This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Do You Attend Blogging Events?

I have a contest give away that I'll talk about at the end of this post.

Blogging Conferences, Expos, and Other Media Events

        Somewhere in the past I have heard mention of BlogWorld, but I had no real awareness of what this was about.  Then, about a week ago, I heard that BlogWorld and New Media Expo 2011 was going to be held in Los Angeles in November 3-5 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.  I got online and began doing some research.

         This sounds like the kind of event I've been hoping to find.   This is what an official press release from the event has to say:       



- BlogWorld & New Media Expo, the world's largest social media conference and new media industry tradeshow, will move its western U.S. event to the Los Angeles Convention Center this November 3 – 5. BlogWorld has been held in Las Vegas for the past five years.


(Logo: credit)
 BlogWorld West will host more than 4,000 attendees, 200 sponsoring companies, 100 educational sessions and 200 speakers. Additionally, BlogWorld's eastern U.S. event took place in New York City at the Jacob Javits Convention Center,May 24-26, 2011.
BlogWorld is a one of a kind show that attracts the most popular and knowledgeable bloggers, podcasters, Internet radio and TV broadcasters, as well as the most influential Facebook and Twitter celebrities and social media professionals.
"New media and traditional media are converging. Los Angeles is the home of the film, television and music industries and also has the single largest population of bloggers and digital content creators in the country. That puts L.A. at the center of the convergence of new and traditional media making it the obvious choice for us," explained Rick Calvert, CEO and co-founder of BlogWorld.The BlogWorld conference offers sessions designed to help bloggers, podcasters and other digital content creators learn how to better create, distribute and monetize their content and covers the latest trends in online journalism, social media, online communities, Internet broadcasting, video streaming and much more.
An important feature of BlogWorld is the Social Media Business Summit, the world's largest social media business conference. This exclusive three-day event offers educational sessions designed to teach marketing and PR executives as well as business owners the most effective ways to utilize social networking tools like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogs, YouTube and more in their sales, marketing, customer service, PR, and enterprise activities.
The New Media Expo exhibit floor consists of a wide range of companies serving the new media marketplace, including social media software, blogging platforms, advertising networks, social media monitoring services, recording devices, live streaming equipment and software, video and podcast hosting services, mobile devices, social media consulting services, search engine marketing and more.

       
           Check out the official BlogWorld website and see for yourself.  After exploring the website and doing some additional research I decided that I should scout out this event to see what it's all about.  Yes, I'm going to BlogWorld!


           My first visit will be a reconnaissance mission in order to get an idea of what happens at an event like this.   BlogWorld sounds like a kind of crash course in blogging and a bit more--kind of like a college of blog and media expertise.  Then perhaps I might consider attending the full scale future events.  This time around I'll be only on the trade show floor to check out who is there and what they do.   Unfortunately I may not be able  attend any of the seminars and panel discussions, but from the sound of things I should have two packed days of getting to know the event and meet some big names in blogging.


And now a contest!


          Thanks to Dave Cynkin, the president and co-founder of BlogWorld, I have one Expo Pass to give away on my blog.  The Expo Pass includes the following:



  • Access to exhibits during open hours
  • Access to main event Keynote sessions (not Track Keynotes, those require a conference pass)
  • Access to Saturday Networking Reception on Exhibit Floor
  • Access to Official Evening Networking Parties & Mixers too!
  • Includes PodCamp
       In order to be eligible for the contest you would first have to be able to attend.  If you live in the Southern California area or know for certain that you could be here in Los Angeles during November 4-5, then you are eligible.  You will be responsible for any costs associated with attending, such as accommodations, travel, parking, etc.   Please don't register if you do not meet these eligibility requirements as you may be preventing someone else from attending who would really like to go.

       If you are eligible and would like to submit your entry then send me an email telling why you would like to attend BlogWorld, what you want to get out of the experience, and one primary thing you would most like to learn.  My email address is jacksonlee51@aol.com (the same address that can be found on my profile).  I will announce the winner next Monday 10/10/11.

        Is anyone already planning to attend this BlogWorld event in Los Angeles?   Have you attended any of the previous BlogWorld events?   Are there any other blogging events that you have attended?   If so, tell us about your experience.








.

37 comments:

  1. I've never been to a blogging event before, mainly because I live in Northern Ireland and it's a very American thing to hold blogging events but I would love to. It's a real shame I don't live in California, obviously because of how awesome a place it is to live in general as well as the fact I'm not eligible for this competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let us know how it goes. I have never been to one, but it sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be very interested to read about your experience, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I can't swim the "Big Pond" I won't be able to attend but it sounds a great event so will have to wait until you report about it,
    Hope you have a great time.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first I've heard of BlogWorld. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time I've heard of it! And sorry, wrong side of the country to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd rather attend a general writing conference than one specifically for blogging, but I do like conferences. (I met my husband at a conference on Jack the Ripper!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of this. I'll look forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time at BlogWorld, Lee! I've heard a lot about it lately, so I'll be looking forward to your report. I can't enter the contest, but thanks for arranging that for your readers. You'll be able to meet many bloggers and learn even more about blogging--- sounds like it will be a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeamie-- California has some awesome weather and geographical features. Now if only something could be done about some of the people that are here.

    Miranda - I'm looking forward to what will be a new experience for me as well.

    Suze -- I'll be taking notes.

    Yvonne -- At least if I don't have a good time I'll be close to home and can leave easily.

    Bish -- BlogWorld is not something I've ever heard mentioned by any of the bloggers I normally read. If I hadn't heard about it in the local media I would have probably never heard about it.

    Alex -- Maybe after I do my report more of our blogger friends will be interested in the next one. I think the next New York event will be next May.

    Kelly -- I've never been to a conference though I've been to plenty of trade shows, which are interesting events where much can be learned about an industry. Jack the Ripper? Had no idea there would be a conference on that topic.

    L.G. --Report forthcoming in early November.

    Artistry -- It should be a mind-expanding experience. I have a feeling that I'll have only a few entrants due to where it is.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does consumed by jealousy for all the peeps who went to RWA, BlogHer, and other events count as a good reason to go?

    I've recently connected in person with other bloggers, and found while it's great to make connections online, there's so much more that can be learned face to face. Conversations spark new ideas that simply don't evolve in time-elapsed, e-mail or blog exchanges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man...wish i was on the west coast...or had a private jet...or knew i could get away with hiding in someones luggage...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a great opportunity! I look forward to your post in November! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting. I won't be anywhere near LA so I won't be entering - but I wish everyone else luck! Sounds like a fun experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beverly -- It's the best reason so far. You are now the first entrant in my contest. Good luck!

    Brian -- The West Coast has a lot to offer!

    Rebecca -- Thank you for stopping by.

    Julie -- I hope I have lots of good info to report in November.

    Jemi -- I think it should be very interesting if not also fun.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  16. if i hit the lottery this weekend i'm so there any excuse to visit Ca is a good one

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard of BlogWorld but I have heard of other blogging events. Haven't personally attending one though but I'm sure you're bound to discover some insightful information. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. read this blog is very interesting :P
    great post

    ReplyDelete
  19. BlogWorld sounds great. It's a shame I'm too far away (in Australia)to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, this is a new one to me. I think of blogging as purely on-line, never knew there was an actual blogging event. You'll have to tell us all about it. (I'm also on the wrong side of the country from LA.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. becca -- There is a lot to do here--a great vacation destination.

    Wanda -- An event such as this is certain to be a great education opportunity.

    Damon -- Thanks for the insightful comment.

    Lynda -- Yes, you would have a bit of a trip to come here.

    LD -- I will try to keep careful notes and give an in depth report on the event.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't go, but I'm excited to hear about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Lee,

    What a great prize. I wished I lived in Souther California... This sounds like an AMAZING event. I am so jealous I can't attend.

    Nothing that great happens in Chicago. Everything seems to happen in NYC or LA. BUMMER.

    HAVE a great time Lee! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish you luck with the wonderful enjoyment that this even promises to have. Learn lots, experience much and then come back and tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait to hear what actually happens at blog events. You can be our undercover spy. :) Wait, spies are undercover anyway, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mariah -- I hope it's a good experience.

    Michael -- I'm sure plenty happens in Chicago. I was thinking the same thing about L.A., but I think I just don't hear about a lot of it.

    Jason -- There should be many learning opportunities available. I hope I can assimilate some of them.

    Talli -- I hope I'm not too undercover. I'd like to get to know some people here and have them become familiar with what I do.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lee .. sounds like an excellent opportunity for someone else through your offer .. what a great chance ..

    Looking forward to getting your feed back .. and all the info you garner ..

    Cheers and I definitely can't enter - I can't swim there in a month! Have fun .. what a wonderful thing to look forward to .. exciting - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I'm so jealous. What a great event. I can't attend so don't enter me, but I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds very high-powered. I hope you enjoy it and get lots of ideas and encouragement and coverage . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, that sounds cool. I expect details. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hilary -- I do hope someone is able to take advantage of the prize. I do think it will be a great opportunity for those of us interested in blogging.

    Ciara -- I will be having at least one post about the event and probably more.

    Janice -- I think a lot of those in attendance will be a lot more experienced than I where it comes to blogging, which means good potential learning experience for me.

    Lexsa-- Thanks!

    Southpaw -- I hope I gather a lot of good details to share.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, Blog World, who knew? Sounds intriguing, I'll have to check my dance card for those dates.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like an interesting and fun event - certainly great for networking! Looking forward to hearing your report.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Drat. hopefully they'll have one of these in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks like an interesting event. The "content creation" track seems like it has the most topics that are of interest to me. Looking forward to your report. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee