This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Eres (#BOTB)


I hate hate, but sometimes love gets overly hyped and I don't like that.  Love is not a box of chocolates.  



English: A swedish box of chocolates called &q...
 A swedish box of chocolates called "Paradis"
  (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Oh, by the way--have you found any good post-Valentine's candy on sale?   I love those mark-downs...


Post-Valentine Blues

        This week I've been seeing a lot of posts about love songs.  I'd already made my mind up not to use a love song for this Battle.  I had a completely different theme in mind, but then I thought it better to postpone that post until next time and succumb to the love bug.  After all, love is everywhere these days.  At least in the stores until the leftovers are put on clearance to make way for Easter.  I guess love wins again.

         There are love songs in every language.  Love is universal and so is music.  And love makes you want to sing--or at least hear the music all around.  I've been in the lowlands of late so nothing like a couple of doses of love to pick me up.  Anyone in the mood for Mexican?

Battle of the Bands

Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.

Eres (You Are)

        The love song for this Battle was originally done by the group Café Tacuba, an immensely talented eclectic band from Mexico.  Among my favorite bands, I saw them in concert in 2000 at a theater in Anaheim.  "Eres" comes from their album Cuatro Caminos which won the 2003 Grammy for Best Latin Rock/Alternative Album.  If you don't mind the Spanish, this group is well worth checking out.

        Please don't vote on their version, but if you want to listen as a matter of reference their version can be heard here.   

         And now let the contest begin!


Elafrojack  "Eres"  (2013)

         Jack Vargas aka "Elafrojack" hails from Columbia.  I didn't find much about him other than he has a fairly wide social media presence and several YouTube music videos.  I know right off that some of you might not like his heavy metal approach in his cover, but for others this might be just the thing that makes you vote for his version.






Nathalia Campos "Eres" (2017)

        Nath Campos is from Mexico City. Her father is a song writer and music producer. She gives "Eres" a smoother more romantic touch.






Time to Vote!

    
    Hope you'll give these two song versions a chance.   What's your style preference between these two choices? 
  Which song version do you like best?   You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.  
       

        Please vote on your favorites by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ 

 'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 



Winner of this Battle Announced on Wednesday February 21st

      Be watching the Blogging from A to Z Challenge site for announcements about April.  A sign up list will be appearing soon as well as information about the upcoming event.   Don't miss the Battle results post on Tossing It Out next Wednesday. 

       Hasta luego amigos!








39 comments:

  1. Elafrojack hands down! Not sure about the singing, but the music was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'm not surprised by your vote.

      Voting starts off with Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. On a totally different topic.....I haven't heard you mention A-Z at all this year. Are you doing it? Is there even one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, you must have missed my closing statement on this post with my redirect to the A to Z Blog. A to Z is on its way and you'll be seeing more at the A to Z Blog.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Yes I definitely missed it! lol

      Delete
  3. Lee,

    WOW, you put two different mewsical genres up! The heavy metal group did a fabulous job. On any other day I might go with contender #1 but then you went and pitted them against the soft, feminine vocals of no. 2 which makes me think 'love song'. Naturally, I gotta go with what moves me and so, I'm voting for Nath Campos! Thanks for the heads up on A-Z. I'm going back and forth on what to do, how to handle the April challenge, etc. It'll be interesting to see what I do in the end. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, you and I were on a similar wavelength again as we put up contrasting styles for our Battles.

      A first vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Well, LEE, this one was "like eating bread" for me. (A Biblical expression meaning "very easy" and perhaps the inspiration for the expression "a piece of cake". You probably already knew that though.)

    I got as far as one-minute into the first recording and then clicked the "Make It Stop" button.

    For what it is, I guess it was done competently enough. But -- sheesh! -- that sound style is just so old and so tired by now. Hell, I think that "typical Heavy Metal" sound was already trite and ready to put out to pasture before the decade of the '80s even ended. It's been long past time to move on from that boring pounding and unoriginal guitar work.

    NATHALIA CAMPOS gets my vote. At least it sounds like a 'Love Song' in her recording. Aside from that, just the name "Campos" recalls to mind good memories of Campos Burritos, out there in your neck of the woods.

    The beef and cheese burritos and the chile relleno burritos I pretty much lived on from about 1981 through 1985. Perfect "2:00 AM Got-A-Drunk-On-And-The-Bars-Are-Closed" food! Give their chile relleno burrito a try. Muy delicioso!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, some people like some things while other people like others. It's that old mystery of tastes, but if all the world were the same I guess things would get predictable beyond any reason to pay attention to anything around us. I still like some heavy metal, but I don't listen to any one type of music on a constant basis.

      A burrito is sounding good to me right now, but so is a cheeseburger.

      A vote for Nath Campos

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Interesting selection. And no, I don't have any problem listening to music in foreign languages. I do so quite frequently. First of all, I'm not sure I would have classified Elafrojack as heavy metal. I tend to think of that type of music as screaming music. I found the song more of a harder rock variety. Yes, I do think there is a distinction. Personally, I didn't mind the version so much. In fact, in another sort of mood I may even enjoy it. Does that mean I have not selected his version for the win? Well, let's review the version from Nathalia Campos. It's softer, it's more melodic, and she's cute as well. I agree, that shouldn't affect my choice is song preference, but it's my vote and I'll use it the way I see fit. Personally, I wouldn't mind finding more music from her.
    So yes, I plan to give my vote to Nathalia. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey, like a lot of music the heavy metal genre has its sub-genres and different approaches. Some I like while others I don't care for. But I do understand your reasoning in making your choice.

      A vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Some great guitar playing in the first one, but I didn't like the singer. Nathalia has a very nice voice and, while I didn't understand a word she was singing, it was easier to pick her voice out of the background. So Nathalia gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nathalia, definitely. the lyrics are Eres are all about devotion to the one you love (went to a translation). She is true to the lyrics while Jack is focused on the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, I think the lyrics are very nice--the song could almost be a reverent hymn to God with a few changes in wording. Glad you took the time to read the translation.

      A vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Of course I will go with Nathalia because it is easier on my ears:) I agree with what Susan says(above)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I know what you mean about music being easier on the ears. I usually don't rock out like I used to when I was younger.

      Another vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lee,

    Interesting battle. I have to admit that when I saw the name of the song, I first thought of THIS SONG.

    While I thought the first guy was somewhat interesting, I really enjoyed Nathalia's version far better.

    My vote is for Nathalia.

    Stop on by my place for a drink if you haven't already

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I know the song of which you speak as well as some other songs called "Eres"--guess it's a pretty common theme.

      A vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Another unique and interesting battle!

    I like the original, but I liked the "El Afro" Jack dude a lot too. If you watch him closely, you'll see a great similarity of a young Mick Jagger. He mugs, turns sideways, pouts, grins, and well... just looks like him!

    My answer to McCarthy's complaint about "uniqueness" is: what about Nathalia's version/style was unique? Or even the original? No... ALL music now suffers from a lack or originality. With seven+ billion people in the world of whom five billion have the capability to immediately communicate with the others, with huge numbers of them creating music, with any of these people able to post music to be heard by all within minutes: new sounds are few and far between. Most "new" sounds (those outside of traditional forms) are simply not popular with enough people to get past massive critical rejection (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vZURdhucM).

    A vote for Jumpin' ElafroJack Flash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6Gun, I see that Jagger swagger--maybe it just has to do with attitude.

      Good point about the music and the subject of uniqueness. So true. And even with classical, jazz, and all other theme and variation type music we here repeated phrases, tropes, riffs, etc that occur in many pieces throughout musical history.

      The connection that we have with the familiar is the logical explanation.

      Good elucidating comment.

      A vote for Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. L.Diane, the first one would be...

      Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Elafrojack. I liked the music better. Now, if you were running a beauty contest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, no beauty contests on this site...

      A vote for Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Hi Lee.
    I actually enjoyed Elfrojack's version. I liked the guitar and I found the vocals cool. I would imagine that he has quite a social media following: he has the look and the charisma to garner a good fan base. Although I enjoyed it, Nath Campos version was far superior to my ears. She gets my vote hands down.

    Re: A-Z, I don't think I'll be participating again this year. For one thing, I have two groups of company coming that month: one staying for at least 2 weeks and the other for 1 week. I'm also having surgery (I fell and have two "massive full thickness tears" in my rotator cuff and not sure if I'll feel up to clicking around on the keyboard, being that I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks. Not sure yet when I'm having the surgery but it has to be before Memorial Day...
    Anyway, I've been wanting to do my Favorite One Hit Wonders from the 70s for the last two years and being that I won't be doing the April challenge, I think I might split up my A-Z favs over the 5 Mondays in April and get them out that way, with the Monday's Music Moves Me posts. I'm tired of sitting on these...
    That's my thought process as of now anyway...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I'm sure you'll do whatever works best for you so don't feel obligated. I totally get it.

      Another vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Elafrojack gets my vote! I like the rock a little better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I haven't counted, but I think this is turning into a good race.

      Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I vote Lee for Elatrojack. Good version.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, thank you for the vote...

      Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Elafrojack gets my vote! Love the heavy metal vibe. Spanish music is fabulous in every genre. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, seems like the rockers are coming in strong now...

      Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Christmas, Valentines, Easter: I think the chocolate factories just re-wrap all the left overs for the next holiday binge!

    I love the heavy metal; but for this song, I think the vocals fit better with the softer music. I'll vote for Nath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolorah, the supermarket where I shop seems to always have a seasonal candy section. I eat way too much candy.

      A vote for Nath Campos.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. #1 gets my vote. Not sure on his voice so much but it stuck with me more thanks to the guitar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, a vote is a vote...

      A vote for Elafrojack.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee