This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, January 8, 2024

Off to a Start ( #BOTB Results )

    Yeah, we're off to a start, my wife and I.  Not a bad beginning to a new year and maybe totally appropriate...

        Betty was already nursing a positive COVID reading prior to the Big Eve. On that celebrative evening I don't think my wife was drinking any alcohol. For lack of anything else, I filled a tall glass tumbler one third gin and the rest root beer.  After my initial surprise as to how good it tasted, I reflected on the nature of the two drinks--juniper berries and some kind of aromatic roots--and it made sense that they would work well together.

       At about 9 PM Betty headed up to bed and I was right behind her.  The drink had really done me in.  I was asleep before 9:30.  However we didn't miss the arrival of the new year thanks to all those assholes around our neighborhood who shoot off car-alarm triggering big boom fireworks at regular intervals for a long time.  I probably dozed off again by 12:30.

        After a fitful sleep I awoke at daylight burning up. My wife checked my temperature. It was normal so she administered a COVID test (we had some on hand so might as well use them).  I tested positive and did so for the next three days. I wasn't like dying sick, but it was more like I need a longer nap sick.  Then it passed and now it's like maybe it didn't really happen.

         Maybe it didn't...


Battle of the Bands Results



High and Low Low

     Rather than being a lulu, my first Battle of the year was a rather lackluster event. No one seemed particularly enthused about either of my song picks. I liked them both but my favorite was definitely "Mt Whitney" which is the one that inspired the Battle in the first place. I think it's a lovely song and Palmyra does an excellent job with the back up vocals and instrumental backing.  


Final Vote Tally

Palmyra               3 votes

My Jerusalem      7 votes



Next Battle on Monday January 15

      Since Stephen T McCarthy and some others indicated that they were doing a mid-month Battle then so will I.   Well, I probably would have done one anyway.  See you then.





6 comments:

  1. Sorry you caught it although glad it was really mild. I think at this point, everyone will have it at some point, like the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gin and root beer sounds about as good as gin and ginger ale, which I've had. I lost, oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEE ~

    Hmmm.... Gin & root beer, eh? I've never had that. Helck, I've also never even tried gin & ginger ale, as mentioned by Brother John. And here I have presented myself around these parts as the Blogosphere's version of "the town drunk". I guess I got some work for my liver to do. ;^)

    I'll see ya on the 15th. I've got a new BOTB's BOTB (or, Battle In The Bar #2) already written up.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some fireworks in our neighborhood but nothing ear piercing or big enough to trigger car alarms. I'm sorry you came down with Covid (or something). I think some people handle illness better than others. Mom had Covid and Strep just before Thanksgiving. She sounded tired and did do a lot of sleeping she said but it was the terrible cough that forced her to go to the clinic. They gave her something really kicked it in the head, though. I felt she bounded back pretty quickly considering how awful some fair with it. My daughter and her little girl had it last month. Between the two of them all of December was spent in misery. They both have nasty coughs that won't go away but I've heard that's the case with some people. The human body is a mystery how it works.

    It appears I was on the wining side of your battle. I'll try to stop into vote in your mid-month battle if I don't forget. I have a lot going on here. Have a funtastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting holiday beverage choice ;-) Sorry you guys had to deal with Covid AND idiots. Glad it's old news now, and that you both stay well and warm.
    Good battle, Lee! About now, I'd take any warmth Death Valley has to offer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to be on the winning side! ☺ Sorry you've been sick, but at least it didn't linger too long. I've never tried gin and root beer. Interesting combo!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee