This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Heavy Halloween ( #BOTB )

/
Okay, time to get dark.  And I don't mean darkness coming earlier in the evening as our days grow shorter--although it helps set the mood.  I mean more songs for Halloween.   Dark songs...



Battle of the Bands


        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

More Songs for a Halloween BOTB
 
          In my previous Battle the witches won in the guise of Jim Stafford's song "Swamp Witch".    In this Battle the witches return with werewolves and they go up against a powerful (and heavy) wizard.  Now, before you say it in your comment, I will admit that this music might not appeal to some of you--you might even hate it--but I hope you'll give it a chance.   

        So let the spell begin....     


The Troll    "Werewolf and Witchbreath"  (1968)

           This group was formed in Chicago in 1966 and released one rather eclectic album.  The strange music mix might be one reason the album didn't make a splash.  Or maybe the music was just too weird for some people.  I've got the vinyl album in my collection and I actually enjoy it quite a bit.  But most of you know by now that I enjoy some pretty strange stuff.   Here's some early heavy metal-or heavy something--to put you in a Halloween mood...


 


Black Sabbath   "The Wizard"  (1970)

       Unlike the previous group, Black Sabbath is likely a familiar name to most of you.  They are often considered to be pioneers of the Heavy Metal genre.  I listened to their albums frequently in my younger days.  You know how we crazy kids can be.  






Time to Vote!

         Now c'mon!  It ain't that bad.  Just give the songs a chance.    Which scary song do you prefer?  
 Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 

Streampebbles (Diedre Knight)



Winner of this Battle Announced on Saturday October 22
 
        Maybe I'll have enough votes to make for an interesting Battle.   No matter what though, I'm getting a kick out of listening to these old tunes.  Ah, the memories.

        Do you have any musical memories associated with Halloween?  What kind of music makes you think of autumn?   Have you checked out the price of Halloween candy this year?  (Now that's scary!)
















27 comments:

  1. That will be a tough competition. The first song sounds a lot like another song from the time that I just can't think of the title right now. Not a Black Sabbath fan although I know most of their music. It's close but I'll go with the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, actually hear snippets that sound like other songs. There's a lot going on in the Troll song.

      A starting vote for Troll.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Here's something I could never imagine myself typing:

    I vote for Black Sabbath.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I'm kind of surprised that you'd go with Sabbath.

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Lee,

    This isn't my normal genre but of the two I definitely prefer Black Sabbath and that's who gets my vote in this round. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I didn't think this would be many voters' cup of tea, but they are kind of creepy.

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. At least it was a fun and different battle. There's nothing wrong with that just to see how others react. :)

      Delete
  4. I'll go Black Sabbath- Ozzie is just a better vocal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, whoever you are, Ozzie's vocal are unique.

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Music to hurt my ears...lol. I actually prefer Werewolves because I liked the way the one played the guitar. I think of Jaws and music that creeper me our like Halloween for Autumn, I love Vivaldi's 4 seasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, yeah, I know. I don't listen to stuff like this anymore much, but these two bring back memories of youth.

      I was listening to part of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" this morning while driving to church. Such a great piece that I've enjoyed for decades.

      A vote for Troll.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook...

    A vote for Black Sabbath.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first one was just way too weird for my tastes. I could relate to Black Sabbath (harmonica!) so they get my vote this round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I would have figured you might appreciate this kind of weird. And they're from Chicago! But I know you like the harmonica.

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. L.Diane, funky works for that one. It's also eclectic.

      A vote for Troll.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Werewolf and Witchbreath started out creepy cool, but I jumped ship when it made Black Sabbath almost sound tame - can't have that - so my vote goes for The Wizard ;-)
    "Eyes Without a Face" - Billy Idol - reminds me of an especially frightful Halloween (fun though). "Autumn Leaves" - Nat King Cole - for every new school year I sat in class thinking it was just too soon for summer's end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diedre, the Idol song is a creepy weird one. I used to sing it to my daughters when they were little. Nat's song is so wistful. Good choice for Autumn.

    A vote for Black Sabbath.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it was Uriah Heep's Wizard it would have been easy, but The Troll unhinged me a bit, so I too will say Black Sabbath. Something I didn't think would ever happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, you're not the first one unhinged by The Troll. They are different!

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Love me some Black Sabbath, so they got my vote. No real musical memories of Halloween beyond what was played on a few college stations where the DJs would do Halloween specials, but none of the songs really stood out.

    I think for the type of music that would make me think of autumn would be role-playing fantasy music. Listened to quite a bit last year on YT for writing purposes, and a lot of it was quite thematic in nature.

    Yes, Halloween candy is outrageous, which is why we only buy what we need for the trick or treaters, and wait until the next day for it to be marked down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, I guess music related to scary things or the Halloween season doesn't evoke the same kinds of memories as Christmas music. Not songs we want to join in and sing along with.

      I have usually bought the marked down candy after Halloween, but I really need to try to cut sugar out of my diet. That's a tough one for me. We stopped doing trick or treat several years ago. I'm an old scrooge I guess.

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Got another Facebook vote from another cousin, Steve...

    A vote for Black Sabbath.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is right up my alley, as a hard rock and metal fan! ☺ I like both songs, but I LOVE Black Sabbath and those great Tony Iommi guitar riffs. A vote for Sabbath, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, glad you could appreciate this heavy music.

      Another vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I like what the drummer is doing in the Black Sabbath song and I think the musicianship is better with them, so they get my vote. As soon as I saw the battle I started laughing out loud thinking about the dilemma you posed to poor ol' McCarthy. I knew the bile would rise in his throat having to vote for either of these. The amusement value helped me get over my own dislike of both of them!

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I didn't think these picks would be overly popular, but I liked the Halloween concept. I like both of these, but that's how I tend to roll. However I rarely listen to this kind of music anymore. Those days are behind me.

      A vote for Black Sabbath.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee