How to be Happy
Alex J Cavanaugh passed the How to be Happy in 5 Easy Steps Meme to me. I guess Alex doesn't think there's enough happiness on my blog so I'm happy to play along on this one.
So for this week's "Ask Arlee" installment, the question is:
How do you stay so ebulliently happy?
Seriously though, despite my sometimes cynical sounding controversial topics, I'm a happy guy. I may not always seem to exude happiness, but the truth is that I'm often just deeply absorbed in thought and my mind is far away. On the inside I am a carnival full of fun and cotton candy. The side you may not see is the circus filled with clowns and jugglers. Yeah, happy, happy, happy! That's me. And I'm serious.
Here are my tips on keeping basically happy:
- Don't Worry-- I try my best to follow the advice given in Matthew 6:34: do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
- Recognize My Blessings--I've got so much to be thankful for and it's best to appreciate what I have and not be discontent for what I don't have.
- Keep Hope--It's okay to keep dreaming for a better tomorrow and to stay optimistic. Without hope the future looks pretty bleak.
- Treasure My Family and Friends-- I have a better chance at happiness as long as I have these treasures rather than a bunch of material stuff.
- Stay Faithful to God--Even if friends, family, and material possessions are gone, God is there for me and brings me joy.
That's my formula for happiness. What's yours?