This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chronicle Books Give-Away



        My thanks to Kelly at Book Dirt for calling my attention to the Chronicle Books Give-Away.  The prize is $500 worth of books for the winner and one of the commenters on the winner's blog post will also receive those same books--how cool is that?  

        Not only will those prizes be awarded, but the winner will also be able to pick a favorite charity that will be able to pick out its own $500 worth of books.  Do I have your attention yet?  Maybe I should be keeping this a secret so there will be less entries and my odds will increase, but I guess I love my readers too much not to let you in on this great contest.

        For my charity I'm going to choose the same one as Kelly did--Prospect Elementary School in Blount County, Tennessee--since I don't know of any other particular place and it's in my home town, I'll support that small library as well.

Here are my book choices:
Volume


Volume

Writings on Graphic Design, Music, Art, and Culture 
Princeton Architectural Press
By Kenneth FitzGerald    ($24.95)


This sounds like writing about a topic that interests me.




Survival CitySurvival City

Adventures Among the Ruins of Atomic America
By Tom Vanderbilt  ($25.00)
This is the era during which I grew up.  It scared me and fascinated me.  I love this kind of stuff.







Absinthe

Absinthe

History in a Bottle
By Barnaby Conrad III  ($22.95)

After seeing the Jack the Ripper movie From Hell, I became curious about this substance.  Now to learn more.




Ghostly Ruins


Ghostly Ruins

America's Forgotten Architecture 
Princeton Architectural Press
By Harry Skrdla  ($29.95)
Ruins are so cool.   I love looking at them.  Sitting home at looking at the photos in a book would be the next best thing to being there (at least until they come up with the DVD documentary version--now that would be cool.)




I Was Here

I Was Here

A Travel Journal for the Curious Minded
By Kate Pocrass   ($16.95)

This might me fun to play with in my future travel adventures.






Ready, Set, Novel!

Ready, Set, Novel!

A Workbook, Plan and Plot Your Upcoming Masterpiece
By Chris Baty, Lindsey Grant, and Tavia Stewart-Streit of National Novel Writing Month ($16.95)

Another thing to add to my collection of writer's resource material.


Grady McFerrin Photo AlbumGrady McFerrin Photo Album    $18.95





I've got a bunch of loose photos that should be put in an album.








The Autobiography Box


The Autobiography Box

A Step-by-Step Kit for Examining the Life Worth Living
By Brian Bouldrey  ($19.95)

Something that might go hand in hand with my new Wrote By Rote blog.



Cartes Postales

Cartes Postales

small edition  ($18.95)


I've got an old post card collection.  Maybe I can take some of them out of the shoe box they are in now and put them in an album.



Participate


Participate

Designing with User-Generated Content
By Helen Armstrong and Zvezdana Stojmirovic, foreword by Ellen Lupton ($24.95)

Maybe I can learn something from this and if not I'll pass it over to my daughter who might be able to use it.




Visual Merchandising 2nd edition

Visual Merchandising 2nd edition

By Tony Morgan ($40.00)

This topic interests me for various reasons.  It's another book that perhaps I can learn from.






Cut & PasteCut & Paste

21st-Century Collage
By Richard Brereton with Caroline Roberts  ($29.95)

This one might be helpful to create experimental stuff for the blogs.  If not my daughter might be able to use it as a resource material in her work as a collage artist.



Visual Complexity


Visual Complexity

Mapping Patterns of Information 
Princeton Architectural Press
By Manuel Lima  ($50.00)
Patterns...I'm interested and curious.  Let me see how this book can expand my mind.




Geometry of Design, Second Edition, Revised and Updated


Geometry of Design, Second Edition, Revised and Updated

Studies in Proportion and Composition
By Kimberly Elam  ($24.95)

You might get the impression that I've got some artistic bent after some of the books I've picked.  It's just a topic that's been on my mind of late.  This book's description sounds intriguing.


Graphic Design Thinking


Graphic Design Thinking

Beyond Brainstorming
By Ellen Lupton, editor    ($24.95)
This could have greater application than just visual arts.  I'm willing to check it out.





Art Work

Seeing Inside the Creative Process
By Ivan Vartanian  ($24.95)


The description says this book covers all types of creative processes.  I want to be a creative person.




The Toaster Project


The Toaster Project

Or A Heroic Attempt to Build a Simple Electric Appliance from Scratch
By Thomas Thwaites ($19.95)

This sounds like something I'd think of but would be too dumb to actually do.  Here I can read about someone else doing it.



CircusCircus

Over 50 flaps plus seek-and-find!
By Roxie Munro  ($15.95)


There's gotta be a juggler in this somewhere and I like the circus anyway.  This might be fun to share with my grandkids.





Moleskine® Address Book Pocket Moleskine® Address Book Pocket

($12.95)


The address book I have now is about 35 years old, falling apart, and filled with defunct information.  I need a new one.


Starry Crown Eco-JournalStarry Crown Eco-Journal

By Grady McFerrin  ($10.95)


This looks nice and if I don't use it I can give it as a gift.








DIYDesign It Yourself

DIYDesign It Yourself

A Design Brief 
Princeton Architectural Press
By Ellen Lupton  ($24.95)

I'm thinking a lot about design lately--in case that point didn't come across in some of the above picks.





That's my line up and I think they sound pretty good.
Grand Total $499.10   Close enough for me.  Chronicle can keep the change.

If you want to play along then follow the link below:
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/happyhaulidays

       Do you see anything here that you especially like?   Have you read or seen any of these?    Let me know if you add your own blog entry to the list so I can come and leave a comment.



.
Enhanced by Zemanta

41 comments:

  1. This do look exciting to take part in will think it over as I have much to do at the moment.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like some interesting choices..especially the Ghostly Ruins. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a book giveaway too, today, Lee, over at my place, so be sure to put on your tie (or the blanket in your case) and drop over :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting mix of books. But having money go to a charity as well as the winner is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee .. great collection of goodies there .. I liked the idea of the Cartes Postales - but particularly the donations to charity .. good idea.

    Happy Thanks giving .. and enjoy the time with family and friends .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo. US residents only. You guys have all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yvonne -- You've got a lot going on.

    Delores -- I could look at pictures of ghostly ruins for hours.

    Dezmond -- I saw the announcement yesterday. I'll stop by.

    Alex -- Always nice to give to charities.

    Hilary -- I may have to revive my post card collecting again.

    Jen --Oh, I was wondering about that. If I win I'll give you some book reports.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. These all sound awesome books to me man, I'd love to get my hands on some! Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only do we have some of the same picks, but some of your picks were my runners-up!

    If I don't win my own list, maybe I can win yours.

    I have a thing for ruins, too, which ties in to my interest in all things post-apocalyptic (I run the Facebook page 'Fans of Post-Apocalyptic Fiction and Film.' I post a lot of photos of ruins there, if anyone wants to 'Like' it. *Shameless plug.*)

    Thanks so much for choosing Prospect, too. I know the librarian would be thrilled to win. Their shelves are 99% empty, which is a tragedy.

    Good luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool is this ?! Thanks for sharing!

    Oh, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great contest! I am going to have to check this out - when I'm done with Nano, probably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see who wins this year. Great list and good luck!
    langleylove@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Matthew -- I'm always up for new books.

    Kelly -- Hope one of us wins. I clicked the "like" on the facebook page. I didn't know you were into that kind of stuff. Post-apocalypticism and time travel are my favorite genres.

    Word Nerd --Very cool! You have a great Thanksgiving as well.

    Madeline -- It ends Dec 2. Don't wait too long.

    Cricket -- Thank you for checking out the list.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our lists may be totally different, but I still like all of your choices! I wish you luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our lists are quite different but that Ghostly Ruins book sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog Sensual Sweets (http://sensualsweets.wordpress.com) and saying hi!

    I am glad you linked me back to yours =D I love your book list. Seeing as I have been trying like mad to invoke some kind of artist in me, these books would probably help! haha

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great collection of books there. I am having a really hard time retaining what I read. I have to keep re- reading few pages whenever I stop and start again.
    I hope people who can read faster will make use of those books.
    Have a happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is an interesting list! best of luck to both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie -- Thank you! There are a lot of different tastes showing up in these lists.

    Erica -- Ghostly Ruins would be such fun to peruse.

    Ink-- I'm no artist, but the books looked like they could be inspiring.

    Munir -- I have the same retention problem--always have in fact.

    Connie -- Yes. Good luck to everyone.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an interesting selection! I'd be happy to read any of these, particularly the ones on design. Thanks for coming by my blog Best of luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great list! I've heard about that toaster book. It sounds pretty interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lee, You did get my attention! I love your list~ I might have to add a few of these to my Christmas wish list. I love that you are giving back to where you are from. I hope you win, if I don't ;D

    ReplyDelete
  23. 'Visual Complexity' looks quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful-- I have this thing about design even though I'm not particularly good with visual arts.

    Joanne -- I couldn't resist that toaster from scratch concept.

    Deborah -- Thanks for stopping by!

    Ella -- It would be nice to win these books wouldn't it.

    Suze -- Sometimes I just need to make sense out of everything I see around me.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've really put some thought into your list. I thank you for that..should we win (she says with a wink ;D )

    good luck to both of us!

    jcamp2020 at aol

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think your list might be one of my favorites after mine! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jcamp -- Thanks for casting your spell of good luck on my entry. My fingers are crossed.

    MC -- I kind of like my list too. I'd love to own these books.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  28. You've got some very interesting picks here. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The graphic design book looks neat, good luck! My list is nowhere near as varied.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the tip. Have a great American Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LD -- Appreciate it!

    HSW -- I strive for eclecticism.

    Umbrella-- Thanks!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cool. I somehow missed the book on Ruins. hmmm, maybe they'll let me swap one if i win? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  33. An interesting mix of books. And quite different from mine!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Posted my list today! :) Good luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for visiting my blog. You have a great list too. Ghostly Ruins sounds neat.

    Best of luck.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a great list of books! Good luck and thanks for visiting my site!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Melanie -- When I saw the Ruins book on Kelly's "Book Dirt" blog I knew that was one for me too.

    Leslie -- From what I've seen I have a pretty different list from most.

    Kristy-- I'll have to check your list out.

    Cheryl -- Thanks for visiting.

    Mommy -- Gladly and thank you.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think I need some of these books, so I can become more crafty or at least more competent at graphic design for my own blog. Good luck with the contest!

    Leslie
    Working for the Mandroid

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absinthe looks amazing. I would love to read almost all your books if I had the time (and money) immediately good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great choices, I'd definitely find Absinthe interesting, and the design books--- great pile to win!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee