This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Writers and Writing ( #IWSG & #BOTB )

         Time to write that novel you've been thinking about for--what, years?  decades?--well, if you've been dreaming about such things.  I have.  Still am.  What am I doing about it?  Writing a blog post...

The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog
     The co-hosts for the November 2 posting of the IWSG are Diedre Knight, Douglas Thomas Greening, Nick Wilford, and Diane Burton!



November 2 question - November is National Novel Writing Month. Have you ever participated? If not, why not?


    Years ago I participated for two years in a row.  I was doing a lot more writing activity back then.  Now I've got excuses not to write.  Actual excuses.  Sometimes.  And this November especially I have some real life things going on that are likely to be keeping me busy until the end of the year.

     I'll hopefully be writing again soon, but this year no Nano for me.

      But since it doesn't take much of my time I will do this...

Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Sing a Song of Writing

       Here's a couple of contrasting views of writing for you to think about as you ponder your own writerly dreams of a career of sorts as a writer.  Take a moment to listen to each and then vote on your favorite in the comment section. 

        

Lloyd Cole   "Writer's Retreat!"   (2010)

 



Donovan  "Writer in the Sun"   (1966)

 




Time to Vote!

           Nano or No-no, you don't have to have writing aspirations to enjoy the music in this song Battle.  Just listen and appreciate.  Which song do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 

Streampebbles (Diedre Knight)



Winner of this Battle Announced on Monday November 7 

              Make your vote count!  Come back on the 7th to see if your pick was the top favorite.  After that I'll probably be taking the rest of November off.  And not because I'm writing a novel.






38 comments:

  1. I'm afraid neither song appealed to me.
    I've participated in NaNo in the past but not this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, doesn't sound very musically open-minded.

      No vote to start things off.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Lee,

    I'll give you my two cents in this battle. That's about all it's worth anyhow. lol I really like the vibe of the first song and giving my vote to Lloyd Cole. He's new-to-me, so thanks for the introduction.

    I hope whatever has you preoccupied for the rest of the year is something good for your life. We surely have had our share of busyness this year. It's good to have that behind us. Now, I can reflect on the highlights from this year as I pulled together photo memories in my mid-week time slot.

    Thanks for sharing another battle round. I hope November is a good for you. I can't believe we're in the 11th month of 2022. Have a bandtastic week, my friend!

    Curious as a Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the rest of the year is filled with busy things that are essentially good though perhaps sometimes stressful. Nothing really bad on the horizon so far.

      First vote goes to Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. The holidays are a very busy time. I decided today to not do my mid-week posts after this month just to keep things from piling up too badly. See ya around the cyberblock, my friend!

      Delete
  3. The Donovan song is about 4:33 seconds too long, I am afraid. Lloyd Cole sing a predictable little ditty and is pleasant on the ears if you like that 12 string (or mandolin, or ???) kind of sound... which I do. He's gettin' the vote this time. I hope you are allowing poll watchers on this, or Donovan will pack the ballot boxes using Yellow Mules.
    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I love this Donovan song, but it has been with me since high school and I liked it then as well.

      Any song that's not somewhat predictable gets a bit too experimental for my taste. But predictable is a good way to describe Cole's tune.

      Another vote for Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Brilliant way to accomplish two goals, Lee! I'd never heard either song, so thanks for the introduction ;-) Donovan, however, did not impress me. I enjoyed Lloyd Cole's "Writer's Retreat" - the upbeat tempo took the sting out of lyrics that describe so well the tug-of-war life of a writer. A vote for Lloyd Cole, please!
    I do hope you are happily busy. Have a wonderful November ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I always try to combine BOTB & IWSG when it makes sense. Makes my work load more compact.

      I agree that Cole hit the nail on the head pretty much.

      A vote for Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. What can I say but I like Donovan's song..mYbe because he smoked doobie before singing but it just sounds nice, calm and ethereal so he gets my vote. I hVe never been part of Nanos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, looks like your vote arrived at the right time. Thank you.

      Finally, a vote for Donovan.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. LEE ~

    I don't recall having heard of Lloyd Cole before, but he immediately struck me (at least in this song) as having a kind of Tom Petty-like sound. This was a pretty good song.

    As I'm sure you likely recall, I've long-held the opinion that Donovan was just terribly overrated. I've never heard a single Donovan song that's come even remotely close to changing my mind, and 'Writer In The Sun' is no exception to that. What the heck was supposed to be so special about this guy? I'm completely mystified.

    McItchyfinger wrote: >>... "The Donovan song is about 4:33 seconds too long"

    Ha!-Ha! I couldn't have said it better, and wish I had said it first.

    Anyway, obviously, mine is a BOTB bote for LLOYD COLE (or Tom Petty's musical doppelganger?)

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, Tom Petty was not the first thing that came to mind when I heard Cole's song, but now that you mention it I can hear it. I was thinking more along the lines of countryish Americana rock like the Jayhawks or Uncle Tupelo or the like. I enjoy his sound whatever he sounds like.

      When I hear an opinion like yours about Donovan I am apt to think that you just probably don't like the style or you just haven't listened to the music closely enough. I like a lot of Donovan's music, but this song in particular is my favorite by him. I like the music and the lyrics. But that's me and you and I often have different tastes. Mine are also more eclectic I think.

      A vote for Lloyd Cole.

      lee

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. L.Diane, that sounds like a somewhat reluctant vote.

      That would be for Donovan

      Lee

      Delete
  8. What Stephen said. Lloyd Cole sounded a lot like Tom Petty, while Donovan's was about four and a half minutes too long. Another vote for Lloyd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, I don't get this Donovan aversion. I always enjoyed most of his music.

      A vote for Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. >>... "I don't get this Donovan aversion."

      "...you just haven't listened to the music closely enough."

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  9. Going in, I thought I would be voting for Donovan, but in the end, it's Lloyd Cole for me.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, it's that kind of day I guess.

      Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. A vote from my Cousin Tom on Facebook for...

    Lloyd Cole.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vote is for Lloyd Cole. I love Donovan, but this song didn't do it for me. Also, Writer Retreat's lyrics were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, whoever it is, cast a vote for...

      Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I write (unofficially) with NaNoWriMo. It's a discipline for me that I need.

    Teresa
    T. Powell Coltrin Writes @ https://journalingwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, Nano makes for a good discipline for those who can allot the time for it. Or force themselves to.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I always seem to have excuses, er you know, reasons, not to focus on writing. And an adjunct fear of failure, so no NaNoWriMo for me.

    As for the songs, of the two, the music behind the Lloyd Cole song worked for me, but I found the premise of the lyrics a little disturbing. The Donovan song just put me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I've spent a lifetime making excuses, not just for writing, but for a lot of things.

      The vote goes to Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. I couldn't see the second video, so it's a Lloyd Cole vote by default, but I did like it. The comments indicate I may not have missed much with Donovan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, I guess Donovan is just a matter of taste and his music apparently hasn't tasted too good to the ears of the majority of voters.

      A "vote by default" for Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Sound wise, Lloyd Cole gets my vote. Not so sure about those lyrics, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, the sound is most of the music.

      A vote for Lloyd Cole.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. My vote is for "Writer in the Sun" by Donovan. Never heard it before, but I love songs that sound like the acoustic blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damyanti, thank you for your vote for...

      Donovan.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Quite a while ago a friend tried to hook me on Lloyd Cole. It didn't take, and it still doesn't. He has placed himself above too many people and is too proud of that.

    I am also not a great fan of Donovan, but he always wants to bring people into his world, not turn them away, so I vote .

    It might just be a something about how close the election is. but it is pressing on me.

    I am attempting to write stuff to make the world better, one piece at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, if we can make the world a better place then I think our best mission has been fulfilled.

      Prior to this BOTB I was not familiar with Lloyd Cole though I feel like I've heard this song before.

      A vote for Donovan.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Donovan.

    Yeah, I had some real "excuses" the last few years when I barely committed myself to writing.
    I'm trying this year.

    "I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of." —Joss Whedon

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, If not for our excuses we might not have much more to show for ourselves.llll

      Another vote for Donovan.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee