This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, November 21, 2014

BOTB Results: Watertown


      I'll be keeping today's post brief as I am still dealing with my mother's illness.   As indicated on my previous post, I'll be blogging sporadically until further notice.

  Battle of the Bands results:

       In my latest round of Battle of the Bands I offered Frank Sinatra's version of "What's Now Is Now" against the version of the same song as done by the group Cake.   The song comes from Sinatra's little known album Watertown.

       As I had indicated in my posts in regard to the BOTB, I have a longstanding appreciation of Sinatra as an artist and Watertown is among my all time favorite albums.  I think Sinatra does a tremendous job with my song choice.  For these reasons you might expect my preferred version to be the one by Sinatra.  However upon hearing Cake's version I was impacted by how much they demonstrated the rock nature of this song.   They pull it off with a convincing sincerity.   I especially like the guitar work in their presentation.   Simple, steady, and altogether pleasing to my ears.

        I was surprised to find that I was not alone in my preference for the Cake version.  Sinatra still squeaked by with a win.,

Final tally:

Cake      14

Sinatra   15

Thanks to all for your votes.  Next Battle of the Bands post will appear December 1st.

11 comments:

  1. LEE ~
    Your vote surprised me.

    I hope you're feeling the prayer vibrations there.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to pray for your mother.
    And that was one close vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised by the outcome AND your vote.

    Still sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, Lee.

    Ol' Blue Eyes is STILL The Chairman Of The Board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a close vote. My very best wishes to your mother, and you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed cake too(more ways than one). This is never an easy time and my heart goes out to you and your family. If you can find moments, here and there, to charge your batteries, I hope you do. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping your family and your mother in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping and praying everything is going well with you and your family!!!

    I am surprised that Cake got so many votes! I really liked their version, but I figured I would be one of the few to vote for them and most people would easily vote for Sinatra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you strength and fortitude Lee in this time ...all best to you all

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for your mother and family.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realize it would be such a close race.
    Lee, I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers to your mom. Take care of yourself too.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee