This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Now Let's Face the Outcome ( #BOTB Results )

    Yeah, yeah, yeah--I'm a bit late posting this, but I said I'd do it on the 8th so maybe I'm not all that late.  I'm here ain't I?

    

            Typically. I'll tally my votes the night before the scheduled post and compose the whole deal and, voila, the post goes up in the wee hours while I'm still sleeping.  Except this time I just couldn't stay awake to do it.  Or, should I say, I just didn't feel like staying awake to write this short post.

       So without further blah blah, I'm whipping this together on the morning of and let us get down to the business of....


Battle of the Bands Results



         My recent Battle was an example of the risky tactic of putting up a classic performed by the original artist against a later version by a cover artist.   In this potentially misguided Battle I had the original movie version of Fred Astaire singing "Let's Face the Music and Dance" while dancing with his most famous dance partner Ginger Rogers.    On the opposing side I had singing the same song the electro-pop eighties artist Taco with his own dance version from fifty years after Astaire did his number.

        I knew I was going to vote Astaire and I felt sure at the beginning that he would win this match.  In fact I almost didn't use the Astaire version just for that reason.  But then, after listening a few times to Taco's version, I actually felt lured by the more modern sounds.  I was tempted to vote Taco, but the grand sweep of the orchestra and Astaire's classic phrasing of the lyrics called me back to my first appreciation of this great song.  Astaire owns this song, but Taco wasn't bad at all.

        The outcome was interesting to me and somewhat unexpected.  Astaire is still King on this song, but Taco was a worthy contender.  This is the kind of outcome I like to see.


Final Vote Tally

Fred Astaire      10 votes

Taco                  9 votes



Next Battle on Wednesday June 15th

      I guess I'll do a midmonth Battle this time around.  Anyone going to join me?   I'm not doing much else.  I might even be on time next time.  Time will tell.






5 comments:

  1. An interesting battle for certain. I'm kind of surprised it came down to your vote being the difference. I was sure Astaire was going to run away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A One-Vote Margin Of Victory -- that's the *IDEAL* Battle outcome!

    I had a close contest, too, but not quite *that* close.

    Interesting match-up that was better'n I would have guessed it would turn out.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee,

    Not a bad battle. I was on the wrong side of the voting pattern but I still prefer Taco as my pick. See ya around. Have a good weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like Taco's music better than I like Fred's. I voted for Fred because I thought Taco violated the mood of the song. It it meant to be more of a dirge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised Taco got that many votes! That sure was an interesting outcome.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee