This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, May 22, 2015

In the Winners' Circle

The 1896 Olympic marathon.
The 1896 Olympic marathon. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


         Just in case there are any of my blog readers who have not noticed yet, I like Battle of the Bands.   In fact I might even get a bit obsessive about Battle of the Bands.   After all, haven't I just posted four consecutive blog posts starting with one Battle of the Bands post last Friday?   True that my Monday post did incorporate another blog fest, but still that post was strongly related to my Battle of the Bands post that preceded it.   In fact, in the past I have even cross posted Battle of the Bands inspired posts on my Wrote By Rote blog.   I must be obsessed!

         Actually I don't want to consider this a negative thing because music is a topic that inspires me.  I am passionate about music.  I enjoy writing about music almost as must as I enjoy listening to it. A fixated passion doesn't have to be thought of as weird.  I've seen people fixated on sports, politics, food, sex, and so on and a healthy fixation on anything shouldn't be considered a negative thing   You might think of music on this blog as my hobby or part of my niche.  It's what I do here sometimes and hopefully there are enough readers who enjoy it that they will keep returning to read my posts.

        I am happy to have Battle of the Bands as one of the recurring topics on Tossing It Out.   This blog event or shared interactive blogging experience has been a great idea as far as I am concerned.  I want to thank Far Away Eyes at Far Away Series for coming up with the Battle of the Bands as a participatory blog event.  Her simple idea has brought some amount of joy and entertainment to at least a few of us bloggers.  Be sure to visit her blog and thank her for what she inspired and add a word of encouragement to her while you're there visiting.  We all like to have some encouragement now and then.   I know I do.

       An additional word of appreciation is directed to Stephen T. McCarthy at Battle of the Bands which is the official Battle of the Bands blog page where you can find the participant list and other helpful info about the Battle event.  While FAE provided the inspiration, STMcC provided the drive and direction to get BOTB underway and keep it focused.  Don't forget to drop by his blog as well and say "Hello" and "Thank you".

        These bloggers are both winners in my eyes.   They took a good idea and have stayed with it for going on three years now.  Their idea has taken hold with several bloggers besides me and continues to grow.  Hope you think as highly of them as I do.

This Week's Battle of the Bands Winner

        My most recent Battle was between versions of the song "Look for a Star" as interpreted by Garry Mills with a traditional pop vocal rendition and Carlos Campos and His Orchestra with a Latin instrumental version.  As is becoming a common statement among us Battle participants, this one took me by surprise.

        With its catchy pop sound with a pleasing vocal, I figured the Garry Mills version, which came from the 1960 film Circus of Horrors, would run away with a resounding win.   I was reasonably certain that Carlos Campos would get a few votes, but nowhere near what made the race as close as it was .

          If I were to cast my vote for the Campos version--one which I liked very much for reasons explained in the original Battle post--this contest would be a tie.  However, probably coming as no surprise to those who read all of my past three posts, the original Garry Mills version retains my heart and that is where my vote goes.  Without my vote, Mills would still have won, but my vote puts him ahead just a bit more.

Final Tally:

Garry Mills          16 Votes

Carlos Campos    14 Votes

Stay Tuned for another Battle of the Bands!

      Next Battle of the Bands post will be on Monday June 1st.  My upcoming Battle will be making a statement of sorts and will actually begin with a preliminary post on Friday May 31st.  I'll be discussing a topic that I've brought up before, but one that I continue to think about--yes, my obsessive mind at work I guess.  But this Battle will also reflect part of my philosophy about Battle of the Bands as well as everything else I do.  I hope you'll be here for these posts!

          Do you ever feel like I obsess on topics on my blog or do you see me as niche blogging at times?     Did you enjoy my posts related to "Look for a Star" and Circus of Horrors?    Based on the clue provided above, any guess as to what my next song pick will be?

27 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lee! You aren't the only one surprised by the final vote count. I was sure that the hit version by Garry Mills would sweep the competition. Surely you and I adopted that mindset because we both saw Circus of Horrors as kids and became anchored to that theme song. People who never saw the movie were able to experience the contest with greater objectivity and that allowed a good number of them to appreciate the Carlos Campos interpretation.

    I look forward to your next battle, Lee. Have a safe and happy weekend, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I was seeing the contest through my eyes which is what I typically do. And I didn't think there would be that much support for a Latin flavored version. Seeing that this matter of the Latin sound was not a problem gives me some hope for upcoming Battles that I have planned.

      Thanks for your perspective on this Battle.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I think you follow your heart. That's a good thing ♥
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I usually prefer the concept of reason and following my mind, but the heart always should have some say in the matter.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Loved the battle, and I look forward to June's.
    Are you obsessive about music? I hope so! It certainly has helped me to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie, music has been one of the biggest influences in my life and my dreams. Yes I am somewhat obsessive, though not to the extent that I used to be.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Rats, something happened to my comment, or so your blog says.

    I like the Battle of the Bands posts. It provides variety for me since I mainly follow fellow writers. I don't go a normal day without listening to music. I grew up with musicians in my family.

    Question (off-topic): How did you get the social media buttons on the bottom of each post? I can't find the gadget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, the social media buttons are a handy tool to have after your posts. Here is how to do it:
      1) Click on "Design"
      2) Click on "Layout"
      3) Go to the Blog posts box and click "Edit"
      4) You should get an options box to "Configure Blog Posts"
      5) Scroll down to click the "Show Share Buttons" box.
      6) Scroll down to click "Save"
      7) After the "configure" box disappears don't forget to click "Save Arrangement" at top of the page.
      8) Your share buttons should now be at the bottom of the posts. If not then you need to go back to repeat the process in case you missed a step or did something wrong.

      Hope this works for you!

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I've been trying to figure it out since you mentioned it.

      Delete
  5. ARLEE BIRD (aka LE[E]ONARD?) ~

    First, I want to thank you for the mention. That was very, very kind of you, my flying friend.

    Not to seem argumentative or disputing, but I don't think of my blog page as being "official" or "the authorized version" or anything like that. I'm not the BOTB dictator or anything like that. I'm merely the dictator of my own little blog and I operate it as I see fit.

    Although, yes, I picked up on FAE's one-off idea and convinced her to turn this into an actual recurring Blogfest, working out the details such as dates, and creating the "dueling guitars" advertising image (aren't you glad it wasn't "Dueling Banjos"?), I now feel that BOTB has kind of taken on a life of its own and it sort of runs itself now.

    I like it like that (now there's an old song reference for ya, eh?) Because this way, I can just run my BOTB blog pages and competitions the way I prefer and others can do what they like with theirs.

    >>... Based on the clue provided above, any guess as to what my next song pick will be?

    Yeah, I think I know, LE(E)ONARD, and I'll be voting for (Link:->) THIS one. The transition from ballad to rocker isn't as smooth as it should be, but I still prefer this cover to the original.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, well your blog is as "official" as anything since it's the place where we can find the most info about participants. Even FAE directs her readers to your blog for more info.

      I agree that now the event kind of has a life of its own, but it's always good to have a go to place where we can get oriented. I use your sidebar list to see who's posted--it's my go to place.

      Well, you're taking a cue from a comment that I left on your blog, but no that's not the song. I like Wynona and I like what she does with the song. I can see how you might have derived that song from my clue above.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Lee, thank you very much for the kind words about myself and especially, BATTLE OF THE BANDS. It was a goofy idea of mine and would never have come to fruition without the encouragement of StMc and for that I am grateful.

    We decided from the beginning to run this thing pretty loose, but I do consider him the 'Official BOTB Site' It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it and better him than me. Ha, ha, ha! The main thing is that everybody have fun with it. I am truly heartened to hear that it means so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again I hit that publish button too soon.

      You present some interesting music at your BATTLES. some of it I like a whole lot and some not so much, but hey we each have our individual tastes. At least I learn something.

      I DO really like the way you manage to tie your BOTB posts into other things that you have planned/going on in your blogging calendar. I really did enjoy how you tied these two Blog Hops together. Please, keep up the good fun stuffs.

      Delete
    2. FAE, I'm glad you said that STMcC has the "Official BOTB Site" so now I feel justified in having said it.

      I really do enjoy Battle of the Bands since it gives me an excuse to post about the music I like. And sometimes even music I don't like so much--actually I can't think of anything I've posted that fits that bill, but I guess I could post about music I didn't like if I wanted to.

      Lee

      Delete
    3. And thanks for the addendum. I try to milk BOTB for all I can and make it more inclusive for those who are as thrilled about it as we might be.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. So the Battle of the Bands blog looks crazy fun. Guess I'll have to participate sometime.

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolie, if you're a music fanatic like me and others who participate, you might enjoy trying it. I'm addicted!

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I share this obsession/passion for music with you, Lee and also write about it a lot. Can't tell you how thrilled I was to become a participant of BOTB last week and look forward to many more! Glad to know your favourite won. My choice was the Carlos Campos version, because that Cha Cha beat was so irresistible and I'm not really a huge fan of early 60s pop. Then again, I don't remember the movie - probably makes a difference. Your battles are always so interesting and you include different genres, which makes them even more fun. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, the Campos version was tempting for me because it brought back so many memories of music my mother used to love. Glad you had fun in your first round of Battle and I'm sure you'll be coming up with some interesting picks in the future.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I say, write what you enjoy because then people who read your posts will enjoy it too. You show a love and passion so nothing wrong with that I say. If I had to guess it would be something to do with the Olympics and running. I love old photos and just look how they were dressed for the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I agree about writing what I enjoy. My next song pick will have nothing directly to do with the Olympics or running, but your comment does close in on the answer.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Your battle was close too! I don't know that I'd say you are niche blogging because you still write about things other than music but since music is such a part of who you are, it naturally follows that you'd often blog about it. I found it really fun to write about music after my A-Z theme so I can see where one could get hooked on musical postings...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, my musical posts are probably too general to put me in any niche. I still claim the name "Eclectic Blogger".

      Lee

      Delete
  11. BoTB is a great idea evidenced by all of the folks who are now participating!!!

    Close battle, Lee. I'm glad Mills won it, but obviously it was a tight race!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, thank you for the mention over at Wrote By Rote. That was sweet of you. I should've told you that when I left my comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, just about everyone who starts doing BOTB stays with it. You know how fun it is. I probably should have mentioned to you that I had mentioned you in my post. I've not come up with any Soundtrack posts yet, but you got me to remembering events.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. It was a great battle! Looking forward to start joining the BOTB on June 1. Making my way around on the A to Z Road trip! Stopping by to say hello and I hope to see you again next year, if not sooner!

    Mary
    www.JingleJangleJungle.net

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee