This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

And Your Bird Can Sing ( #BOTB )

 

    In my previous post I made a special request to my readers to visit my granddaughter Marley's YouTube page and become a "Subscriber".  If you haven't do so yet then I hope you'll visit her YouTube page and click through the procedure.  I'm trying to help her reach 100 subscribers by her birthday which is this week.  

       Marley sings like a bird and that leads me to my Battle of the Bands installment for this date...


Battle of the Bands




        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this                                                                                 post for more Battle action.


And Your Bird Can Sing

         This song was always one of my favorite Beatles tunes.  Maybe it's not as well known as some of their other tunes, but I think it's just as good if not better than most.  And it references "bird".  Another reason for me to take notice.

       Anyway, I've found two similarly presented videos of groups covering this Beatles song.  From the videos the groups seem to be out standing in their fields--or sitting or whatever.  Let us know whose version you like best...


Josh Turner Guitar   "And Your Bird Can Sing"   (2020)

 

Skyy Theater  "And Your Bird Can Sing"  (2016)






Time to Vote!
        
         This Battle is one for the Bird.    Please join in and play along in this Battle of the Bands.  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.   Which version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Wednesday September 22nd

        Vote on the Battle and subscribe to Marley Lego's YouTube channel.  Come back to hear the results.











21 comments:

  1. Both very similar but I'd give it to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, this is one of those songs where most covers probably would sound similar.

      First vote goes to Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I read an interview with Joe Walsh who said that, years ago, he learned the guitar part for "And Your Bird Can Sing" and had all kinds of trouble with it, but managed to do it. He met George Harrison later and asked him how he did it, and George told him he double-tracked it, that he couldn't play it by himself. Both Josh Turner and the guy playing the Strat with Skyy Theater have nailed the part. The main difference is something out of the players' control: Josh's guitar has humbucking pickups, like the Gibson SG that George used to record the song, while the guy from Skyy Theater used a Stratocaster with three single-coil pickups and didn't quite get the sound. Still, you have to give both groups credit, but I'll go with Josh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I'll take your word about this since you are more the guitar expert than I am. They both sound pretty good to me.

      A vote for Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I subscribed to your granddaughter's page and thank you for the link! I listened to both but I found Skyy Theater cleaner and more professional in sound. the first one sounded like someone who jams in my livingroom...not that there is anything wrong with that but they didn't sound as clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, thanks for subscribing to Marley's channel.

      You must have some pretty good jams going on in your living room!

      A vote for Skyy Theater.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Hey Lee,

    I was happy to find you at my place yesterday for a visit and to know that you're making a go at getting back into your blogging routine. Oh yeah, I subscribed to Marley's YT channel yesterday. :)

    Your contenders for this Beatle's song did a great job. Josh Turner Guitar, is that the name of the band or is this suppose to mean literally how it reads?, earned my vote. Their version sounded more fun and the harmonies fantastic. I didn't care too much for the falsetto part, though. At first I thought some girls got in on the action until I watched the view. lol Also, it had me dancing in the kitchen. Have a great afternoon, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks for your support for Marley.

      I just copied the name from the YouTube page. Guess it's "Josh Turner Guitar".

      A vote for Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Your granddaughter is very good, Lee. I subscribed to her page. As for the battle, both covers are pretty good, but I thought Skyy Theater had a fuller sound, so I'll go with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, for a kid her age I think Marley is quite good. She might have some big things musically in her future if she stays on her current course. Thanks for supporting her efforts.

      A vote for Skyy Theater.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. From Facebook a vote from my cousin Tom for...

    Josh Turner Guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LEE ~

    Almost six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. I preferred the vocals in the first one but the richer, less twangy sound in the second.

    Although I don't let videos sway my votes, I feel like I should probably ding Skyy Theater for their ultra-dumb video. What were they thinking?! Were they trying to look like The Partridge Family or Brady Bunch?! (Maybe The Monkees?)

    I guess I'll go for the superior vocals and vote JOSH TURNER.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I think Skyy Theater was emulating the Beatles with schtick reminiscent of their movies. Same poses and all. I could appreciate the nonsense taken in that context.

      Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I vote for the first one Lee, and yes I did visit your grandaughter's You Tube, she has a lovely voice and personality. Good luck to her.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, thank you for showing your support for Marley.

      A vote for Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I subscribed to your sweet granddaughter's you tube. Happy first decade Birthday to her!
    For the battle I like Josh Turner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doreen, thanks for supporting Marley's efforts

      Again it's Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I love this song!!! First is a decent version. Also signed up to follow Marley!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks for subscribing. I know Marley appreciates it.

      A vote for Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. What a fun battle! Both versions are good. I like the harmonizing of Skyy Theater, but am voting for Josh and Co. because they didn't need to ;-)

    Marley is very talented! A group of young musicians I know thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, thanks for sharing the video with others. Hope they all subscribed to her channel.

      A vote for Josh Turner.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee