This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, July 15, 2019

Fly LIke an Eagle ( #BOTB )


Forget Waldo.  Where am I now?  No matter--at least I've managed some attempt at another band Battle...

Where's Waldo Face Poster


Battle of the Bands

Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Fly Like an Eagle

         Since I'm out here on vacation all across America I've been doing a lot of flying with my wheels on the ground.  As this current Battle of the Bands round takes place, I'm at the midway point of my annual pilgrimage back East and then back again to wacky L.A.   Perhaps though not literally "flying" I'm still metaphorically up in the air in more ways than one.  So let's just fly into this Battle with that old song from Steve Miller Band...


Trini Lopez  "Fly Like an Eagle"  (2014)

        As I do, some of you might recall Trini Lopez from his sixties hit "Lemon Tree" which was his cover of a song that had been released a few years before his version.  I don't recall hearing much about Lopez since then, but it looks like the guy is still around.  Here's his version of "Fly Like an Eagle" set against some California scenery...






Rus Reppart  "Fly Like an Eagle"  (2016)

       With a video shot in Clarksburg, WV where my father was from, Rus Reppart takes the song with an indoor shoot and some fine guitar playing.   How does this compare with Trini's version?  Take a listen and decide for yourself...





Time to Vote!

     From the desert of California to a warehouse in West Virginia we have two artists flying like eagles in the musically metaphorical sense.  Which artist do you like best?   Pick one and have some fun!  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

         Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.




Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Angel's Bark  


Debbie Doglady's Den

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside

A I Love Music


Winner of this Battle Announced on Monday July 22

        I should be able to manage this announcement post okay despite a busy activity schedule with family.  Ain't it fun being a grandparent?  I should also have no trouble making the rounds to everyone else's Battles.  I've been mostly offline while on vacation, but I do manage an hour or so each morning before the kids get up.  But it's vacation so I'm going to just do what I can.  Hope you all are having a great summer.

         Are you anyplace special right now?   Is where you live special?  Do you wish you could actually fly like an eagle?




35 comments:

  1. The state of LA right now, I don't think I'd go back.

    I kinda liked Rus Reppart's version. Very soulful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, I wish I could stay back east but my house and stuff is in CA. As long as the govt and wackos leave me alone I'll be okay.

      First vote goes to Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Hope your road trip is going well! ☺ I do remember Trini Lopez, especially his version of IF I HAD A HAMMER. Glad to see he's still with us and rocking out! Both covers were good, but Trini really brought joy to it, so he gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, having a fantastic trip!

      I didn't know whether Trini was still alive or not until I found this video.

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Geddy LEE ~

    I've heard some older Trini Lopez music and that recording sure didn't sound like what I'd have expected from him!

    I thought both versions were pretty good. I feel that the style of Rus was more in keeping with the sentiment expressed in the song but, nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to TRINI's more exuberant, more heavily produced recording slightly more. Once in awhile, my reaction to music is kind of counterintuitive, and this is one of those occasions.

    This was a good Battle, with two different approaches to the same song.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I too was bit surprised by Trini's sound here. I always thought of "Lemon Tree" and other folkish tunes.

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I had no idea Trini was still alive, but I'm glad to hear it.

    My earliest REAL phono album - after some children's albums - was a Trini album. I loved that thing and played the heck outta his version of La Bamba. I am voting for Trini for sentimental reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, actually I hadn't thought much of Trini in recent decades, but I wasn't a fan of his music either. Never owned any of his music.

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. So a few things here:

    Your lead in about flying with wheels on the ground reminded me of a song I wonder if you know- the Guess Who, Flying On The Ground, written by Neil Young...

    Trini: We had his If I Had A Hammer back when we were little. Got almost as much play at 78 as 45, lol...


    Both songs really good, with a lot of difference in the takes. I'm gonna go with Trini, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I don't recall that song by Young. I'll have to check it out.

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I, too, had no idea Trini was still living. Great memories! With a nod to sentimentality, he gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, some artists seem to quietly slip out of view yet remain active. I'm glad to see that he's kept up with times.

      Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Excellent battle here. I enjoyed Trini. I don't recall hearing anything from him earlier, but that doesn't mean that I haven't. It was Rus' rendition that I got lost in. Completely forgot that it was a battle. I'm going to have to give my vote to Rus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Trini's been around since I was a kid over 50 years ago. You've likely heard something by him since he was fairly popular back then and his music still probably gets played here and there.

      A vote for Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I bet you are having a great time on your vacation. I must give it to Rus who was very engaging and wonderful to listen to whereas Trini got a bit on my nerves by the end. We were gone to St. Jean Quebec for a week staying at hubby’ Aunt and Uncle’s place right on the Richelieu River which was very peaceful. Going back to work tomorrow and wish I could stay retired instead of vacation ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, yes, a great time with over two weeks to go. A riverside stay sounds rather nice.

      A vote for Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Rus Reppert has my vote. I hate voting for someone simply for nostalgia like Trina who was annoying. Reppert was soulful and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I can understand your reasoning and...

      A vote for Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Lee,

    I'm home which isn't purrfect but it's my special place and my home is located in very special part of the country - east Tennessee. You know how much I love it here. When I was a kid, I dreamed of flying like an eagle but not so much anymore. I'm going to give my vote to my homestate artist, Rus Ruppert. I preferred everything about his cover just a little better than his contender, not that he was bad or anything. Trini version was too fast for me to really get into the groove. Have a bandtastic week, my friend. Time surely does keep on sliping, sliping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, home is where we make it.

      A vote for Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Trini for me. Love the faster beat. Have fun with the grandkids (and their parents too!)

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, having a ball!

      A vote for Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Hi Lee!

    Another Trini Lopez song you might well be thinking of is "This Land is Your Land.." along your current journey ;-) Hope you're enjoying!

    Just returned from a stay in the woods - loved it! Coming home is always good too ;-)

    Both were nice renditions. Easy listening. For some reason, I couldn't get the Lemon Tree out of my head until I listened to Rus Reppert - then my mind flew off to pleasant scenes and smiling faces. Rus gets my vote!

    Happy trails out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I'm sure I've heard the Lopez version of "This Land", but "Lemon Tree" is the standout song for me.

      A vote for Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Hope your travels are going well! Rus Reppart gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, now languishing in the heat of NJ. So hot!

      Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. A wavering vote as I enjoyed both. A sentimental decision that goes for Trini - even though I loved Rus's guitar playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, the sentimental favorite is understandable to me...

      Trini Lopez.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Hope you have fun with the grandkids and their parents too.

    I go with number two, the first was get but a bit annoying at points I found.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang, Lee! I didn't know we had a Knoxville AND a West-by-God Virginia connection in common?

    Give my vote to RUE! Good battle, great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherdo, Isn't it cool what we find out from each other? Both my parents came from WV.

      Vote for Rus Reppert.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee