This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, November 15, 2019

I'd Rather Have the Blues (#BOTB)


Ho, ho, ho and all that nonsensical holiday stuff.   Hard to believe that Thanksgiving 2019 is upon us and soon Christmas 2019 will be just another memory.  Time to be happy everyone!



Blue (or is it "Blah") Christmas

      I'm in no mood for holiday seasons or joyful times of gathering together to celebrate.   It's not that I'm particularly unhappy or sad in any way.  I'm just not in the spirit of things.  Not planning to go anywhere this year and not even interested in doing any festive decorating.  Just have to put it all away again when the new year comes.

      No, I don't have the blues.  I guess it's more like the blahs.  Maybe the blues would be better?  At least it would mean feeling something.

       But feelings be damned!   Give me logic any day.  Feelings just get us in trouble, lead us to do dumb things.   Maybe if we all relied less on feelings and more on logic then maybe the world would make more sense.   Everything seems so crazy and lacking sense these days.

         But blahs don't inspire much.  Maybe I'd rather have the blues...



Battle of the Bands

        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


I"d Rather Have the Blues

        One of my favorite films is the 1955 noir classic Kiss Me Deadly.   This ominous classic has provided inspiration to many films that came after it including Tarantino's Pulp FictionKiss Me Deadly is a film that I didn't see for the first time until sometime in the 90's (after reading about it in a review of Pulp Fiction).  It's now among the films that I added to my DVD collection and find myself watching periodically.  I would rank this high in my list of favorite movies.

           As the film opens, tough guy L.A. detective Mike Hammer is driving a lonely stretch of road at night when he encounters a barely dressed woman running in the middle of the highway.  He picks her up and the mysteries begin.  As the opening credits roll across dark highway scenes, we hear on the car radio a melancholy song by Nat King Cole which I offer for your listening enjoyment, but please don't vote on this version.  Other artists usually don't do too well when put up against Cole, but you might want to hear this original version before moving on to the Battle...





....and now that we have gotten that out of the way, let's move on to the contestants in this episode of Battle of the Bands...

Please vote for one of the following:

Lauren White   "I'd Rather Have the Blues"   (2016)

      Lauren is a jazz singer and actress who currently lives in Los Angeles.   I wonder if she's got the blahs like I've got of late in my L.A. life?  Nah--I doubt it...






Pat Dinizio   "I'd Rather Have the Blues"   (1997)

        Singer Pat Dinizio was a founding member of The Smithereens.  I used to listen to them back in the nineties I guess.  Dinizio died in 2017.   Maybe right now he'd rather have the blues...










Time to Vote!

    
    Are you as torn between these two versions as I am?  D
o you have a preference between these two choices?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind. Which version do you like the best?   You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ 

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 

A I Love Music


Winner of this Battle Announced on Friday November 22nd

         Take some time to savor these luscious recordings and come to a decision on your favorite.  Inquiring minds want to know.  And so do I...

            How's the spirit of the holiday season creeping up on you this year?   Are you ready for some big times?   Would you prefer to be snowed in with complete provisions for comfortable living in a nice cabin in the mountains?















37 comments:

  1. I can relate to how you feel Lee.

    My vote goes to Lauren White.
    Have a good weekend.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, yeah, I guess you probably do.

      First vote goes to Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Tough battle. I skipped the original and just listened to the two fighters. Think I'll have to go with Pat Dinizio.
    I'll try to send some Christmas cheer your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, you can send some cheer and maybe I'll get out of that "bah humbug" place I'm in.

      A vote for Pat Dinizio.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I've been stoked for Christmas for weeks now and it will really go into overdrive next week when we see TSO. (For the 15th time.)

    I like Pat's deep, rich voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, it's been a long long time since I've really gotten stoked for Christmas, but I usually enjoy the travelling I've done during the season. That TSO show really has its fans. I've heard about the show, but yet to go.

      A vote for Pat Dinizio.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee,

    I understand how you feel because I'm suffering from that blah feeling, too. Of course, I recognize it for what it is and pull myself up by the boot straps to get things done despite that dread. I'm going with Pat DDinizio. Overall prefer male vocals to female but his arrangement doesn't seem to drag as slow as his female contender. Have a good weekend and when time allows please join me in #BoTB Round 15 'Piece of My Heart' showdown, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, not much I'm going to be doing. Can't really afford buying gifts anymore. Maybe we'll do something special though.

      A vote for Pat Dinizio.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee,

      If money is tight and it certainly is for many, don't worry about buying gifts. There have been many times over the years where I did homemade gifts, mostly I made candy but occasionally did some something crafty. You're a talented writter, you might wish to think of using that to your benefit by composing poetry for family member or sharing Christmas stories from the past with your daughters. I know they would love to get such treasures! Christmas isn't about the gifts, as you know, it's about the greatest gift given to the world. Feel your heart and mind with this peace allowing the warmth of season to fill every nook of your soul. Blessings to you, my friend!

      Delete
  5. I am going with Lauren because, even though she dragged a bit but Pat's version started to grate on me when he sang the refrain in such a deadpan way. I love that movie which I wish would be on TV more or at least just once. I am getting into the spirit since we got a foot of snow on Remembrance Day. I am thinking about baking cookies and I have to plan all my decorating:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, Kiss Me Deadly shows up on TCM now and then. I got my DVD copy fairly cheap so it was well worth the price. My wife will probably want to do some decorating, but so far we haven't done anything.

      A vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. LEE ~
    I'm going to vote for LAUREN WHITE. I liked the musical backing of Pat Dinizio's rendition but I didn't like his vocal approach at all. I understand what he was doing: trying to convey that dead feeling of something worse than the blues through his dragged-along singing style. But it just kind of bored me after awhile. (I still want a song to entertain me, even if it *IS* about something bluer than the blues.)

    ~ Stephen
    DogGtor of Alcohology &
    King of Inebriation Nation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I'm kind of thinking along similar lines about this contest, but I'll have to listen a few more times.

      Again it's Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Lauren White gets my vote here. She has a great voice and this is a perfect song for her. I'm not able to find anything about her, oddly enough: I've checked Wikipedia, Allmusic, and Discogs, and I find neither her nor her album. I'll check again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I didn't spend an immense time in research, but, well, that's why I didn't say much about her. Didn't find much.

      A vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. You know what, Lee? The Boombox says, "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad." So there is that.

    Pat Dinizio

    ReplyDelete
  9. I listened to the contestants in order, and after hearing Lauren, I thought: "Pat is going to blow her to Smithereens!"

    But then I listened to Dinizio.

    So, by process of elimination, by default, by the lesser of two evils, I vote for Lauren.

    I like the song a lot, and Nat King Cole sounds great. He would have received every vote if he'd been eligible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>... "Nat King Cole... would have received every vote if he'd been eligible."

      I feel pretty confident in saying this:
      WITHOUT A DOUBT!

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
    2. 6-Gun & STmcC--

      That's why I didn't use Nat's version. He's the King--well, one of the kings of modern music.

      Another vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Lauren for me, as well. She has a silky edge to her voice that I could listen to for more time.

    Last year was a race-to-the-finish year. Halloween+T-giving+Christmas was all one big stew pot.

    This year I skipped H-ween, will slide thru T-giving and then linger for a long time at Christmas. We all need to have something to rejoice about and celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, life is flying by. I'll have a special Christmas because every day is special even in times of "blah".

      A vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. The blahs are not fun. At least with the blues you can write some good music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PTM, blahs are not necessarily fun or not fun. That's what makes them the blahs I guess. Blues can inspire.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed both but finally felt the Pat Dinizio version expressed to me the essence of the song. The other version felt too upbeat.

    Hoping the 'blah' brightens up. Or should I say, 'Humbug'? (I'm about to read A Christmas Carol by coincidence.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, all will be well--it always is eventually.

      A vote for Pat Dinizio.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I'll take Pat. Pretty much a draw for me, but just enough more interest in his. Agree with the sentiments in the song, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, kind of a draw for me as well, but that's my aim in these Battles.

      A vote for Pat Dinizio.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. A legend, a female voice, or a really nice guy (that is my impression from meeting Pat). My voice for this song goes for Lauren White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I don't know much about him personally, but I thought he did well on this song.

      A vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook...

    A vote for Lauren White.

    lee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blues and blahs seem to be prevalent, this time of year. At least you have that California sunshine to cheer things up. We get a lot of gloomy, overcast, cold rainy/snowy stuff. Both contenders were good, but I really like the saxophone and Pat's vocals, so he gets my vote. Hope you find some bright spots over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, yeah, we do have the weather and usually it's pretty decent.

      Again one for Pat Dinizio.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. I recently talked about Nat's daughter Natalie on my blog. What timing! It been getting windy and cold here in Japan, however it will be warm next week with highs in the 70s! We might have a warm Xmas.

    For the Battle, I am going to choose Lauren White's version as I love the instrumentation and her voice. These kind of slow and dark jazz songs are my cup of tea!

    https://ailovemusic.net/a-battle-of-thanks-battle-of-the-songs/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, sounds like our weather is similar right now.

      A vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. I liked Lauren White's version more. Her voice is amazing.

    As much as I hate snow, I'd love to experience, at least once, being snowed in on a little farmstead in a remote place like rural Minnesota or the Far North. It might be bone-chillingly cold outside, but inside would be nice and cozy, no need to brave the storms for extra food and supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I'd be okay with being snowed in under the right circumstances. I wouldn't want to be uncomfortable.

      A vote for Lauren White.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee