This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, July 8, 2022

The Summer Song Battle Outcome ( #BOTB Results )

     We are free of Independence Day and now there's the rest of the summer.  I wish we in Southern California could have some of the rain some of you in other places are getting.  We always can use rain.  And my grass is drying up since we're only allowed to water twice a week  I think we might end up with fake grass eventually.  Works for me.  We have a very small yard....

    

    It was a real bang up Fourth of July at my house.  We had about 20 or so family members feasting on carne asada and all the fixings.  Mmmm!  Good stuff.  Had enough food for two rounds of eating during a day of talking, picture taking, and playing games.  I think everyone had a pretty good time.  It was all over by 6 PM when everyone went home to leave my wife and I to watch a movie on television as the sound of fireworks surrounded us and the air filled with smoke.

        What I want to know is where do all these people in my area and throughout the Los Angeles area get the money for all of these fireworks.  I mean, these are not your typical fireworks. These are the professional quality explode-massively-in-the-sky fireworks.  Sirens were heard throughout the evening as small fires erupted.   One guy nearby nearly blew his face off while a few miles away another guy died.  But it's like this every year.  I never saw as many fireworks when I lived in Tennessee.  California is crazy.  But you probably already know that.

         So on with the next item on the agenda...

  

Battle of the Bands Results



       My most recent Battle was a three-way showdown of similar sounding summer songs by Steve Miller Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Kid Rock.  The two classics of these--"Take the Money and Run" and "Sweet Home Alabama"--are both songs that I like a great deal.  They've been part of my summers for over forty years.  The Kid Rock song "All Summer Long" is relatively new to me, but I can appreciate the way his song includes the others in some way into a mash-up that has all the trademarks of becoming an iconic summertime party song.

        I like all three, but I'm going to give my vote to Kid Rock (which also averts having a tie for first place).  It would have been interesting to see what the outcome might have been with more votes.


Final Results

Steve Miller Band     3 votes

Lynyrd Skynyrd       3 votes

Kid Rock                   5 votes


Next Battle on Monday August 1st

          This is my plan.  I think I'll skip my midmonth Battle, but if I feel motivated I might put up a midmonth post of some sort.  Don't bet on it, but I might do it.  It's a lazy summer time so I might just be lazy and not do anything.




4 comments:

  1. I picked the winner! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>... California is crazy. But you probably already know that.

    Yep! I knew that in 1992, when I moved the hell out of helL.A.

    I still find it hard to believe that anyone would move there after having seen the "Rodney King Riots" on TV! The only answer I can come up with is: pure masochism.

    Anyway... a very good Battle outcome! I'm extremely surprised that Kid Rock won this, but at least it was close - an actual "Battle".

    I'll be here with my two cents again next time... whenever "next time" happens to be.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came close to voting for Kid Rock, so I'm not torn up that he won in this battle. I've come to appreciate Kid Rock in recent years more so than I would've expected. I blame it for not being open minded enough to sample the unknown. Good battle even though I was on the wrong side in this round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though my son was born on July 4th, I'm not a fan of fireworks. He does his own these days. RE: California We are getting more and more Californians moving to Missouri. California, I hear, isn't the place to be.

    Teresa @ https://journalingwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee