This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eroica: The Day That Changed Music Forever



Beethoven - Eroica:  The Day That Changed Music Forever (2004)
 featuring the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique



         Next Monday June 21 is the Movie Dirty Dozen Blogfest hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh.  If you like movies and would like to sign up there is a Linky list below this post.  My post today is about a favorite movie of mine that I will not be including on my list because it was originally released as a BBC Television movie and I am only going to list theatrical releases.  Also on my list I have decided not to include any films less than 20 years old.  Nevertheless, since I am focusing on classical music this week, I wanted to share my Amazon review of this film which I hold in high esteem.


On one hand I would say if you like action, straightforward plot, special effects, and in-your-face acting and you don't like classical music then stay away, far away from this movie. On the other hand, maybe this is exactly what you need a dose of. In my book, this is one of the finest movies I have seen. The complete performance of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony--"Eroica" or "the Heroic" symphony-- is enough to recommend it. However, the acting, direction, editing, and cinematography are of the highest caliber. There is minimal dialogue, however the actors convey their emotions wordlessly as they react to the music of the master. If you love Beethoven, you should love this movie. But if you can appreciate life and what it is to be human and the continual march of history and change, then this movie should stir you within. Give this one a chance. Go to "Eroica" expecting to hear a symphony and then listen closely. A film for the ages, food for the soul.

         Have you seen any of the movies about Beethoven, such as this one, Immortal Beloved, or Copying Beethoven?   What did you think of them?  Do you tend to avoid classical music?  If so why?  If you think classical music is boring, why so?  Please don't be afraid to express your opinion as I am trying to understand the appreciation of classical music by the general music listening audience.  I am currently doing research about music education and I would truly appreciate any help you can give me on this.

        Oh, and don't forget our little mini-blog event on Wednesday June 16 (tomorrow if you're reading this today on the day it was posted).  10 Favorite Drinkin' songs and 10 Favorite Drivin' songs-- the Linky list is at the top of the sidebar if you'd like to join us.










12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Lee. I have not seen any Beethoven films but saw the one on Liszt, I am going to review films I mostly seen many years ago as I don't go to the cinema. Hope Alex won't mind my choice, I do see films on TV.
    It was sad only you and I took part yesterday, have already got my drink and drive songs ready to post.
    Love this music that is playing,
    O by the way heard yesterday my Nashville trip will almost certainly be Feb. next year.

    Enjoy your day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...it looks like I've been missing some great stuff over here at your blog Lee. I will have to get better at visiting, yours and others...I have been busy with our little Benjamin!

    I love classical music and wish I wouldn't have missed the posts yesterday, but I will be around to visit them. My favorite song EVER happens to be a classical piece by Pahelbel...'Canon in D'.

    I play the piano and my favorite pieces to play are classical!

    Hope you are doing well, have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I will ever catch up with you Arlee. You are amazing. And your taste in music and movie is so vast. I had never watched a Beethoven movie except Beethoven the dog and I think there is music on classical music on it but I can't remember what.

    That is with classical, we enjoy it but without lyrics, we could not distinguish it. We meaning me :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen those movies. They sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvonne-- I'm also going to be listing only movies older than 20 years. I could easily list 12 from the last several years, but I like to go with works that are time tested. Gosh, another year to wait for your trip! They should have everything back in order by then.

    Trudy-- You have your hands full, I know. Hope you're playing classical music for little Benjamin. I've heard that it makes kids more intelligent.

    Ocean Girl -- You should try to start learning about classical music little by little. Try Schubert or Rachmaninoff-- they wrote some beautiful and relaxing pieces.

    Debbie -- If you like Beethoven you should check them out. If you don't know about Beethoven, they are all good, but I would probably recommend Immortal Beloved the most because it tells the best story and gives the best selection of music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Classical music in a movie doesn't scare me!
    And thanks for the reminder about tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of that one.

    And as you'll see in my movie post next Monday, I like a good score in a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee, you are going to think I live outdoors, without plumbing or that my elevator doesnt go all the way to the top floor. But let me say three things:

    1) I am not a fan of most classical music. Unless it is quiet, soothing, and done with piano. Most of it gets my heart racing and makes me tired.

    2) Second, I didn't even know anyone made movies of Beethoven, so I have to say no to your question, have I ever seen any Beethoven movies? I have see Beethoven that big St Bernard, I use to have Roll over Beethoven.

    3) I thought that Don McLean said music was changed forever the day Buddy Holly died.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom often played classical records when we were little - and my sister and I both learned several when we took piano lessons. I use some classical music in my classroom.

    Yet, even though I enjoy much of it, I don't always notice it. I couldn't tell you one composer from another and they are SO different. I know what I like when I hear it, but I don't know who it is. Ever.

    I am so NOT a detail person. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love classical music and Beethoven is my absolute favorite. His 6th symphony in particular is my favorite piece of music. I have seen Copying Beethoven. I was completely moved by the movie and the suspense while the 9th symphony was performed for the first time defies logic if you are an action movie lover. Nonetheless, I highly recommend the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually Arlee, I never thought about a movie about Beethoven. But then he is not one of my favorite composers.
    Yeah, I know that I am weird!
    But I would be willing to watch the movie just for histories sake!
    I am still disappointed with you for not mentioning Chopin! LOL!!!
    Really I enjoy your posts as they are very intellectually stimulating, unlike mine! Thanks Arlee!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alex -- there's a lot of classical music used in the movies. See you for the Drinkin' and Drivin' list.

    Diane -- Looking forward to everyone's movies.

    Gregg-- You should check out Immortal Beloved-- it is an awesome movie and I liked Eroica even better. I'm not sure you've really listened to classical music very closely. Check out some of the early church music like that of Bach or Handel's "Messiah". Now that's great Christian music.

    Jemi -- Appreciation comes with being educated about something. But I don't guess I need to tell you that.

    Marjorie -- If you liked Copying Beethoven you should really check out the others. In my opinion they were even better.

    Diana -- Like I keep saying, check out the Beethoven movies. If you learn more about the composer and the music I think you would like his music better.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee