This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Battle of the Monsters ( #BOTB )

The monsters of our imagination are mostly representations of very real things that can fill us with apprehension and avoidance of facing those fears.  We always can blame things on the monsters...



Image result for frankenstein vs godzilla

Frankenstein versus Godzilla

         Since Frankenstein came first in the roll call of famous monsters, he might hold the advantage in being the favorite of a good many fans of the horror genres.  And though the story is a European invention and takes place in Europe, thanks to Hollywood Frankenstein seems like more of  an American invention whereas Godzilla is definitely the spawn of post World War II Japan.

        The monster of the Frankenstein stories has been incorrectly referred to by his creator's surname --Dr. Frankenstein--and that misnomer has stuck ever since the original publication of the Mary Shelley novel in 1818.  The Frankenstein monster has appeared in numerous adaptions and derivations over the years, endearing him to monster fans throughout the world.

          The Frankenstein Monster's biggest film rival since 1954 has been the Japanese reptilian monster Godzilla who has also appeared many times since, primarily in Japanese made films.  While Dr. Frankenstein created his monster out of the body parts of dead humans, Godzilla was an already created being that was roused from a comatose sleep by nuclear radiation. 

          Both stories are warnings to humans not to play God and tamper with powers that are beyond us.  The outcomes of most of the stories of either monsters end with death and destruction humans and property, yet with a certain sympathetic view of the monstrous anti-heroes.  Over the years these monsters have become beloved by many as well as specters that can haunt our dark fantasies and nightmares. 

            As one might expect with beloved characters such as these, they have also inspired songs in their honor.   In this current round of Battle of the Bands you decide which monster has inspired your favorite song about them...



Battle of the Bands
        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.




Edgar Winter Group   "Frankenstein"  (1973)

          I'm using a long performance version of the song so it's up to you how long you want to listen to it.  It's a pretty cool version I think and maybe you'll agree.  Maybe you'll also think this is the best of the two monster songs in this Battle.   Prepare to rock...







Blue Oyster Cult    "Godzilla"   (1977)

          BOC did a lot songs with science fiction related themes, but with a group name that refers a group of aliens who guide Earth's history that shouldn't come as any surprise.  Considering the heavy metal nature of the group's music, it's also not surprising that one of their big hits would be about a big scary monster.   It's a real rocker, but the question here is whether you like this one better than the song by Edgar Winter.  The choice is yours...







Time to Vote!

         This is a monstrous decision, I know, but you better make a choice or else.  Personally I think both versions are powerful.  Which song do you prefer?  Which monster do you like the best?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind.  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ 

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 

A I Love Music


Winner of this Battle Announced on Wednesday January 22nd

         If you don't vote then watch out!  One or both monsters might come to haunt you!  Be sure to come back next Wednesday to see which monster hit you preferred and who really is king of the monsters.


          Which is your favorite Frankenstein movie?    Do you have a favorite Godzilla movie?   Which monster do you like best?







32 comments:

  1. No contest! Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. Excellent song from a great band and extra geeky to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, BOC is one of my favorites.

      First vote goes to BOC.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Lee,

    I definitely like 'Frankenstein' by Edgar Winter but I think I enjoyed more the newly introduced 'Godzilla' by Blue Oyster Cult. Their song has more of the classic rock vibe edging out the early 70s artsy-rock instrumental.

    My favorite Frankenstein movie is "Young Frankenstein" which is hardly scary but sure to scare you into the ER with some broken ribs from laughing so hard. The only Godzilla films I recall seeing are the ones from the late 60s and early 70s. Did I ever tell you that I went to a cattle call with the hopes of being picked as an extra in the mid-80s when Hollyweird was in town shooting a Godzilla flick? I didn't get picked but it was a lot of fun to do. My favorite monster type movies are about vampires. My battle is now open!

    Mr Blue Sky BoTB showdown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I've been meaning to rewatch Young Frankenstein--it's been years since I've seen it. I recall when they filmed a King Kong film in East Tennessee, but I didn't know they did a Godzilla film. I was on the road for most of the 80s so I guess I didn't hear about that filming.

      Vampires are a popular genre for sure.

      Another vote for BOC.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. We saw Edgar Winter live a few years ago and were blown away by the level of talent. I thought for sure, my vote would go to Frankenstein, but I'm really liking the psychedelic vibe of Godzilla, a song I've never heard before. Please give my vote to Blue Oyster Cult!

    I'm not a huge fan of monster movies, but do like the vampire stuff. First movie that came to mind is "Transylvania 6-5000", a 1985 comedy starring Jeff Goldblum. It's hilarious! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, Edgar Winter had a mighty talented group though I was never much into his music. I'm surprised you haven't heard the BOC song before. I've followed that group from their early days.

      A vote for BOC.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. They say he's got to go - go, go Godzilla!

    That is definitely my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, Godzilla really going to town so far in this Battle.

      A definite vote for Godzilla.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Go, go Godzilla! I forgot how much I liked that song ;-)

    Would "The Fly" count as a monster movie? "Silver Bullet" - about a werewolf - was surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, BOC did a lot of great songs.

      The Fly is most certainly a monster movie and both versions were good.

      A vote for BOC.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Fantastic Battle, LEE! This is definitely my favorite Battle you've put together in quite awhile. Very clever concept. (Damn! I shoulda thought of doing this "Monster" idea!)

    I have always dug both of these terrific songs! In fact, 'Godzilla' comes from the BOC album 'Spectres' which was a huge favorite of mine and is one of only a small handful of Hard Rock albums from the "Classic Rock" era that I still own. I was even playing the 'Spectres' album only a few days ago! Every song on that collection is great, and I still say that Buck Dharma is the most underrated guitarist from that era of Rock music! Man, that guy came up with so many unique and memorable solos!

    And then 'Frankenstein' I have loved going back to when I was actually hearing it every couple of hours on the radio. If you slap the metal handrail that runs along the ramp leading down to the Santa Monica Pier, you'll get a sound that is very similar to a synthesizer sound that one hears during the instrumental section in the studio recording of 'Frankenstein'. Every time I'd walk down to the pier (or back up from it), I would slap that railing and marvel at how it reminded me of that little part in 'Frankenstein'.

    I think BOTH of these songs are classics, and I really HATE to have to vote against one of them, but I'm gonna break up this (up until now) shutout and cast the first vote for THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP. Damn! That musicianship is stellar, and I never realized until now just how talented Edgar Winter was! Was there any instrument that guy couldn't play?!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    POSTSCRIPT:
    Sixgun McItchyfinger, have you ever listened to the studio version of 'Frankenstein' while watching that skateboarder on Geiger Grade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, if I ever go back to Santa Monica Pier I'll have to remember to "slap the handrail" to get that Frankenstein sound. If I remember.

      You've saved me from a shutout!

      Finally a vote for Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I know both versions but I give it to Edgar Winter because that song is just so original whereas the Godzilla one seemed more noise with the word "Godzilla" thrown in too many time. I love The Bride of Frankenstein but my heart goes to Godzilla for favourite monster. I love it when Godzilla turns "good" and starts fighting Gamarah. I also love Rodan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, looks like a turnaround in the works for Edgar Winter.

      Bride of Frankenstein is a good film--I watched it again a few years ago and realized how good it was. I need to watch out for another showing on TCM.

      Godzilla is a Japanese cultural treasure.

      Another vote for Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Very different contenders so I wavered. However, I'm going for Edgar Winter Group even if the Frankenstein aspect is not so obvious. Your film poster opening is brilliant, Lee. I grew up with Hammer Horror movies so lean towards the European monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, love those old film posters and some of the concepts behind the films are pretty wild. I used to love the old Hammer films.

      A vote for Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I shall gladly cast a nod for Frankenstein. Edgar Winter and Rick Zehringer, who by this time was Rick Derringer, whom you recall as the teenage singer for the McCoys on the garage band classic, "Hang On Sloopy," created an entire new groove.

    While I prefer Godzilla, as an entity, because Godzilla does good, and Frankenstein is a ruiner, my musical vote must be for...

    Frankenstein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, the McCoys turned out some excellent albums after their success with "Sloopy". I still have a couple of their old albums on vinyl.

      A vote for Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I've always liked "Frankenstein," even if it is just an excuse for Edgar Winter to show us how many musical instruments he can play. In fact, maybe it's the reason I like it so much. I'm going with Edgar and the boys here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John H, "Frankenstein" is quite a musical showcase for sure.

      Again it's Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh, this is so hard! I really like both of these songs a lot. Like, I truly like one as much as the other.

    "Frankenstein" is one of the best instrumentals I've ever heard, and clocking in at just under ten minutes, it is indeed a monster of a song. However, the ten minutes goes by fast, and there isn't an awkward sound in the entirety of it. This song is tight, and I also love the jam-band quality of it.

    "Godzilla" is just so awesome, though. I love the sound and the vibe and it really takes me there. I love spooky/scary-ish songs, and all of BOC's songs have that element to me.

    So....I am giving my vote to BOC, but ONLY because I'm feeling them just a little bit more today.

    Well done battle!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, it's a tough choice for me as well. Thanks for your vote for...

      BOC.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. It's kind of a tough decision to make between the two songs. The lyrics to the second one are really neat, while the first doesn't have any lyrics period (of what I listened to; I only had time to listen to it half-way). As much as I dig Blue Oyster Cult, I'm more so into their lesser heavy metal songs such as "Don't Fear The Reaper" and "I'm Burning For You". Winter's song has more of a jazz-funk fusion sound to it, which I'm really into jazz and funk, so I'm going to chose "Frankenstein" over "Godzilla" in this case. However, I really do dig both Frankenstein's Monster and Godzilla who are two of my favourite classic monster characters. But I vote "Frankenstein" as my song of preference here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven, the Frankenstein and Godzilla monsters have become so ingrained in the cultural psyche of not only the U.S., but internationally. Either song is a pretty good tribute to these famous monsters.

      A vote for Frankenstein.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Excellent concept! Great battle this time, with both contenders known, but worthy.

    Like everyone else, I like 'em both. But - although I don't have the LP album of BOC - I DO have the Edgar Winter Group album that I bought when Frankenstein came out! I always thought they were one heck of a group! So I am voting EWG this time.

    Lee - do you remember the mid-sixties when monsters were all the rage? The Addams Family, The Munsters, Saturday reruns of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" etc. I liked all those old black and white movies. I think the Mummy was my favorite. Some friends and I once got some bay leaves from my mom's spice rack and pretended to burn "9 Tana Leaves" to try to revive the monster. But as an earlier commenter posted: Young Frankenstein was my favorite monster movie. "Frau Blücher!" "Neighhhhh!" HA HA!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bps5hJ5DQDw

    And StMcC - No, I have NOT tried Frankenstein on the Geiger Grade video, but hokey smokes! I'll bet it works really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I never had any albums by Edgar Winter, but I've not only got some BOC in my collection, but I've also seen them in concert. Great group!

      I was totally into monsters when I was a kid in the sixties. Watched those shows you mentioned and saw as many of the monster movies as I could. I liked the Mummy as well--he was probably my favorite monster model that I built and painted back when I was getting those model kits.

      Another vote for Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Finally home from the hospital, and finding a moment to stop by to cast my vote.

    I've always enjoyed both of these monster tunes, but when push comes to shove, I'm going to give my vote to Edgar Winter Group.

    Great concept for a battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary B, so good that you are out and I hope you manage to limit your doctor visits in favor of great health. Be well!

      A vote for Edgar Winter.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Lee,

    I'm having issues in Blogosphere this morning. I would've replied to your reply but it just kept spinning like it wasn't doing anything so let me try it here. Anywho, you're right it was King Kong film NOT Godzilla. I don't know where my brain is sometimes! *smack forehead*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy, I think maybe Blogger has been tinkering with this site again. I've had some of those same problems commenting. Not sure what's going on.

    I recall the King Kong movie because an old friend who was also my insurance agent at the time told me about the filming because he had gotten a part as one of the extra soldiers in the scenes that were filmed on the section of Hwy 321 through Wears Valley.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee