This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Marching into March ( #IWSG & #BOTB )

 

  The Blogging from A to Z April Challenge is upon us!  I'm planning to participate even with my current computer issues.   Who's with us this year?  The A to Z Team is diligently working on things now.  Be watching the A to Z blog!

  And now on to the issues of the day...

   

The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the March 1 posting of the IWSG are Diedre Knight, Tonya Drecker, Bish Denham, Olga Godim, and JQ Rose




March 1 question - Have you ever read a line in novel or a clever plot twist that caused you to have author envy?



       I don't like to think so much in terms of envy, but in light of the question at hand I'll play along.  Maybe instead of "envy" I'd prefer to think of admiration or respect for the abilities of another.  This not only goes for other writers, but also musicians and composers, visual artists, or even other jugglers (if you know what I mean).

       This being said, there are certainly those times when I read something another writer has written and wish that I could express myself just as well.  Whenever I read a story by Flannery O'Connor I marvel at her amazing abilities of written expression.  Back when I was in college in the early seventies I would attempt to emulate her writing style as well as her quirky storytelling abilities. 

     Or I recall reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby in 2013 and being in a sort of state of reverent awe about certain passages--especially the closing lines of that novel.  Why couldn't I write something that moved me like that?  

      Then there are those authors of comic writing that come up with something that will have me laughing out loud.  I have a pretty good sense of humor, but I can't seem to be that funny much of the time.  How do those writers make us laugh with their words?   I wish I could do that.

     Yes, I suppose I do have a certain envy, but then if I wrote like them maybe it wouldn't be me.  I guess I need to be content with who I am and what I write.  And if I write enough, maybe someday some other aspiring writer will envy my writing.   Or at least appreciate it.

Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

Marches for March

      Seems appropriate to feature a couple of popular old time marches for my March Battle of the Bands You probably have heard both of these sometime in your lifetime--likely many times.  Now these are usually associated with Christmas, but they do have something to do with toys thereby making them conducive to the biggest toy time of the year.  Enjoy these relics of the past and see which one you like the best...

Leon Jessel    "Parade of the Tin (Wooden) Soldiers"   (1897)

       A musical character piece originally written for piano, this song has been a favorite of orchestras and bands for over a hundred years now.




Victor Herbert  " March of the Toys"  (1903)

       This popular piece comes from the operetta Babes in Toyland.  I'm sure you've heard this one.  What do you think of when you hear it?







Time to Vote!

           Forward march!  Or should I say Vote!  Just listen and appreciate.  Which song do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 





Battle Results on Wednesday March 8     

         Be sure to come back for the exciting conclusion to this week's Battle.  And if I have anything else to say, I'll go ahead and say it then.




34 comments:

  1. We all have our own style of writing. And I wouldn't say mine was an active envy as in jealousy either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, the main thing for me when reading is that I can comprehend easily. I hate getting bogged down by excessive writing.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I was forced to read The Great Gatsby in high school (and we also watched the movie, which I liked better). Maybe I need to give it another go now that I am older.

    Parade of the Wooden Soldiers is a bit more familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, I was past 50 when I first read "Gatsby" so I think I was able to appreciate it more than I might have at a younger age. You might want to try reading it again. It's a pretty short fast read.

      First vote goes to Leon Jessel.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Lee,

    I decided to set next month out for the A to Z Challenge. It became clear to me that it was important that I do not participate still feeling stretch too thin and not ready to give it my all.

    Turning my attention to your battle. What an interesting one! I think I'm going with MARCH OF THE TOYS for no particular reason other than I like the title. Who doesn't like toys?

    My battle is now up, Beatles Greatest Hits BOTB series Love Me Do. Hope over when you get a chance. Have a bandtastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, you gotta do what makes you most comfortable I guess. Then again, getting out of your comfort zone can be good for you.

      A vote for Victor Herbert.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee,
    For me, it's not so much envy as enchantment when a well-written line gives me pause. It often feels like a gift from the author.
    My vote goes to the jovial Parade of Wooden Soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I too have been enchanted by good writing at times. It's like listening to good music.

      A vote for Leon Jessel.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Such a interesting battle, Lee. I admit I am drawn to both , but if I am forced to make a decision, it would be March of the Toys, Lots of intricacy there.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, both songs are kind of similar so I get that it's a tough decision. I'm going back and forth with my vote.

      A vote for Victor Herbert

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Clever lines are usually the ones that make me pause in admiration. They tend to stick with me forever.

    Fun choices for the battle. I'm going with Leon Jessel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, the best lines usually end up as quotable quotes.

      A vote for Leon Jessel.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I'm a suckered for Arthur Fiedler because he knew how to conduct! He made a piece fun and didn't make it too dadt or too slow. So my vote goes to the 2nd one. I always think of Christmas when I hear these tunes.
    I love your answer to the question and agree that I'm not envious but hold a respect to authors who ca surprise me or make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, surprise and laughter are something I don't feel like I do well, but I like both in literature.

      A vote for Victor Herbert.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I admire rather than envy excellent writers. Something to aspire to! ☺

    A different style of battle today. I remember both of these, but prefer the fuller sound of Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, my aspirations are huge, my work ethic often is not.

      A vote for Victor Herbert.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I'm really torn: I'm a huge fan of Arthur Fiedler and The Boston Pops, but I like "March of the Wooden Soldiers" (ever so slightly) more than "March of the Toys." Since the battle is between composers, I'll go with Leon Jessel. Good battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, either march is worth voting for.

      Another vote for Leon Jessel.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I think we can learn a lot from reading other writers. Don't have to feel envy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, a good writer typically reads a lot. We learn to write better by reading good writing.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Neat Battle, LEE.

    I liked BOTH of these recordings a great deal. But I slightly prefer the Victor Herbert "March of the Toys" recording. The arrangement was more intricate and therefore more interesting to me. But, no losers in this Battle.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I'm with you on your analysis.

      Victor Herbert.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. There's no way I ever go against Babes in Toyland! As for a line from a novel, one that's stuck with me for all these years comes from Animal Farm: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." Of course, it's one that means a lot to me, for different reasons of course.

      Delete
    3. Mitch, I take your comment as a vote for...

      Victor Herbert.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Yeah, these are both good marches. It is my honest belief that it might be difficult to write a BAD march. Tough choice here between these two in particular, but the bigger sound of the second one gets my vote.
    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, did you ever get your computer issue solved? - 6-Gun

      Delete
    2. 6-Gun, no I have not solved my computer problem other than borrowing my wife's computer for blogging. It's working for now.

      Now I'm trying to think of a bad march. If the music gets you on the move then it's done its job.

      Again it's Victor Herbert.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Most of us have suggested a different word for envy. Admiration, awe, respect. Some writers just grab our attention with the way they put words together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, putting the right words together is a skill to which I aspire.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. My Cousin Tom on Facebook gave a vote for...

    Leon Jessel.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good writing always makes me sigh with that good sort of envy that inspires me to want to write better.

    As for the choices of songs. I'm familiar with both, but I rather like the simplicity of Parade of Tin (Wooden) Soldiers. It's a catchy tune and I can see those little soldiers on their parade ground marching around. Fielder's Babes in Toyland theme is so big and lush it's kind of overpowering. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bish, when the writing is really good I might not initially even think about because I'm so enthralled in the reading of it.

      A vote for Leon Jessel.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. I am so looking forward to A2Z this year, I'm thinking maybe how to create a character and what makes me choose who I do for my novels and stories. I am also thinking about world creation as I write fantasy, sci-fi and horror that have links to thrillers, mystery and mayhem.
    On the issue of the Insecure Writers Post, I'd like to know a writer who hasn't been just a tiny bit envious of a line or plot twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWW, best of luck with the April Challenge!

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee