This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, September 8, 2023

A Well-Deserved Outcome ( #BOTB Results )

       There are some things I want that I might not get and there are some things that I don't particularly want but end up getting anyway.  And then there are some things that I usually don't want but I'm happy to get because it just seems like the way things should be...



Battle of the Bands Results



The Notorious Record Toss

      My recent Battle centered around an incident from my early college years when I was still working with my family's juggling act.  We would have regular practice sessions where we would run through our routine several times to keep in shape.  One evening I put on a cut from one of my favorite rock albums to switch things up.  My father was infuriated with my song choice and ripped the LP off the turntable and sailed it across the room like a frisbee. The  mission of the Battle was to figure out which cuts from albums by Santana and Cream angered him so and which was--well, kind of--okay.

       Usually our goal is to avoid a complete shut out, but in the case of this Battle an obliteration of the opponent proves a point.  My father could not tolerate the Cream song "Rollin' and Tumlin'".   I never liked it much either, but I was not happy about my father throwing my record.  It survived and I still have it in my vinyl collection.  But I still don't like that particular song.  And it seems that the majority of voters agreed.  A few of you did like it, but not enough to vote for it.

         The consensus among all voters including me is that Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" was the superior recording.  With the drumming and fast-paced rhythms the song makes for outstanding juggling music. It was similar to some of the Latin music that we already used in our act so Santana was a natural for our practice session for at least one run through.   My father wasn't going to be updating the act with any rock music.

         At least I tried to contribute.  

Final Vote Tally

Cream           0

Santana       13

Yay!

???????

     Maybe I'll do another Battle on Friday the 15th  There is more to the juggling rehearsal story.



         

5 comments:

  1. If a BOTBer is going to wind up with a shutout, at least it probably goes down easier when the BOTBer agrees that a shutout was justified.

    I'll catch you at the next one. (Any more LP Frisbees flying through the air in the future? ;^)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just a bit puzzled by this battle. The right song won, of course, but the undistilled vitriol regarding the Cream song puzzles me. I like it better than 50% of the songs ever featured on Tossing It Out, and - though Rollin and Tumblin was not my favorite by any means - thought that the main factor was just that the Soul Sacrifice was just a great song. Oh well. First mistake this year. What other albums might your dad have tossed across the room.

    You know, I didn't really think of how I would have reacted to that move by my father. I suspect I would have quit the act then and there. But then, I was always kinda...

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arlee, this was an intriguing match up. At first glance, I was leaning toward Cream but after a further listen, I would have chosen Santana. Deciding factor was Cream covered a song from long ago while Santana's entry was an original. I'm newish to your blog. I believe I followed you long ago, around 2012-2013 but can't be positive. I contributed in the A-Z challenge one of those years and if I had to guess, it would have been 2013. I have began posting once more at habitualhobbit.blogspot.com. If you care to, you can catch up with me after 10 years of not writing. I plan on getting involved once again and cannot wait to join the challenge once again. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee