This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Can't Take My Eyes Off of You ( #BOTB )


        Other people are a favorite pastime for most of us.  We like to see what others are doing.  Just think if there were no people on television.  It would be like looking out a window at a view that was always changing, but without people it would likely soon get old--and wordless....

     
A cool scene for a hot day:  Skating at Ober Gatlnburg in the Smoky Mountains
Who You Lookin' At

         Who doesn't like people watching?  We watch others for entertainment, satisfying curiosity, or instruction. YouTube is filled with videos of people doing nutty or endearing things.  It's become a go to site for me when I want to watch how others do something like household chores or simple repairs that I might want to attempt on my own.  If I can see somebody else do it then I figure I can possibly do it as well.

        Then, there are those objects of fixation, admiration, or adoration. It might be your spouse, kids, pet, car, or whatever it is that you want to have for your own The desire can sometimes be so strong that it can work adversely against us. Perhaps you can recall some instance in your own life of wanting someone or something so badly that it can lead to feelings of despondency or even reckless behavior.

         In other cases, our focus on something might help us to become better as we continue to strive to obtain that which we achingly long for.  We practice, we work, we write, and we dream.

           Or we might just have a Battle of the Bands...
       

Battle of the Bands


Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Can't Take My Eyes Off of You

         My Battle theme for this month is eyes.  The previous Battle featured "Eye in the Sky" which is essentially about watching someone for the purpose of spying on their thoughts and actions. In this next Battle we'll look at two very different versions of the song "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" which was originally a big hit for Frankie Valli of the vocal group The Four Seasons.   You've undoubtedly heard this original version (don't vote on it please!) and if not, you've surely heard some version of this song which has been recorded numerous times and appeared often in films, etc.  This classic is a true standard tune of our times.

        In the following Battle we'll compare two very different sounding as well as different approaches to this hit.  One of these you will likely be unfamiliar with while the other was a big hit in the nineties.  I actually own the albums where each of these versions first appeared so I'm a fan of both.  However, I like one better than the other.  Which do you like best?


Daniel Amos  "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You"   (1995)

         Daniel Amos is the name of a contemporary Christian rock group that first appeared on the scene in 1974.   Under the leadership of Terry Scott Taylor,the group and its members have recorded numerous albums to this day not only as Daniel Amos, but also in various other guises.  To me, Taylor is a music genius and his group and solo projects are among my favorites.  Though they usually do original tunes, in this case they performed this cover.  In Taylor's approach here the song is sung almost as a hymn of adoration to God...





Lauryn Hill   "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You"   (1998)

        Formerly with the hip-hop group The Fugees, Lauryn Hill parted ways to release the highly acclaimed monster hit album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill which is where her version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" first appeared. She takes a pretty radical approach to the tune and I think it works very well. What do you think?....








Time to Vote!

        Now all eyes are on you!  Which artist do you like best?   Pick one and have some fun!  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

         Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.




Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Angel's Bark  


Debbie Doglady's Den

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside





Winner of this Battle Announced on Monday September 23
          As we head into fall, I'll announce the results of the final Battle of the summer of 2019.  I don't even want to think about winter right now.  It seems like January was just a few weeks ago.  Time is careening at an unbelievable speed!

           These days, what is the focus of your greatest love, admiration, or attention?  In your younger days did you ever fall under the affliction of "puppy love"?    Do you have a secret love that you dare not tell anyone about (except here of course)?  


         


44 comments:

  1. Your topic "Who You Lookin' At" reminds me of an old song:

    "I was looking back to see
    if you were looking back to see
    If I was looking back to see
    if you were looking back at me

    You were cute as you could be
    standing looking back at me
    And it was plain to see
    that I'd enjoy your company"

    I can't see you, but I enjoy your posts.
    I will be lookin' back to see if you're lookin' back at my posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NTNPNN, I seem to remember those lyrics from somewhere. I'll be around soon.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I vote for Daniel Amos. I know the song but not the singer.
    Have a great weekend Lee.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I don't think anyone in the Western World hasn't heard this song.

      First vote goes to Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. CW, I can't say that I'm a hip-hopper either, but I do enjoy some songs in that genre.

      Another vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I'll have to go with Daniel Amos. Like the crunch guitar, especially in such an older song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'd been surprised if you hadn't voted this way...

      Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Your mention of people watching was interesting. This led me to my time when little when there was no tv and we had to make our own amusement, use our own creativity. As do the artists you mention, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People watching is always fun, especially at the airport or the mall. ☺ Lauryn Hill does take a unique approach, but I prefer the more traditional sound of Daniel Amos. Interesting battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, I try to read at an airport, but I always get distracted by people.

      A vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Oh man, this is so hard! Because I LOVED the Frankie Valli version, I found neither of these particularly appealing. No fan of hop-hop, Amos gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, we grew up with that Frankie Valli sound and it's iconic for sure.

      By default a vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I didn't like either one: Daniel Amos's was too noisy and Lauryn Hill's just sounded wrong. I'll give Daniel my vote, but it's nowhere near the song the original was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I'm not sure I'd call DA "noisy", but they can have some rough edges at times.

      A vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I really wanted to like Lauryn Hill, but she was just a little too different for me. While Daniel Amos' was noisy, it just felt better to me. My vote goes to Daniel Amos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, what's this "noisy" thing? It's crunchy rock and roll.

      Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Daniel Amos has my vote. Frankie Valli hold the crown, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, Frankie Valli would be a tough one to beat.

      Heading toward a sweep...

      Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I agree with John, I didn't like either of them but Amos gets my vote. It sounded a little crackly like an old scratched record through my speakers so maybe that's what people were talking about when they said noisy. I tried to listen past that.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I think the "crackly" sound is the intention of the style, but maybe there is something about playing through computer speakers (though sounds fine on mine).

      Another vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Lee,

    How interesting you should use this song in your battle. For our 40th anniversary, DH got me a beautiful Italian music box which plays this song. It brought me to tears receiving not only such a lovely gift but the song is what really did it to me. It touched me so deeply the way he feels about me and every time I open it play I can't help but mist up. Now, onward to your battle. I can't say I'm crazy about either of these artists but I definitely like Daniel Amos the best between the two. Daniel can't hold a candle to Frankie Valli.

    DH is my greatest love and admiration. He has been for the past 40+ years. Oh sure I've fallen under the puppy love spell, mostly over some celebrity and as I got older had a huge crush on Tom Selleck but then what woman didn't? These days, I'm past secret crushes. I can't take my eyes of DH! Cool battle. I'm back in with the BoTB routine, so when you can you may want to cast your ballot in my Stairway To Heaven showdown, my friend. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, this is a very romantic song I think and I can see where it would work well in your music box gift. Your love story is a wonderful one!

      A vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee,

      Thank you. I give God full credit. He blessed me by giving me such an amazing husband. We've grown together instead of apart which could've easily gone the other way but God kept us forced always on the other.

      Delete
  13. I do like this song by the 4 Seasons. Both versions I would not listen to on my own but I will go for Daniel Amos who made the song his own and created a different feel to it. I am not much into Lauren Hill. Ahh, Love..right now all goes to my hubby who has just been through day surgery on his right shoulder. Personally, I think he should have stayed a day. The operation lasted 3 hrs-double the time because they found more stuff. Michael was told but he forgot. It was a long day in TO that's for sure. I have had puppy Love when I was in high school but I dare not tell the boy I like him. When I was 10, I liked this one man that was hired by my dad. He had dark hair and I thought he was cute and so, I followed him everywhere until the jerk called me on it and asked why I was doing that. I was so embarrassed that I stopped. Yes, I had a secret love that was quite important to me and vice versa many years ago....I shall not say more:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, yes, most of us have a few secrets at least that may never be known.

      A vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. LEE ~

    >>... My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.

    I've always joked about my lack of math skills but... I feel pretty confident in saying that the Battle on the first day of each month is the "first" Battle, and the one that comes a couple weeks later on the 15th is the "second" Battle of the month.

    That album cover for Daniel Amos certainly is deceptive. Hardly what I expected the song to sound like. I figured it would be crooning a la Mitch Miller or Bing Crosby or something like that.

    The mountain background on that album cover looks a lot like Bell Rock in Sedona, AZ. A lot of people think that Bell Rock is some kind of energy portal, but I climbed it once and didn't feel nuttin' (except hot 'n' sweaty).

    To be honest, I didn't care for the vocal tone of Daniel Amos' lead singer. It just didn't have any kind "romantic" quality necessary for a song like this. And I probably would have liked the Lauryn Hill recording if it hadn't been so incredibly overproduced with all those "extra" mannerisms and touches that pretty much ruined what potentially could have been a nice version of this song.

    I listened to each song once all the way through, and then listened again to the first two minutes of each song in order to make up my mind. Looks like I'm here to save you from what was shaping up to be a shutout, Lee. I'll cast an unenthusiastic bote for Lauryn Hill.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, it is a weird cover and, yes, the photo was taken in Sedona. I've been to Sedona a few times and never felt particularly mystified or psychically influenced.

      This vote was needed! Lauryn Hill.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. "Baa. Baa." Like the sheep I am, I am following the crowd here. I am not prowling off the chain like that lone wolf McCarthy. Amos is literally the only way to vote IMO, even though it isn't great. Hill's is just terrible.

    I'm in St. Louis right now, traveling from sea to shining sea. I just saw "The Dip" at a tiny venue. They are literally the only living band that Stephan and I agree we both like. You should check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, Happy travels! I wouldn't mind being on the roads right now as well.

      A vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Lauryn Hill for the win. That was surprisingly easy. After these, I am listening to Andy Williams, with The Lettermen soon to follow... I have been really dedicated to the latter half of the 1960's (1965 to 1969), and with the 50 year anniversary winding down, I am somewhat sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, the 60's were an interesting time and I think I was at the right age at that time.

      A vote for Lauryn Hill.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. My vote goes to Daniel Amos, though it was quite different than the original. Lauryn's version was a bit too intense for the song, I thought.

    "to obtain that which we achingly long for..." The entire paragraph is superbly crafted, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, thank you for the compliment!

      Another vote for Daniel Amos.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. I love this song. When I was a kid I also loved the 4 seasons. I don't have a preference from your choices, but I sure liked Frankie Valli singing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, this is a pretty great song. The Four Seasons were one of the first groups I really started getting into back in the sixties. Frankie would have won hands down if his version had been in the Battle.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. I prefer Lauryn Hill's version. Her stylings felt smoother and more to my personal taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, Lauryn thanks you!

      A vote for Lauryn Hill.

      Lee

      Delete
  20. Lauryn Hill gets my sympathy vote and my wife's. We both prefer Frankie Valli by decades and neither of these compares, but Lauryn needs help before Amos wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, who doesn't like Frankie Valli? Someone I guess, but they have bad taste...

      A sympathy vote for Lauryn Hill.

      Lee

      Delete
  21. The 4 seasons, Andy Williams and the Overtones - lots of bands tried out this little number which has a nice beat to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spacer, I guess this can be considered among the greatest classics of the pop music era.

      Lee

      Delete
  22. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook a vote for...

    Daniel Amos.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee