This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Pure Morning (#BOTB)

        It's like morning coming back to my blog. Oh, I poked my blogging head up a couple of times over the past few months to make my presence known.  Time to get up I suppose.  Here's a midmonth Battle of the Bands post to kick off my return to blogging routine.


Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Pure Morning

      This 1998 song from the group Placebo somehow crossed my Battle of the Bands mind several years ago when I discovered the song and then realized there were a number of covers.  Why not?  Sounds like BOTB material to me.  And the song intrigued my ears.  Time to get it out of the queue and into the arena.  Tell us what you think...

The Airplane  "Pure Morning"  (2014)









Mr. Djioules "Pure Morning" (2015)








Time to Vote!

         Wake up and smell the coffee!    Just take a listen to the songs then tell us which song version  you like best? 
  Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours. I don't know if anyone else will be doing a Battle this time around, but you can still check out these sites.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 







Results on Wednesday August 21
 
       Hope I don't forget.  If you vote then I'll likely not forget.  So vote if you will.



21 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I definitely like The Airplane's version best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, it's taking time to get back into the blogging groove.

      First vote Airplane

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I'm giving my vote to The Airplane. Welcome back, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thank you!

      Another vote for Airplane.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. VOTE = THE AIRPLANE

    I enjoyed their instrumentation and the vocals much better. ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Djioules had harmonica in his. I'm going with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, knew the bluesy sound would win some support.

      A vote for Mr Djioules.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Airplane! So good to have you back, Lee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, good to be back!

      A vote for Airplane

      Lee

      Delete
  6. The Airplane version kinda reminded me of another song I really like, so I had to go research it. The song is "Pepper" by Butthole Surfers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sGmSEehi4
    The two songs are not too much the same, but I like the psycadellic musical vibe, plus the need to look up another song and get those dirty looks from my Hubby as he's trying to watch his Western shows.
    I liked the hick guitar and harmonica from Mr D, and usually that combo would win out for me; but tonight I really like The Airplane version. Probably cuz I've been binging Dexter, and psycho and psycadellic is about the same, lol.

    Good battle though. Not an easy choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolorah, yeah I can hear the similar vibe. I used to listen to the Surfers a lot. Not so much anymore. I did the Dexter binge a while back.

      Another vote for Airplane.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I'm not familiar with this song and liked both versions. The cover by Mr. D. held my interest more, because of the huskier vocals and the harmonica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, the song was new to me too.

      A vote for Mr Djioule

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Welcome back, BOIDMAN!

    Helck, this one was just super-easy. Airplane's version never even got off the ground for me. I had to do a double-take to make sure that wasn't Geddy Lee doing the... uhm... the "singing". I'm not sure which I like less, Geddy Lee, bagpipes, or someone closing the car door on my hand.

    Mr. Djioules sounded like a cross between Tom Waits and Little Walter, and that is much, Much, MUCH more my kind of sound.

    Chalk up one mo' for Mr. D., please.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    POSTSCRIPT: Although she doesn't regularly post BOTB installments, Donna, the book lover, decided to put one up this time, as another tribute to FAE (farawayeyes). If you get a chance to deposit two cents in her BOTB kitty, you will find Donna's Battle located at...
    [Link> BOOK LOVER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POST-POSTSCRIPT:
      "Least", not "less".

      ~ D'DogG-Boy

      Delete
    2. STMcC, thanks for letting me know about Donna's post.
      I figured your vote would go like it did---

      Mr Djioules.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I vote for Airplane. I just liked the sound and style better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, you've nailed the essence of BOTB.

      Airplane

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Hi Lee -
    I almost missed that you had started posting again. Mark me down as the opposite from McCarthy. The- second version was annoyingly monotonous to me. I get that the song itself has a hypnotic/repetitive vibe to it, but the more electronica version works properly with it and the other seems wrong. Like if Bob Dylan sang "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by the Verve or "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers. It would sound wrong to me.

    I actually like The Airplane's version better than the original Placebo version. They get my vote.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, nice explanation.

      A vote for Airplane.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee