This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, September 1, 2017

The Flood (#BOTB)


           When our plans change, our world changes.  Then again, perspective makes the difference.

Things Change

          Like having to change horses in the middle of the flood, a technical problem forced me to use a different song in my Battle of the Bands post than I had originally intended to use.  And there was that flood in Houston.  I keep getting drawn back to the television to see what is going to happen next.  Ironic that a major natural disaster shifted some of the focus away from the nasty negative political scene.

          My silly little blogging glitch is so trivial compared to the catastrophic effects of Hurricane Harvey.   Since I live fifteen hundred miles from the problem, I am not directly threatened.  However, one of my daughters lives there with her family so I've been doubly concerned about the situation.  Fortunately their house made it through with no damage and they are scheduled to return to work on Tuesday.  Things are getting kind of back to normal--for some at least.

             To keep to the flood theme I've decided to use two songs with the word "flood" in their titles.  Hope you'll take a listen and then vote for your favorite.


Battle of the Bands




        Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle excepting over these summer months.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Take That  "The Flood"   (2010)

           I didn't recognize the title to this song when I first came across the following video, but as I listened I began to recognize the song as one I'd heard often.  Do you know this tune?   Take a listen and see what you think...




Jars of Clay  "Flood"  (1995)

           This song has gotten a lot of play in various places.  As an owner of several Jars of Clay albums I guess you could call me a fan.   This was one of the first "flood" songs that came to my mind...




Time to Vote!

    
    What do you think?  D
o you have a preference between these two choices?   Hopefully you have an opinion of some kind. Which version do you like the best?   You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

        Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts (though this round I might be the only one):

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ 

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 


Winner of this Battle Announced on Friday September 8th

       Sorry I've been a bit scarce of late.  But I guess I haven't been the only one who has been off-line more than usual.  I've been tempted to write posts on so many things.  Maybe there are too many.  For now, besides next Friday's BOTB winner announcement, I will be posting for Insecure Writer's Support Group next Wednesday.

          Are you a good improviser?  How do you usually cope with change in your life?   Do you have anyone in Houston?  Or are you in the region hit by Harvey?  







32 comments:

  1. Hope your family is safe in Houston Lee. I read and saw about it of course.

    I choose Take That version of The Flood.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, my Houston family is doing fine and looks like they'll continue to be that way in regard to Harvey.

      Starting the vote with Take That

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee - I'm glad to read your daughter and her family have got through the rain and storm without too much major damage. It's been and still is a difficult event for those in the south ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, my wife was so worried, but now things are calm. Still a lot for the Houstonians to do.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. The first song is pretty, but that Jars of Clay song is so iconic and familiar, I have to go with it instead.
    Glad your daughter and her family are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, iconic is a good word to use to describe the song.

      A vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Hello, LEE ~
    Hmmm.... Well, I'm not familiar with either of these songs or either of these groups. (Although I seem to think I remember that Jars Of Clay is a Christian group.)

    I did not at all care for the first song by Take That. It sounded to me like a whole lot of music I heard coming out of the radio and saw on MTV circa 1984 or '85. As you already know, I'm not a fan of that stuffs.

    The recording by Jars Of Clay I much preferred. It had a bit of an edge to it. Not exactly something I'd run out to buy, but between these two competitors, it was no contest to my ears.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I expected that you would probably not like these songs, but it was a last minute thing I quickly threw together. And I do like the songs so that works for me. And, yes, Jars of Clay is a Christian group who crossed over into the more pop realm.

      A vote for the edge of Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Yes, Jars of Clay is a Christian group and I love that song. My vote goes to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, I also think it's an excellent song.

      A vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Neither flood song snaps my socks, as Mary would say, but I'll choose Jars of Clay's over Take That's. Like Stephen says, it has more of an edge to it.

    I have acquaintances that I haven't spoken to in a long time in Houston, and I hope they're OK. They were consultants, so maybe they'vee moved on. Come to think of it, they worked with Continental Airlines, and they've merged with United, so Lord only know what's going on there. The other client I've visited there was Enron, and I think we all know what happened there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I would have taken you for a Jars of Clay fan as they do some pretty tasty music in my opinion. Houston is a big place with people coming and going on a regular basis. I know of several bloggers from there.

      A vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. When I first started reading this post, before I had completely scrolled down, I thought perhaps you were going to go with Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Texas Flood".

    I don't think I've heard either of these two songs before, but I do prefer the sound from Jars of Clay over Take That.

    Glad to hear your daughter and her family are safe. I have a few friends in Houston. One works for Houston Metro. She had signed up for a double shift the day of the hurricane, thinking that the bosses would send them all home early. It wasn't until she was bringing her bus back to the garage after the second shift that she got word to pack it in. Her complex was surrounded by water, but there was no damage to her apartment and her vehicles were all safe. She is finally back to work as of yesterday, but routes are limited. Another friend of mine lost her cousin in the flood. She was trapped in her car with her 2yr old. She was found half a mile from her car floating in the water. The child survived, but she was gone.

    It warms my heart to see everyone pull together with the rescue and relief efforts.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I certainly considered "Texas Flood", but honestly I don't like that song as much as the two I used. I've got to be in the right mood for the blues. I mean, the song is great and all, but not what I normally would listen to.

      So many stories coming from Texas, sad and heroic and everything between. The people have been tough so far, but they are going to have to maintain that resilience for a good time to come.

      A vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. It's soooo sad what's happened in Texas! I hope they get the help they need ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, it really has been sad, but many of the images and stories coming from the TV reports are pretty uplifting. I think everything will turn out fine.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I also am not familiar with these songs Lee - but anything to do with Flood is apt. Pleased to hear your daughter and family are fine and all positive thoughts for all hit by the Flood. The Jars of Clay gets my vote -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan S, Things have been looking up for the recovery, but they will have travails ahead.

      Another vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Like most others here, I'm not a big fan of the first one. Haven't heard it before, and I wouldn't say I dislike it, but I don't really like it, either. I remember Jars of Clay, though, and I like their tune, so give my vote to them.

    Personally, my pick for 'Flood' wouldn't be a song, but an album. They Might Be Giants - Flood. Solid nerd rock from cover to cover. Still listen to it to this day. Yep, I admit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABFTS, I used to have (and maybe still do somewhere) the cassette of that Giants album. I used to give that album a lot of play.

      A vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I liked the overall musical style of Take That better. I'm glad to hear your daughter and her family are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, seems like the Texas area hit by flood is bouncing back in a big way. They've got a long way to go so hopefully they'll keep up the positive spirit.

      A vote for Take That.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Great that your daughter and her family made it through with no damage.

    I liked #2 the best, so that gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, we were concerned about our daughter and her family and very relieved to know that they came out okay.

      Another vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad that your daughter and her family were unaffected by Harvey. I bet when it was making landfall and then the flooding starting, you must have been very nervous. What part of Houston are they in? As you know, I'm in Austin (3 hours away). We just got a ton of rain and some winds. I had a big tree limb break off and land in my neighbor's yard and some super minor stuff (lattice down, etc) but mostly it was the rain here. Made for a miserable weekend with the dogs but it's absolutely nothing compared to what the folks in Houston and the coastal towns are going through. It's heartbreaking to see the devastation and the loss of life. So much of the coverage on TV and online made me cry. Overwhelming sadness at what those people are going through. I can't even begin to imagine losing everything.

    As for your battle: very clever tie-in with Harvey! I liked both of your Flood songs. Both were new to me. I didn't recognize either one of them. I thought the first was very strong, a very powerful song. But then when I heard the Jars of Clay flood, I was pulled over to their side. That's a good song there! I like the nice blend of the divergent tempos: it was a treat, like getting a surprise every time the faster pace kicked in.
    My vote is going to Jars of Clay on this one.
    Nice job on finding songs to coincide with the storm.

    Again, really glad that your daughter wasn't in harm's way. I can only imagine how tough that would've been with you and your wife being so far away if things had been different.

    Hope you had an enjoyable Labor Day.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, my wife was a wreck for a few days. I figured there wasn't much of anything we could do but pray and hope for the best. My daughter lives south of Houston on the way to Galveston. They picked a good neighborhood to live in from the standpoint of flooding.

      Got your vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Lee,

    I'm glad to learn that your daughter, her family, and home escaped the horrid of Harvey. I can't image what it's like to live in place with hurricanes threatening life and property. God is good. We're certainly praying for the people in Houston and anyone else suffering Harvey's aftermath.

    Take That is a new-to-me group. Jars of Clay I'm familiar with, as well as their song "Flood". This one is hard for me. This was a tough one. I love the mewsic arrangement of "The Flood" - very moving and powerful but the lyrics didn't speak to me. Jars of Clay had the complete package matching mewsic & lyrics that moved me. Give my vote to Jars of Clay.

    I'm not sure I'm a good improviser but I try. Change is hard for anyone but when the change comes from something that's totally out of my hands I try to leave it in God's hands where I often times find the assurance needed to accept these changes. Sometimes it's difficult to let go of human tendencies but when ya do and lean completely on the Master then peace follows.

    No BoTB this time but I'll have one on the 15th and I'll probably do two next month unless something changes my mind. I'm undecided if I want to keep the regular schedule or just do one battle per month. We'll see. Have a good day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cathy, seems like things are coming back to somewhat normal in Houston. Now they'll have a lot of work to do in order to get back to more normal.

    I've learned to adapt to new situations and improvise in the face of the unexpected through the jobs that I've held. Management often requires coping with those unpredictable surprises of life.

    Another vote for Jars of Clay.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I very happy to hear your daughter and her family are safe and sound. I bet she knows many people who are not and she will feel those affects for a long time after. It is horrible what has happened but it is so nice to see all the help that is coming their way. I had to go with Take That because that would be the one I would listen to a bit more than the other. Actually neither did much for me but the first one got my vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I wouldn't want to be living in Houston, but I respect the way they've been dealing with everything so far.

      A vote for Take That.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. I don't think I've ever heard of the second one before, but I vote for JARS OF CLAY. I like the music better and maybe, since I'm not familiar with their song, I am more interested in it.

    Anyway, I hope your daughter's family stays safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JGF, thanks for the well wishes.

      A vote for Jars of Clay.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee