This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Taking a Chance on Love (#BOTB)

 

Step right up and play the game!   If you don't take a chance you don't win a prize...






Taking Chances

         Life is filled with opportunities which in themselves are filled with chances.  We don't know for sure what will happen unless we try to pursue our dreams.  Any dream has the potential of failure, but the reward of success should be the focus of our purpose in life. If we enjoy what we are doing and think that our endeavors can be fruitful then we should push forward.  We will have to take some chances.

         In my previous Battle I debuted "Let's Run"--a song that I had written and, with a lot of help from my friends, managed to get three different recordings made.  The response from my comment section was favorable to very nice so that gave me a better feeling about the risk I took in releasing these songs on YouTube.  Eventually I hope to get some even better recordings and do something with the song.

         Since childhood, music has been a bit of a passion for me.  Writing songs is something that inspires me and helps me to think more creatively.  Music has been something I've taken chances with before in other stages of my life.  Now that I'm being drawn back to music, I might as well be prepared to take some more chances...


Battle of the Bands


     Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

Taking a Chance on Love

         The current Battle is actually a sort of a part two of my Battle from May 15th of this year.   In prefacing that Battle I told about how I'd seen an episode of The Jack Benny Show that featured Frankie Avalon singing a song mash-up that had initially confused me.  At first I thought it was one song, but I couldn't decide what the song was.  Then I realized that Avalon's rendition was a clever blending of "I'll Never Say 'Never Again' Again" (which I used in that May Battle) and "Taking a Chance on Love" (which is the song I am featuring today).

        "Taking a Chance on Love" first appeared in the all-black cast musical Cabin in the Sky.  The stage play was later turned into a film which is where the video clip below came from.  In fact, both video clips in this Battle are musical shorts that were shown between films shown in the theater.  These would be the predecessors of the music videos like we more frequently see today.

         The two videos present a rather stark contrast, but both are quite good in their own ways.  But you be the judge:   Which performance of the song do you like best?  and Which short film do you like the best?

         Take a listen and do tell...


June Christy   "Taking a Chance on Love"  (1950)

       Jazz singer June Christy started in the big band era and for a few decades was active in the cool jazz genre.  Though she had the chops as a singer, she never achieved the recognition that maybe she should have.  In her final stage appearance in 1988 she shared the stage with the legendary Chet Baker.  Here she is with a pretty decent band of players...





Ethel Waters    "Taking a Chance on Love"  (1943)

         You might have seen "Cabin in the Sky" on TCM as it is shown often.  The film has a great cast and wonderful musical numbers like "Taking a Chance on Love."  One of my favorites in the film is Eddie "Rochester" Anderson who was Jack Benny's sidekick for many years. By the way, if you are a fan of Jack Benny like I am, reruns of his show are often played on Jewish TV (it's some cable network that I get on Direct TV).  Just thought I'd drop that bit of info, but let's get on to the song...








Time to Vote!

       
There's no right or wrong answers here so take a chance and vote.  What's your favorite between these two choices? Which song version do you like best? Which film clip do you prefer?  You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

         Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.



Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Angel's Bark  


Debbie Doglady's Den

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside



Winner of this Battle Announced on Monday September 24th

      That gives you an extra couple days to vote.  No excuses this time!  If I get anymore personal song updates I'll be dropping them here.  In the meantime, I'm waiting...

        What was the biggest chance you ever took?  When did you fully expect success only to be countered with not-so-successful outcomes?   How much do the outside voices hinder the inner voice of your dreams?  









     
     

49 comments:

  1. Ethel Waters' voice wins it for me.
    Not a big risk taker, so not sure what the biggest one was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, and there was a guitar!

      First vote goes to Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. What a delight to see 'Rochester' again! :) Nevertheless, June Christy gets my vote. Why? Tho' I can't recall this song specifically, I'm transported back to my parent's home … those huge LP'[s waiting to drop onto the player.

    Your questions? The biggest chance I've ever taken? -- Far too personal to speak of. Expecting success? Even at my 'advanced age' I believed it would be far easier to discover employment. 'Outside voices'? Thank God, mine have finally sat down and shut up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, I grew up with Rochester on The Jack Benny. I remember hearing the song through the years though I'm not sure there was ever a record in our house with the song on it.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with this song, but sometimes that makes it easier to cast the vote, as it it truly unbiased.

    I'm voting for June Christy. She just appealed to me more.

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I hear you about the prejudging thing--I often do it.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. These are two great performers by two incredibly talented chanteuses. The Ethel Waters version, with Rochester and John William Sublett's dancing, was wonderful, as you would expect.

    But June Christy... wow. I think I fall in love with her every time I hear her, and damn, this swings! Cast my vote for June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you've expressed my reaction to this Battle.

      Another vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I've taken many risks... moved many times and tried new jobs. Publishing is a risk, but one I enjoy. Glad you took the risk for one of your passions. We gain nothing if we don't try. I would rather try than not try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, moving always involves some element of uncertainty as does going into any new situation. If we aren't taking risks then we're not living.

      Might as well try things as opportunities arise.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I've taken some big leaps of faith in my life and they all worked out. Moving from Cape Cod to San Francisco, then 10 years later moving to the Tacoma WA area, and in 2011 divorcing my husband of 22 years and moving back to Cape Cod to be with Russell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, you and I have shared some very similar life experiences.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. LEE ~
    A nice ol' song. Start with a classic and you're halfway to a good BOTB already.

    When the Ethel Waters version started, I thought I'd prefer her take on the song, but as it continued I came to realize that I preferred the pace set by JUNE CHRISTY. Also, it seemed more like a song than a "show".

    I enjoyed both, but definitely lean more toward JUNE.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I guess the Waters version does seem like a show, but it is a clip from a show. But I hear you. I'm torn between these two versions.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I take lots of risks in terms of life-direction and money, and very few in terms of physical danger. I avoid heights, rock climbing, cliff diving, hang gliding, (and the lows of) scuba diving and spelunking, etc. But I like driving fast, riding motorcycles and quads. I avoid play craps at curbside in Watts or East LA and Detroit. The risk/reward ratio is not high enough.

    Of these two versions, I am partial to June. Her voice is way better... though the contortions of her mouth bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-Gun, I've never been a daredevil, and there were a lot of risks that I maybe should have taken. Oh well.

      I had to go back to watch June's mouth carefully and I rather enjoyed it.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Ethel Waters gets my vote her version was more playful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Lee, this is a great one! Two fine voices, equally able and two different genres. Love them both! But...

    There's something about Ethel Waters that just speaks to me, especially when I see here actually singing a song. Her facial expresssions say so much! It's like pure, childlike joy and the words of the song seem reflected in the way she delivers -- in a personal way. She knows just what the songwriter was talking about when he wrote this song.

    My biggest chance? Allowing myself to love my dear Hubzam. A lesson for all...go for it. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. What if I had gone with my original, gut response of "NO-NOT-ME-NEVER-AGAIN?" That would have been tragic. I think God was watching out for me.

    A VOTE FOR ETHEL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, marriage is a big chance to take for anyone. I've had two gone wrong and hopefully my current one will be my last.

      I like your explanation for your vote.

      Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Oops! I was looking ahead at the next comment. Sorry about that!

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I vote for good ole Ethel with her thin but fantastic voice and, of course, I love the film. Good old Ethel was, apparently, not the nicest of people and was quite the diva on set and was very jealous of Lena Horne. Chances....hmmmm....I’m not like my mom who defied the border guards and could have been shot so I always relate to my mom and my dad who threw caution to the wind. I took a chance in love and, today, is my 12th anniversary with my hubby. Some are so blessed to be with their partner for 40 or 50 yrs but my parents only had 27 years together but they were glorious both the good and the bad...and even the ugly. One dumb chance I took was back in 1982 when I was on a bus in no-man’s land between Hungary and Austria. I took out my camera to take a picture of the guard in the tower(I didn’t understand the German language saying not to do this) and when the guard pointed his machine gun at me, the colour ran out of my face and I pointed to a bunny rabbit that I happened to see near me. They never did take my camera so I think the guard was having fun with me knowing I was a dumb twit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, having a gun pointed at you can't be very much fun and is my idea of a poor joke.

      Another vote for Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I'm voting for Ethel Waters too - I think it's extra clever to be able to sing and act at the same time, although I suppose singers are actors in general when they're on stage. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, I think the best singers are actors as well. Same for dancers.

      A vote for Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I was one of many who has downloaded you from You Tube Arlee. Good luck with future songs.

    I like the June Christy's

    Yvonne.
    version of Taking a Cance On Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, thank you for your support of so many years now.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Lee,

    I have an appointment I need to hurry to this morning but I'll be back later to answer your questions. For now, let me cast my vote for June Christy! I prefer her vocal style the best this morning. :) TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown?--I look for you're return and your revealing of who you are.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Taking a risk on anything, but especially love, is always scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I've risked and kind of lost a couple of times, but there were good results as well.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. OMG! Ethel Water's version! Full of soft crooning and shy glances. The video also is so entertaining! I wish I could vote a thousand times for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, sorry, only one vote per person, but a thousand is quite a recommendation.

      A vote for Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Susan K, sincere or good acting.

      A vote for Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Darla, thank you for giving us your vote...

      Ethel Waters.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. Lee,

    I came by first thing yesterday to vote before I had to rush off to my appointments but I don't see my comment. *scratch head* Sure, I hit the "PUBLISH" button before skirting off, right? Hmmm, who knows what happened but I'm glad I kept my word in my absent comment to come back to respond to your questions posed but first let me to vote again. :) I'm going with June Christy in this battle. Her contender did a great job but I over prefer Christy's vocals.

    Now for your questions....

    What was the biggest chance you ever took? I don't know that I thought about it being the biggest chance ever but I guess in retrospect it was and that's getting married. I knew from the beginning DH is my soulmate and our commitment has been very solid from the start (1979). But, we were also very, very young. He was a month short of his 20th birthday and I was just 17.5 years old. We were babies with so much more learning and growing to go but thankfully, we did it together. It could've gone the other way like so many others but God kept held us together like glue. He deserves all the credit because I know it's nothing special that we did other than keeping Him at the center of our world.

    When did you fully expect success only to be countered with not-so-successful outcomes? I'd have to say raising kids. I thought for sure I'd do everything more superior than anyone else but parenting isn't a foolproof thing and it's definitely a trial by fire experience. You can instruct your children how to live but once they begin exercising their opinions and implementing their will then everything you teach them tend to go right out the window. That's when anyone of us feel like we're not successful. That's where I am the last few years, watching from the side life biting my kids' rear because they refused to heed advice. I think in time things will shape up better. It's just getting to that point that breaks a mother's heart.

    How much do the outside voices hinder the inner voice of your dreams? I think I hinder myself more than others, especially when I was younger. Self-doubting and fear of failure are two dream crushers. Wouldn't it be grand to sweep these flaws out of your life?

    I'm sorry for the slow return visit. Being away on the weekend from Blogosphere and then having appointments all day yesterday has me running about like a chicken without a head more so than usual. Anywho, thanks for joining me on Saturday. Have a grand week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cathy, I got your vote as posted by "Unknown"--I figured it was you at the time and now it's confirmed.

    Marriage is a big change for most of us. So often it doesn't work out as hoped. I've found this out a couple times now.

    I'm still plagued by the voices of fear of failure and self-doubt. I think most all of us experience this roadblock in our lives.

    Thanks for coming back to answer the questions (and confirm who "Unknown" was).

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,

      Oh good, I'm glad you figured out my blunder! I think I know what happened. I had signed out of my regular gmail account and into another. I bet I that's why you didn't know who I was at first but that email probably gave you a hint. :) Gee, I'm glad it wasn't anything embarrassing. I can't tell you the number of times I've sent a text to one of my children even someone I barely know that was meant to go to DH. Let's just I got lucky! lol Well...I did send a text to one of my children's friends (a man) thinking it was going to one of my kids and I referred to the recipient as 'Sweetie'. Oh boy, was I all red-faced when he replied wrong person! I think I need to have my head checked or stop the multi-tasking because I don't do it very well. My battle results will go live on Monday morning. Have a good weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  21. Not sure on chance, as if I want something I just do it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But I try.

    #1 gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I think whatever we do we take chances. Just getting out of bed in the morning you're taking a chance that you're going to survive another day.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  22. Hmmm. Tough one this time around since both are pretty mild. I'll go with June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, I'm going back and forth on this one.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  23. Hi Lee,
    Loved the iconic Barbie & Ken dolls greeting us at the beginning! Taking chances: I've always been one to take chances. Except I rarely take chances in love. I learned a long time ago that my heart is just too fragile for that stuff. I guess the biggest chance I've ever taken was leaving a solid and successful career to open a bar, a business I had no real experience in other than being on the other side of one...
    Fortunately it paid off and it was a lot of fun for a few years...until I got bored and moved onto something else. You've heard my story before so no need to go into it. But I'm pretty sure that was the biggest risk I ever took.

    As for your battle: I really like both versions. Although I'm not well-versed in all things Dinah Shore, June Christy reminds me of her. I liked her vocals but I more appreciated the band. That was some groovy swing, especially the cello. I love a cello! The folks playing cello always seem to really dig playing it. And I think there was a clarinet. I'm not up on identifying all instruments but I'm pretty sure it was a clarinet.

    I enjoyed the Ethel Waters version. Her vocals were nice and it appeared that she really enjoyed singing the song. I more enjoyed the dance numbers.

    In the end, my vote is going to June Christy.
    This was a nice way to start my morning...
    Have a good weekend,

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, a career choice often is one of our biggest chances that we take. But a marital or some similar relationship is huge and can be devastating when it falls apart.

      A vote for June Christy.

      Lee

      Delete
  24. One thing I noticed right away is they are both happy, happy singers(lol) I love music from that era, but I love the clothing from the 1st video with Ms. Christy and the way the song is song with Ethel Waters. This is super fun! Happy Friday and Hugs! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RO, Happy would equate with showmanship in my book. Happiness is typically more entertaining than sadness or some negative emotion.

      I'm not sure if it was a vote, but I'm calling tis one for Ethel Waters since this is mainly about the music.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee