This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Dirty Dozen Movies Blogfest

      
           Movies are one of my passions, although I don't watch nearly as many as I did when I was younger.  After over fifty years of watching film there are a lot of movies that I have seen.  I have decided to include on my list only movies that are over twenty years old.  Tomorrow, Tuesday, I will give my dirty dozen for the past twenty years. Then on Wednesday I will be looking at show biz and musical movies.  I will offer a debate question regarding movies on Thursday.  And on Friday I will look at some of my favorite horror and other dark movies.  But today I am listing twelve movies that have had a big impact on me and the way I view films.

Arlee Bird's Dirty Dozen Favorite Films:


The Wizard of Oz (1939)-- I had already seen many films by the time I saw this film for the first time when it came on television in 1959.  The movie amazed me and it was all the talk of the kids at school the next day.   I had watched it on a 21 inch black and white television and this is the way I viewed it for many years.  It was an even greater revelation when I saw it in color.  The film is a classic which most of us have seen many times.  Oz never fails to entertain me or move me in the end.  It is a magical road trip movie filled with wonderful music and memorable characters.  I'm sure I'll be watching it again one day with my grandchildren.




Apocalypse Now (1979)--Like Oz this film is a magic road trip, but of a different sort.  Based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, Apocalypse Now is a psychedelic surrealistic journey into madness.  Though the setting is Viet Nam, this is not really a movie about the Viet Nam war, which is something that I think confuses people.  The movie is more like a bad dream version of something that happened in Viet Nam, but we know it really didn't.  The key to viewing this film is not to watch it as a traditional war movie, but a road movie that explores philosophies about war and the bad side of humanity.  This is an unsettling movie that has a mystery and magic that will leave you pondering as long as you are not expecting heroic war action and patriotic flag waving--that is not the intent of this film.


Kiss Me Deadly (1955)--One of the best film noirs ever, this film was the inspiration for Pulp Fiction, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lost Highway, and many other films.
A product of the age of atomic war paranoia, this film starts out like a typical mystery.  The main character is hard-boiled, amoral detective Mike Hammer.  On a deserted highway at night, he nearly runs down a hysterical woman who has just escaped from a mental hospital.  Later, the woman is killed and Hammer left for dead by mysterious men.   Hammer spends the rest of the film trying to figure out why the woman was killed and what it was the men were after.  He imagines what the men are looking for is something very valuable, but doesn't begin to understand the horror of what it is.  This is great 50s scare stuff.


Night of the Living Dead (1968)--The low budget filming is what really helps make this movie scary. Director George Romero showed his absolute genius of taking few resources to make one of the scariest movies ever. Sequels and remakes were made with more money and better technology, but none approaches the crude simplicity of what was achieved in this film.  The story of an incongruous assortment of people held under siege in an old farmhouse by flesh-eating zombies is tense and horrific.  Probably filmed in black and white for budgetary reasons, but this is part of what makes this film so scary.




On the Beach (1959)--During the 50s and 60s the atomic age and post-bomb era inspired many films.  This was and still is a popular film genre for me.  Directed by Stanley Kramer, On The Beach is a wonderful dramatic film starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, Anthony Perkins, and a fine cast of supporting actors.  The story takes place after an atomic war which has killed everyone except those in Australia, which is soon to face the poison of the radioactive contamination.  There is not much on special effects here, but the dramatic tension and ominous knowledge of what is coming is poignant and frightening.  I first saw this film with my parents when I was about nine years old.  I loved the film then, though I didn't totally understand everything, and I can appreciate it even more now.



Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)--I was ten years old when I saw this movie for the first time in 1961 and it scared the bejeebies out of me and I loved it.  Filmed in a black and white film noire style, this movie is about a small town in California where people are being taken over by alien forms.  The film has been remade three more times, with the 1993 version being probably the best and most unique of the remakes.  But none of the remakes comes close to topping the original.


The Jolson Story (1946)--I first saw this on TV when I was about ten years old.  From the first time I saw this movie I fell in love with it and like it even more now.  This is purportedly the story of the life of Al Jolson, the famous singer of the first half of the twentieth century, and depicts his rise from vaudeville to Broadway to Hollywood.  Larry Parks is the actor who does an extraordinary job of portraying an extremely optimistic and likeable Jolson.  The actual vocals on the soundtrack were done by Jolson himself.  A few years ago I began researching Jolson's life and found that the movie really changed a lot about the true story, but that's Hollywood I guess and The Jolson Story is still a fine film.



Roma (1972) -- I had often heard my parents talk about the film La Strada   Directed by Federico Fellini.   I even recall when the film 8 1/2 came out in the theaters when I was young.  I was very curious about Fellini.  Then when I was in college Roma was released.  This was not a film I could get any of my friends to go to see so I went alone.  I was more impressed than what I had expected.  At the time I was involved with recording my dreams in a dream journal.  I was fascinated by surrealism and dreams and wished I could film my dreams.  Then I saw Roma and realized Fellini was doing just that with his dreams.  This remains one of my big time favorite movies.  My wife dislikes it intensely and few I know have shared my feelings for this film.  It has little in the way of a story line.  It is a sort of a documentary about Rome, but it is a surrealistic documentary.  It is a wonderfully weird film.  I will be watching it again soon along with many other Fellini films. 

The Day of the Locust (1975)--It almost sounds like a science fiction film from the 50s, but actually it is a film about Hollywood in the 1930s.  The film follows a group of characters in the 1930s trying to make it in the movie industry.  It is a film about self degradation and humiliation and the ultimate futility of the lifestyle promised by Hollywood success.  A friend and I took our wives to see this movie in 1977 and they got so pissed off at us because of the shocking scene of violence in the end of the film the culminates in utter surrealistic madness.  I think they were overreacting a bit--I understand what it was that upset them and I won't reveal it here and give away the ending--but the film makes a pretty powerful statement in my opinion.



Mad Max 2:  The Road Warrior (1981)--This may sound a bit outrageous, but the first time I saw this film was when it came on a premium movie channel on TV and my heart started beating so fast that my wife had to take me to the emergency room and I couldn't finish watching the movie at that time.  I don't know if there was some other factor that caused my anxiety, but it makes for a good story.  I have watched this film several times since and to me it's like a really good roller coaster.  I really like the post-apocalyptic landscape and story idea.  This is a world where petroleum is the most valuable commodity and gangs are terrorizing the roads to steal gasoline.  Mel Gibson is great as "Mad Max, the Road Warrior".  There is plenty of intense fast-paced action in this film.




Repulsion (1965)-- Directed by Roman Polanski, this is the story of a mentally disturbed young woman who begins to sink even deeper when she is left alone in the apartment she shares with her sister. In her delusional state she hallucinates, but also experiences actual traumatic events until we don't know what is real and what is not.  This is another black and white film that would not be as good if it were in color.  The ending would rank as one of my favorite film endings.






Carousel (1956)--A Rogers and Hammerstein musical with a theme about domestic violence that might be considered somewhat controversial these days is nonetheless a beautiful portrayal of love, understanding, and forgiveness.  The dance numbers are wonderfully choreographed and the music is exquisite.  Shirley Jones and Gordon McCrae are perfect in the lead roles.  One of the best musicals ever.





My thanks to Alex J. Cavenaugh for hosting this event.  This has been great fun and a source of inspiration for several extra blog articles for me.  Make sure you check the other participants in the blogfest.  They can be found in the Linky list below this post.  And be sure you join us for the 10 Best Love Songs and 10 Best Break Up Songs Blogfest next Monday June 28.   A Linky list will appear on this site tomorrow.


 


33 comments:

  1. A brilliant list. Good call on The Wizard of Oz, not many people can say that they haven't been affected by it in some way. I haven't heard of many of the movies you've listed, or I've heard of them but have never seen them. Thanks for giving me some extra movie to feast on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen quite a few of yours, obviously Carousel and of course The Wizard Of Oz. good selection.

    Have a good day,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A variety of movies there, Arlee. The Road Warrior is a classic - difficult to match that final chase scene. All three of the Body Snatchers movies have been unique, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. A lot of these movies I've never heard of. I am gonna have to check out on the beach. Gegoroy Peck was a awesome actor-and cute too! :) I also enjoy the Wizard of Oz and Carousel. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wizard of Oz is the only one I know, not sure if I had seen the particular movie.

    You are quite a movie buff, with varied taste just like your music selection. I would be interested to know what you like in a more recent time, like in the 80s :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Wizard of Oz. It reminds me of when I was little.
    Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We both have Apocolypse Now on our list, although I posted mine on Alex's comment section. Guess I'mm a little slow and didn't figure out I'm to post on my blog. Sigh. Have a great week.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee, you must like a good horror flick, then! Road Warrior just missed my cut. Love the Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you've got some fun ones! Wizard of Oz and Road Warrior fall on my list of classic favorites, even if they didn't make my top 12.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lots of old classics there, many I haven't seen yet...might have to rethink that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Night of the Living Dead. I'm going to have to watch that one again. I haven't seen it in ages!

    Good picks!

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen Repulsion. That sound pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can honestly say that I've never seen any of the movies listed....and I thought I was a well rounded movie watcher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit I haven't seen most of these movies, Arlee, but I do appreciate the profound message of APOCALYPSE NOW, and find MAD MAX movies quite entertaining.
    And there are some fresh news on a new movie based on THE WIZARD OF OZ over at my blog today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to all comments so far!
    A few personally directed notes:

    Carol-- If you are a fan of Gregory Peck then you really must check out On The Beach

    Ocean Girl-- I will be giving my list for more recent films tomorrow.

    Stephen T-- I will comment on your list when you post it on your site. You had some good picks.

    Southpaw -- If you like psychological paranoid thrillers Repulsion is a good one.

    Jennee -- Please do say you've never seen The Wizard of Oz!!! You would have had a deprived childhood.

    Dezmond--I will check out the WIZARD OF OZ news on your site. It read something the other day about something like this but I forget what it was. I guess a lot of the films I listed are older for most modern film buffs but they are considered classics by many and are worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW wizard of oz I would never think of you and that... but I love that you did... I should have... I love how all your music went with the theme... how fun... Great movie picks... some I have never seen and may check out on netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, great list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful list and I love your player that has music from the movies! I'm leaving this up as I'm at work and I'm enjoying all this music you've left for us... thanks for posting, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list becasue it gives me some other movies to consider. The only one on your list that I have seen was, of course, The Wizzard of Oz.

    It was family tradition as kids at home to watch it every year. It was amazing to me the first time I saw it in color.

    I will have to check out some of the movies on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oooh Invasion of the Body snatchers. So creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. R-LEE-B ~
    Well, I sure as heck can't argue against "The Wizard Of Oz" - a true classic.

    I'm no fan of the Action, Horror, or Sci-Fi genres, so there are some here that didn't do much for me personally (e.g., "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", "Road Warrior"). And as I know I've mentioned before, I never did like "Apocalypse Now".

    However, a couple of the movies on your list I have in my NetFlix queue because of your having mentioned them in previous Blog Bits. And I think I may add "Apocalypse Now", just to see if my opinion of it has changed any over the decades. Only saw it once, and that was during its original theatrical release.

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McD-Fens

    ReplyDelete
  22. More thanks and glad that some of you enjoyed the music.

    STMc -- If you watch Apocalypse Now again remember: don't watch it as a war movie or Viet Nam movie. It's not intended as history, but more of a journey like the journey to the Emerald City. And I was thinking you liked film noir-- Kiss Me Deadly is one of the best of that genre and the location footage of L.A. is really cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Wizard of Oz too. I also loved Invasion of the Body Snatchers - but I haven't seen it in years! I'll have to look it up again :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A wonderfully eclectic list! Looking forward to seeing your other selections this week. I love "Wizard of Oz" and "On the Beach" was a riveting film.

    ReplyDelete
  25. R-LEE-B ~
    Yeah, I do like film noir pretty well (it ain't Action, Horror, or Sci-Fi, right?)

    And "Kiss Me Deadly" is one that I haven't seen but put in my NetFlix queue just because you had praised it once before, some time ago. It's in my queue, just haven't gotten to it yet... but will.

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McD-Fens

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting to see your list! Am going to have to check some of these out. Thanks for sharing.
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's quite an eclectic list, from "Oklahoma" to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". I've seen most of the movies on your list, and loved them all. "On the Beach" is one of my favorite films, and I enjoyed the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carousel is one of my absolute favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  29. More thanks to the additional comments.

    Stmc -- Let me know what you think about Kiss Me Deadly when you watch. I watched it again last week and it was better than I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  30. ...hopped over from Christine's blog.

    You're an obvious fan of the classics...every list should include Oz and Max as far as I'm concerned:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Apocolypse Now, a BRILLIANT movie. I also studied this at uni, but I think it was over analysed and it eventually lost it's beauty. I'd prob feel differently if I watched it again now though. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Elliot -- Thanks for your visit. Yes, I'm big on the classics. Some of today's movies may one day be classics and I'll probably love them as well if I'm still around.

    Jessica-- Sometime over-analysis can certainly take away from one's enjoyment of a film, but on the other hand sometimes it's fun to hear theories of interpretations, back stories, and such. That is what made me go back to and eventually savor Pulp Fiction because when I first saw it I disliked it intensely.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Interesting picks on the pics! I have only seen 4 of your offerings here but will certainly be checking some more out based on your descriptions and reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee