This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, May 15, 2021

Laléna ( #BOTB )

       
          Right now I'm at a loss for anything to say.  So I guess I'll just get down to the business of this post--music.  Because it's time for another....  


Battle of the Bands




        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this                                                                                 post for more Battle action.




Lalena

       The song is about a prostitute, but it's a tragic sad song about a woman who is essentially a victim of circumstance.  It's an achingly beautiful song which has been recorded numerous times over the years since it was first released by its composer Donovan Leitch.  I didn't want to pit the original version against any other since it is so good.  Likewise is the case for my favorite cover version of the song by Deep Purple.

       Instead I've opted to use two other versions that I also like a great deal by artists who I also like.  It's probably more about the excellence of the song itself. Any competent artist would probably make this song sound good.  See what you think about the following artists...


Trini Lopez    "Lalena" (1969)

        I was introduced to the music of Trini Lopez when I was still in elementary school by my fourth grade teacher Ms. Kingston who was responsible for introducing me to so much wonderful music.  Later, after Trini's release of his hit "Lemon Tree", we used to sing the song in our middle school choir.  Sadly Trini Lopez died last year at age 83 after complications of COVID.   Here is his version of Donavan's song...





Jane Olivor  "Lalena"  (1977)

            In the mid-eighties when I was touring extensively, I was visiting my cousin's friends on Bainbridge Island in Washington state, and while perusing their collection of cassette tapes noted a few by Jane Olivor, an artist of whom I had never heard.  Later I saw the same looking cassettes in a music store cut out bin. They were inexpensive and the song selections were nice.  I went ahead and bought each different album.   The albums are very relaxing, but that's her style. Like this...






Time to Vote!
        
          Hey! I'm running out of blogging steam.  Give me a recharge.  Please join in and play along in this Battle of the Bands.  I hope you'll at least give the versions a listen to discern your favorite.   Which version do you prefer?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 




Winner of this Battle Announced on Friday May 21 

         I guess a lot of folks look in on my results post and just don't comment.  I feel like it's just something I have to do.  And who knows...maybe I'll think of something I want to say.
















23 comments:

  1. This is not a song I would have thought would ever be covered... but Trini's was absolutely gorgeous! Easy winner here. That might make what is shaping up to be another "cover summer" on my M10...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, Every version I've heard is very nicely performed. It's the song quality.

      First vote goes to Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. It's a definite vote for Trini Lopez from me. Not really my genre of music, but of the two, Trini did it best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, Donovan wrote some great songs. I've loved his music since the sixties.

      Another vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Trini Lopez gets my vote too. You deserve a rest after the A to Z :)

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I don't feel like I exerted myself too much for A to Z. I probably mostly need rest because I'm getting older.

      Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. A beautiful song as you say Lee. I like Trini Lopez.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, this song has haunted me since I first heard the version by Deep Purple about 50 years ago.

      Trini Lopez..

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I'm with everyone else here: Trini Lopez was easier to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, this is turning into an absolute blow-out from appearances so far. Hopefully Jane will pull a few votes.

      Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Mike, join the crowd...

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Well, to be honest, I don't care much for the song, period. But no surprise there, as I don't believe I've ever heard a Donovan song that I've really liked.

    But between these two renditions... uhm... they're both rather equally "Eh" for me, but I may lean very slightly toward JANE OLIVOR, and since she needs a little help to avoid the shutout, I'll give her that help.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, have you heard the version by Deep Purple? I might have should have used that one after all. Personally, I think this song is so lovely--so melancholy and wistful.

      Thanks for helping me avoid the dreaded shut out.

      Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Just when I thought I'd heard everything Trini Lopez ever did...Wow! A truly beautiful rendition of a pretty woman song. Loved the guitar.
    Thanks for introducing Jane Olivor. The piano did well to sooth her uniquely strident voice.
    Trini Lopez gets my vote!

    P.S. I listened to the Deep Purple version, and you're right - outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, everything about Trini's version is wonderful I think. I prefer this to his hit "Lemon Tree". Olivor's voice almost attains an operatic feel.

      I'm glad you listened to the Deep Purple vision. It comes from my favorite album by that group.

      Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lee,

    I'm not at all familiar with the song. I liked both cover artists. I figured the fella would win me over but I believe JANE OLIVOR nudged him out by a hair. You can't go wrong with either, though. Lovely battle! Thanks for stopping by to vote in my BoTB, my friend. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, "Lalena" is a somewhat obscure song, perhaps because of the subject matter or maybe it's just too slow for most tastes. It's the kind of song I like a lot. But I'm not surprised that you wouldn't be familiar with this song.

      A vote for Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed both very much, but I'll have to give it to Trini Lopez. It's a beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I do think this is a beautiful song. I've liked it for a very long time.

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Both are excellent with each creating their own style but ..hmmmm....right now, I give it to Trini Lopez for creating his own bent to this lovely ballad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I like both of these very much which makes it a tough choice for me. Thanks for your vote for...

      Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. From my Cousin Tom on Facebook comes a vote for...

    Jane Olivor.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee