This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, August 1, 2016

Wings of Love (BOTB)


No Flying for Me

       If things are going according to schedule I'm now in Tennessee.  Though I may have been flying down the highways, my wheels (and my feet) have been planted firmly on the ground.  It's not that I don't like flying when I travel--actually I do enjoy the experience of flying.  It's the process that I don't like.

         Security and the entire hassle of getting to and through the airport before even getting on the plane is something I don't much enjoy.  I can deal with it all, but preferably I'd rather be behind the wheel of my van driving and enjoying the scenery and having the luxury of going where I want when I want and doing what I want to do when I want to do it.

           Planes can be so uncomfortable as well.   A long flight cramped into a small seating area is something I find unpleasant.  Now if I had a luxury jet to myself it would be grand.  I do enjoy looking down on the land as I pass over it.  Seeing the world from several thousand feet up can be rather spectacular.

           As long as I can make the trip across country driving in my own vehicle that's the way I'll do it.   Well, unless I get that private jet.   And someday if I have to fly commercially in order to see my loved ones then I'll deal with the inconvenience and discomfort of the experience.

          Or better yet, maybe one day I'll live closer to my children and grandchildren where I don't have to deal with airlines or marathon driving trips.   They can visit me easily and I them.   Just wheels of love in short doses.  Not wings of love.   Someday maybe that will happen.  Then I hope I can still make long driving trips, but for the love of the travel and not the necessity of travel for the love.


Battle of the Bands


       Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens twice each month on the 1st and 15th.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.


Nirvana  "Wings of Love"  (1967)

         Don't be confused by the name--this is not the grunge band Nirvana from the 1990's.  Instead this Nirvana was a psychedelic band formed in London, England in 1965.  In 1967 they released a narrative concept album called The Story of Simon Simopath which predated the Who's Tommy by two years.  I first discovered this album in the cut-out bins in the early 1970's and still own my copy.  It's light orchestrated rock music--a style that I still enjoy hearing.  "Wings of Love" comes from this concept album.





Herman's Hermits "Wings of Love"  (1968)

        Another English band, Herman's Hermits was part of the English Invasion of the 1960's.  Initially fronted by pretty boy Peter Noone, the Hermits had a string of popular songs on the charts.  "Wings of Love" was not among them though it was featured on their Best of Herman's Hermits Volume 3 album released in 1968.





Time to Vote!

         Same song with very similar presentations--but they are slightly different.  Can you notice the differences?  Let us know what you think about these two recordings. Is there one that you prefer over the other?    If you're visiting a Battle of the Bands post for the first time then let me briefly explain.  Please give each song version a fair listen to decide which one you enjoy the most.  If you don't like either then at least tell us which recording was least innocuous to you. This comes down to your preference and it's as easy as that.

     Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.

Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:


 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

 ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ 

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

DC Relief Battle of the Bands

The Doglady's Den 

Angel's Bark  

Cherdo on the Flipside  

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 

Janie Junebug Righting & Editing.
  
J. A. Scott  

Quiet Laughter

Holli's Hoots and Hollers

Be ReInVintaged


Winner Announced on Monday August 8th

          I'll try my best to make my voting rounds and tally up votes for my Battle before Monday August 8th.   There shouldn't be much problem doing this, but life (and vacations) can happen so bear with me if my intentions aren't carried out as I have expressed them.   Hope to be back next Monday.

           Do you like flying on commercial airlines?    What is your favorite airline?   Do you have to go very far to visit family or do you prefer not to visit them?


Question of the Month




The Question of the Month is hosted by Michael G D'Agostino from A Life Examined. The first Monday of each month I'll be answering a question posed by Michael prior to event day. Click on the link to his blog for more participants. 

This month's question:

“What’s your favorite beach?”
         
One thing that is fairly certain for me that is if I were to travel anywhere be it by air or otherwise, a beach would not be my primary destination. I've never been a big fan of going to the beach. I like to look at the ocean or even walk along the beach at sunset or on a cool day, but going into the salt water, languishing on the sand, or baking in the sun is not my idea of a good time. My favorite beach is probably the one I see in a picture or from a distance. During my visit to New Jersey we took a stroll on the boardwalk at Asbury Park. That beach looked okay, but I wouldn't say it was my favorite. I guess I really don't have a favorite beach.

Insecure Writer's Support Group




Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog.




Speaking of Flying

        Here I am with another year over half gone and none of the writing goals I had set at the beginning have been accomplished. Not many at least. But it's been a good year otherwise and I've had some good times. I don't guess it's really insecurity that I'm talking about here. It's just that time flies and I keep missing planes.



62 comments:

  1. Looking forward to commence my travels again.
    Love the Herman Hermits version, remember them from way back.
    Have a good time and enjoy yourself.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, voting starts out with...

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  2. My favorite beach: St. Augustine...or maybe Destin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop Tart, I haven't been to a Florida beach in decades, but I have some great memories from Florida beaches.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I think you need a few more blog hops in this post.
    Not crazy about the song, but I would pick Herman's Hermits.
    Not a fan of the beach either. Prefer the cool of the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I much prefer the mountains as well--that's where I'll be during the upcoming week.

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I have to fly a lot for work. I just turn off my brain and pretend I am an animal going to slaughter.

    I like the Nirvana version way better. The percussion did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasreen, if I could fly 1st class and bypass a lot of the stuff about getting on the plane I wouldn't mind flying. Your animals analogy is an apt one.

      a vote for Nirvana.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Lee, I have never been on an airplane. Other than the dislike of being thousands of feet off the ground, the problems you mentioned with flying are ones I thought about, too. I like being in control of when or where I go. That's something you can't do with a commercial flight.

    Good battle song choice. I'm not sure I remember this song or not, but I definitely preferred pretty boy, Peter Noone to his rival. You can give my vote to Herman's Hermits. More than a year ago, I featured Herman's Hermits on a Saturday Songsuasion edition. I invited Peter Noone to stop by for a visit, but it never came and then out of the blue several months later I got an email form him apologizing for having not seen my invitation before that time. That not only surprised me, but made my day. :)

    Our families live 3.5 to 4 hours one way from us, so we can easily go home for the day and drive back to town. We don't do this as often as we liked, but at least we can.

    I'm not a beach person, so I don't have a favorite. I did enjoy visiting the Gulf coast in Naples, though.

    Thanks for stopping by to vote in my latest round of BoTB. Have a good time in Tennessee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, having a great time in TN. Today we went to Walmart and Costco to stock up on food and supplies.

      Flying is cool, but not with a bunch of other people.

      Peter Noone gets a nod with a vote for Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of commercial flying either for the exact same reasons. Our family is about a twelve hour drive away, so for now we fly to see them two to three times a year. Driving is not impossible, but we have to balance the time away from home because of our pets with making these trips long enough to be worthwhile. One of those yearly trips is to Kiawah Island which has pretty good beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, we don't have any pets to worry about so my wife and I are pretty flexible with our traveling.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I like the Nirvana style better because it does feel like it is part of a story. Funny, I do like Herman's Hermits but when he started to sing, I was thinking mIchael Crawford when he was young and singing to some lass in a musical. I like to drive if we have the time because you get to see more of the country that way and can stop when you want and enjoy the journey. Most of my family lives in the area and my family is small. I have a cousin in Ann Arbor but my Au t lives in Brixen/Bressonone Italy so flying is a must:) If I could I would go Lufthanza or British Airways but since we have a budget we fly Air Transcrap um I mean Transat. I never, ever will fly Air Canada...sucks! As for beach, I am not a beachy person but I enjoyed the beach at Punta Cana and have fond memories of a small beach on Lake Erie where, after church, my dad would bring us to to wade I. The water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, driving is fun. I'll go that way whenever it makes sense to do so.

      A vote for Nirvana

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I've never cared for heights, but I did travel by plane quite a bit many years ago. Now I avoid it unless it absolutely necessary. I'll take a roadtrip any day, though I like a lot of 'adventure' stops along the way.
    I thought Nirvana did a more enchanting rendition of a ballad, whereas the Hermits simply performed a song.
    Happy trails out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I too am a bit scared of heights, but being in a plane seems somewhat secure so it doesn't bother me too bad.

      A vote for Nirvana

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I love flying too but hate airports. I also like driving and seeing different parts of the countryside. Herman's Hermits for me! Not a beach person either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan GK, airports used to be much more comfortable and fun, but now too much security and bustle. Seems like we bloggers are not too big on beaches.

      Another vote for Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed both versions, but Herman's Hermits seemed to be my favorite this time around.

    Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are not alone in your preference.

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I like that your favorite beach is in a picture. It's honest. Not everyone loves the beach and I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toinette, I like to look at beaches more than be on them.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I'm not a fan of this song, but it was interesting to feature. I think it is fascinating that it was two years before Tommy, the so-called first Rock Opera.

    I am voting for Herman's Hermits on this one.

    As for beaches, I love the beach... provided that it is pretty empty. I love the mountains more, but beaches are great places for considering philosophical issues and for introspection. Or to get a tan. I will name two favorites: nearby Point of the Arches along the NW Washington coast, and Sulllivan Bay in the Galapagos Islands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SBB6, a beach of solitude is fine--I do like those. I'm not a fan of beaches where there are crowds and lots of activities going on.

      The beaches you mention are more like what I would enjoy as well.

      Another vote for Herman's Hermits.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I hate flying with a passion. Last time was in March 2011 when I flew back to Washington before I moved, and then Russell flew west that June to drive me back. It's so miserable. The whole security thing, tiny seats, horrible food you have to pay for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, you've described the things I dislike about flying. I will avoid flying whenever I can.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Big beach fan...spent lots of summers at the south Jersey shore (Vetnor as a kid, Ocean City and Wildwood as a teen/young adult).

    For the song, I am surprised to find myself voting for Herman's Hermits.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, you can have your beaches. I guess as a teen and young adult I was rarely near beaches so maybe that is one factor of my feelings toward them.

      I'm surprised about your vote too. Herman's Hermits.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I gotta take the vocals of Peter Noone, even if the arrangement was a tad annoying in spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, swayed by the vocals, it's a vote for...

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Enjoy all your travels! And, your non-beach time.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I am enjoying my time to the utmost!

      Lee

      Delete
  17. This song never did anything for me, and after listening a few seconds, it still doesn't. However, I will choose Nirvana, because I never like Herman's Herman's Hermits.

    I haven't flown in about 4 years and don't love it, but still appreciate the faster time in getting to my destination.

    The beach - Myrtle Beach, SC. The water is not freezing like it is in Cape may, NJ, where I've been many times. Myrtle Beach's ocean is cool, and after being in it a few minutes, it actually feels warm... in the summer, of course.

    I don't have to have a long beach vacation, as I enjoy other things, but a couple days a year is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, no problem with the typos. Sometimes we have to settle for traveling by air for expediency's sake.

      A unenthused vote for Nirvana

      Lee

      Delete
  18. Hey, man, you're in my neck of the woods (assuming that your children live near your parents' former home?). We're having scorchers lately, so hat and sunblock...

    I cheated on Michael's blog hop because technically, I like all beaches.

    As for the BOTB: give my vote to Herman's Hermits. I'm feeling nostalgic and at least Peter Noone combed his hair. Dang. Now I do feel old.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherdo, my kids are in NJ, but I'm in Maryville at my sister's house. My siblings all still live in the ET area.

      A nostalgic vote for Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  19. I vote for Herman's Hermits. I like the changes in tempo and the articulate pronunciation of the lyrics. Besides, I still have a crush on Peter Noone.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, fair enough argument except for the crush part.

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  20. You're so right about air travel, Lee. It's no longer enjoyable. :P Road trips are great for all the reasons you mentioned. This is a song I'm not familiar with. Please give my vote to Herman's Hermits. I like what they did with the chorus, better.

    Have a good time in Tennessee! We're in Michigan this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, we had considered passing through Michigan on this trip but decided to stay the Canada route. We can do it another trip I guess.

      A vote for Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  21. I've become accustomed to the inconveniences of air travel -- I just carry a book wherever I go, do a lot of people-watching, and indulge in my favorite treats at the airports I visit most often. Still, I'd rather travel by car and stop whenever I want....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I'll carry a book as well and get distracted with watching people, but I can think of better ways to do those things.

      Lee

      Delete
  22. I feel exactly as you do about air travel. I much prefer a road trip.
    As for Wings of Love, my vote is going to Herman's Hermits. I like the vocals in this version better...

    Safe travels, my friend...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, prefers the vocals of...

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  23. I'm probably biased, as a fan of 23 years and counting, but I preferred the Herman's Hermits version. I like the vocals and arrangement better.

    I'm not a fan of air travel either. On one of my flights to Israel, I was seated next to an extremely overweight Hareidi (ultra-Orthodox) man who kept elbowing and shoving me because he was so large, and managed to push my glasses out of my pocket. They got lost, and I couldn't find them at the lost and found before my return flight left. My seatmate also smelled bad and snored very loudly. Then there was the emergency middle of the night landing in Vienna when an elderly Russian woman a few rows behind me got sick and had to be taken off the plane to go to a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, your experience sounds like the ultimate flying nightmare.

      Herman's Hermits

      Lee

      Delete
  24. I like flying but miss the old days when the whole family could go to the gate to see someone off, especially when it was going to be a major separation and you wanted to be there until the plane pulled away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LD, I remember those days as well--far better back then.

      Lee

      Delete
  25. I do not like flying as per your thoughtful points. My issues are compounded by the fact that I'm a diabetic, and the meds I take require that 1) they be kept cool/cold and 2) that they remain on my person/near my person and 3) they can be misconstrued as dangerous weapons (syringes and tips for an insulin pen).

    But, I'm thinking about pushing aside my reluctance to fly next year as I want to visit a good friend out on the Left Coast, and the only good way to get there (besides the train) is to fly. Won't do a return flight as I want to drive back home.

    Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, your diabetic issues do present extra complications. I'm not sure how good train travel is now. Hope you find a good travel solution to fit your needs.

      Lee

      Delete
  26. Hope you have had a good drive down south. I also prefer driving instead of flying, but in some cases I have to fly, like when I am heading to the U.S.A.
    So, I am voting for Nirvana. I like the sound. I wasn't able to pull it up here because of GEMA regulations in Germany, but I found other ways. Nirvana is my choice for Wings Of Love.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, sometimes modern travelers have to fly if they want to get somewhere quickly.

      A vote for Nirvana.

      Lee

      Delete
  27. Haha... The 'Nirvana' name did throw me, Lee :D Please give this other Nirvana band my vote; I really enjoyed their version.
    Guilie @ Quiet Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilie, the original namesake later sued the more famous band for "stealing" the name.

      A vote for Nirvana.

      Lee

      Delete
  28. Man, LEE, this one was not easy. Not because I had trouble discerning differences (I did not), but because there were things about each version that I preferred over the other.

    Without a doubt, Peter Noone is the better lead vocalist. But the Brian Wilson 'Pet Sounds' instrumental influence was just all over, up-to-down, side-to-side, through-and-through that Nirvana original. It was almost like Brian Wilson arranged it himself.

    And I did NOT like that "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! -- Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" bit used as the initiation for a tempo shift in the Herman's Hermits cover. It was jarring and inappropriate for the piece, I think. Had they done that with a musical instrument instead, I might have accepted it.

    I wish I could put Peter Noone's vocals onto the Nirvana musical track. But since I can't, and since this one is pretty close, I'll go with the original artist, and I feel pretty good about it.

    Good Battle.
    Vote: NIRVANA

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, you pinpointed my same concerns with the Hermit's version.

      A vote for Nirvana.

      Lee

      Delete
  29. Nirvana gets my vote, they were a little more far out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, Nirvana was definitely early psychedelic.

      a vote for Nirvana

      Lee

      Delete
  30. Lee, Hope you're having a great time in Tennessee! We took many family road trips growing up, and I always got car sick. Every year my mom would say, "Never again," and we'd do it again the following year. Now I can take short road trips for three or four hours. Herman's Hermits gets my vote, but I 'd rather hear them sing "Into Something Good."

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, family road trips can be chaotic, but what great memories!

      A vote for Herman's Hermits.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee