental to me.  

      I must be getting pretty complacent in my sunset years.  That's okay.

   
       

       






9 comments:

  1. That's a good thing though. Nothing to trip you up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my English teachers were really good. We had a student teach once and through her, I learned to hate the word predicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to write reasonably well, so I have to think something of what the teachers taught me must've stayed with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "sunset years" - a great phrase for this stage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an English teacher for College Comp, and she messed me up by stating she wanted "details" before writing your essay. Thing was, she never explained what that concept was, so I came very close in failing that class. Messed me up for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there you have it, Lee. You were just born this way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good teacher can make all the difference! ☺ We may be in our sunset years, but those still shine brightly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A smooth ride is good. I did do a journalism course after leaving school, and I learned even more from that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always happy to hear people saying they had great teachers! I know I had several who were fantastic and made a difference for me.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee