This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, October 21, 2019

Still Still for the Most Part, But Still Busy ( #BOTB Results )



         Most of us usually hate waiting, but we're always waiting for something.   Even once we get to the front of the line and think that the wait is finally over, we are really just part of that bigger wait of waiting for the next waiting thing to  happen.  That is, of course, until we reach our final resting place, though maybe it would be more appropriate to substitute "resting" with "waiting"...


Can't recall whose birthday this was for--someone in my wife's family in Ecuador I think, but I guess the celebrant is likely gone by now since the photo was taken 11 years ago.

So For Now...

        This week we have my youngest daughter's family visiting.  There's two kids--2 and 11 years of age--and it's been fun seeing them.  Seeing my own daughter at an age that I was some 30 years ago makes me ever more aware of my circumstance of present age.   Then I  think of someone who might be 98 years old like a few of my current friends and realize that I still have 30 years before I get where they are.  Guess I just have to wait and see what happens in my own life.

         There are some math questions in these previous sentences if you feel like figuring them out.  In the meantime I've got to go to a party.  I've taken a few minutes on Saturday morning to compose this post since my weekend may be unpredictable.  Besides, I have written enough for anyone to think about if they inclined to do so.  But then, we all have busy lives even when it doesn't seem that busy...


Battle of the Bands Results





           There has been some general agreement that certain artists are almost sure winners in these Battles.  In other words, it might be a risk to pit a lesser known artist against some powerhouse like Nat King Cole, Elvis Presley, Louis Armstrong, or Glen Miller.  Tommy Dorsey probably fits under this description too and my Battle used this artist's version of the song "In the Still of the Night" up against the more modern Neville Brothers.  I guess I should have known Tommy Dorsey would be the favorite, but in the end it all evened out.

         Still, I like the Neville Brothers version so much that I thought they might have a chance in this Battle.  That is the version that I voted for--I mean it's such a nice laid back flowing version of the song.  And considering the contest, it was not a bad outcome at all...

Final Vote Tally

Tommy Dorsey             9

Neville Brothers           9



Next Battle on Friday November 1

         I'm not doing NaNoWriMo again this year just as I have not done it since many years ago.  Some of you might, and if so, I wish you well.  So, everyone have a happy Halloween--I probably won't be doing that either--and see you here again on Friday November 1st!


             What is the thing you seem to spend most time waiting for?   Would you rather hold the place in line for someone else or only for your self?    How many people do you know who are over 90?  





     


26 comments:

  1. I know my husband who is over 90.
    And he's waiting for me to catch up with him. He'll have a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Thoughts, I tell my wife that I'm going to stop aging until she catches up. It might be working. At least it keeps me thinking younger.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. From the math, I'm guessing you are sixty-eight. Hope you have thirty-plus more years to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of us has our math wrong. I'll be glad of 10 + more.
      On certain days ... not so much.

      Delete
    2. Alex, you got my age part of the math test correct. I'm looking forward to many more years ahead. I hope!

      Lee

      Delete
    3. No Thoughts, I think we all start having those kinds of days as years pass. My wife keeps saying that she doesn't watch to get much older. If my health reasonably holds up I'm ready for several more decades of living--if I can afford it!

      Lee

      Delete
  3. That turned into a heckuva Battle, LEE. It looked like Dorsey was taking the Nevilles to the woodshed early on, and I thought you had a major blowout on your hands. But instead, it turned into a major comeback!

    Good contest!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I was pleased by the outcome of the Battle. I too thought Dorsey would be a hefty winner in this one so it was nice to see the even match.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Halloween, both, none.

    That is a lot of votes cast, to end up with a tie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I used to wait on Halloween since that was part of my job/business. Now it mostly goes by with little notice from me. I'm guessing you're younger than I am. Seems like each year I know more people entering their nineties where 20 yeear ago I don't think I knew anyone that old.

      Lee

      Lee

      Delete
  5. A good battle Lee. Look forward to the next.
    Hope your family visiting you have a wonderful time.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, the visit was very nice, but today they are leaving. Sad, but also a time to get things back to normal.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I chose the Neville Bros. as well and also thought Tommy Dorsey would win. Surprised to see a tie, which proves again, you never know! May we all carry on and enjoy life to the fullest for as long as possible. Visits from loved ones would certainly qualify. I don't know anyone still living over 90, but my mother and grandmother made it to 92 and 93.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, These Battles can be surprising sometimes.

      My father would have been around 97 if he were still living. My mother would have been 89. Wish they could have stayed around if their health would have been good enough for a fulfilling life at that age.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Age isn’t important, it’s how we use or waste each day, I think 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost, So true. I find myself wasting a lot more time than I'd like, but I've enjoyed my life nevertheless.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Hi Lee!

    Sorry I can't seem to catch these mid-month battles in a timely manner, but this was nice! I'd have gone with Tommy Dorsey for the tempo alone. It made me think of dancing in an era that seemed to exemplify happiness for the sake of it. What a concept!
    I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for time, to stand still, to speed up, to not run out.
    I've known several folks who made into their nineties. Most never gave it a second thought. A few were quite ready for the final buzzer; having lived full lives and anxious to join loved ones who had passed.
    Enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, most of my friends past ninety seem pretty optimistic about their futures. One, who is 97, is in the process of selling his house of over 60 years and looking for a new one that will be a bit smaller. He acts like he doesn't plan to leave this earth anytime soon.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. You should delete the spam above. Delete once, and then go back and delete a second time. this will take the name off your site. I have had this junk on my comment section, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, usually spam doesn't last long on my sites because I tend to keep up with it. I kind of took the day off from blogging yesterday so the spam hung around longer than it usually does. I don't get as much spam as I used to several years ago, but still those spammers never seem to give up. It's kind of sad.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I've met and am/have been acquainted with a few people over 90, including the late founder of the newspaper I used to work for. He kept working till a month before his final illness at age 91. Besides his wife, also now deceased, I think the only nonagenarian I've known was one of my great-grandmas, my last surviving great-grandparent. She passed away in June 2001, when I was 21. Another great-grandma also lived to her nineties, but I don't recall ever meeting her. She was in a home my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I likewise had a great grandmother who lived into her nineties, but I never saw her very often and she died sometime when I was a kid. Once I visited a relative (forget how we were related) in a home in Texas. She was something like 103. I'd never met her before but after hearing that she had been a circus performer in her younger days I wanted to visit her. I was touring at the time so it was easy to make the visit.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Hi Lee -

    I apologize for missing this one! I am traveling, having driven to the east coast and have been totally booked for the last couple of weeks.

    Had I gotten here on time, I would have voted to Neville and broken the tie. However, apparently Dierdre should have posted also and then tied it up again! Good battle.

    I know a few people over 90. My mom was 95 when she passed this last April. My aunt is 90, and I have a 2nd cousin who is 89 and healthy as an ox, so she'll get there soon. And a friend's father is 95; he just bought a new house on a 30 year mortgage, HAHA!

    My mom heard Tommy Dorsey many, many times live in the 40's. And later on she liked Aaron Neville and bought a couple of his albums!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 6-Gun, I kind of wish I were traveling too, but then home is a sweet place to be.

    I guess it's a natural function of my age that I keep knowing more people much older than I. It might be fun to hang on for many more years, but the future has a potential for many things yet to come.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee,

    A tied battle. That's cool! I'm seeing a lot of close ones lately. I know a few folks in their 90s mostly DH's relatives. His dad passed away last year and he was 95. The thing I seem to be waiting forever for is getting into a new home. I wonder if it'll ever happen especially with our pickiness but I'm hanging onto hope that the right place will show itself before long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, we've been living in our home for 22 years now. I think about moving to another, but I wouldn't want to move unless it were to somewhere back east--preferably VA or TN.

      I think if you keep looking the right home will be found eventually.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee