This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, July 15, 2018

All the Diamonds in the World (#BOTB)


     Perception is a matter of  either what we see or what we think we see.  Then there is the perception of others who convince us to believe what is true and those who convince us to believe the lies they wish to foist upon us...

Let Us Pray (and drive)

       My travels for this summer have nearly come to an end.  On the Sunday this post is appearing I am somewhere in Texas heading westerly toward Los Angeles.  It's been a wonderful trip--a truly blessed trip.  My wife has stayed behind in Houston as she awaits the arrival of our seventh grandchild--a boy whom the parents have decided to call Alex (sorry, Alex J. Cavanaugh, but they weren't thinking of you, but it's a good name).  I am driving back alone which is okay with me.  I don't mind solitary driving sometimes.

       Driving alone for long distances makes for a time of contemplation as well as prayer.  Being a Sunday, once again my second Battle post for July considers the topic of spirituality.  Hope you will enjoy this song...

Battle of the Bands

       Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.



All the Diamonds in the World

        The song in this Battle match-up was written and recorded by Bruce Cockburn in his earlier years as a primarily Christian artist.  Later he became more political in his song subject matter.  He is still a favorite songwriter of mine though I definitely prefer his spiritually inclined songs.   I've chosen two very nice covers by female artists.  Please give a listen and let us know which version you enjoy the most.


Claire Lynch  "All the Diamonds in the World"   (2016)

       A highly acclaimed award-winning bluegrass artist,  Claire Lynch has been active in the music scene since 1977.  I'd never heard of heard of her before compiling this Battle, but I do like her sound a lot.





 
Ali Matthews   "All the Diamonds in the World"  (2010)

    This is a return appearance for the Canadian Christian artist Ali Matthews.  In a previous Battle Ali won by a narrow margin of one vote with her rendition of another Bruce Cockburn song "Lord of the Starfields."   Can she win this Battle as well?  We'll let you voters decide.








Time to Vote!

       
 Is this song a jewel or junk to your ears?   What's your favorite between these two choices? Which song version do you like best? You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

         Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Angel's Bark  


Debbie Doglady's Den

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 


Cherdo on the Flipside 



Winner of this Battle Announced Monday July 23rd

       I should be settled back into my regular life this week so I should have no problem getting the results post up.  It may take a day or two to get around to other Battles so bear with me.  Hopefully I'll have an okay turn-out for this Battle, but I have been kind of scarce on my blog visiting of late due to travels and lack of time and access on the internet.  Things will be returning to normalcy in the week to come.   Well, depending on whatever "normalcy" means.





40 comments:

  1. Well, as you said, it's still a good name.
    This battle is really close. (I'm surprised our band hasn't played this song yet.) I'm actually going to give it to the first singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I should think you'd approve of the name.

      First vote goes to Claire Lynch.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I don't much Cockburn outside Wonering Where the Lions Are and Rocket Launcher. On a purely "like the vocal better" vote, I take Ali.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, I've been following Cockburn's music since about 1985--at the point he was getting more political.

      A vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Lee. Glad to know your trip is going well. May the rest of it be smooth as well and, congrats on your 7th grandchild! This is a song I'm not familiar with, even though Bruce Cockburn is Canadian. Shame on me, eh? ☺ Anyway, my vote goes to Ali Matthews. Her vocals were more pleasing to the ears. Claire's voice set my teeth on edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, well, Bruce Cockburn hasn't gotten all the recognition that he maybe deserves, but then he has limited appeal apparently.

      Another vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Hey, LEE, good news about the new grandchild! May he grow up to be the man God created him to be!

    In this Battle, my vote goes to ALI MATTHEWS. I much preferred her voice, which seemed richer and not as high-pitched as Claire's. Musically, it had a little bit more going on, too. (The only high-pitched singer I really like is Tiny Tim. Ha! But having said that, I still prefer Tiny in his Tenor to Baritone range.)

    Incidentally, in a previous comment to me you wrote this:

    >>... Just another couple of Battles before I pull off what might be a big surprise. I hope it comes off as planned.

    I think I may know what this is. I don't want to say too much and spoil the surprise, so I'll very cryptically ask:

    Might this have something to do with something you've mentioned on your blog a couple of times recently? A personal creative endeavor?

    Stay safe on the road, Brother!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, you have deduced correctly about an upcoming band. If it all comes together this should be my August 15th Battle. We'll see what happens this coming week now that I'm back home.

      A vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Hello Lee, pleased your travels are doing you good and enjoying yourself.
    My vote goes to Claire Lynch, I have never heard the song before but I think her version is the better.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, now I'm home and have a bunch of good memories.

      A vote for Claire Lynch..

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I hope your journey home is a safe one.

    I think Claire Lynch's version is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, safe indeed! I am back home now.

      A vote for Claire Lynch.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Hello Lee!

    Congrats on the expansion of the family!

    I'm not familiar with this song, but it was perfect for a Sunday.

    I'm casting my vote for Ali Matthews - it sounded like a beautiful lullaby.

    Safe travels!

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, yeah, "Sunday songs" is usually my theme when BOTB falls on a Sunday--if I think to do it.

      A vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on becoming a grandfather once again! From the sound of it, the baby's due any moment now. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    I preferred Ali Matthews over Claire Lynch on this song. I liked her voice better, and liked the accompaniment of just the single guitar. There seemed to be more depth to the sound, too. Good song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, any day, any day...

      A vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Claire gets my vote, I simply like her vocals better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, both have good vocals I think, but just different sounding.

      Claire Lynch.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Lee, I thought this would be a post about Neil Diamond who wifey and I saw twice. He's stopped touring due to Parkinsons God Bless him very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen Tremp, Neil Diamond left a big legacy of music. Hope he weathers the Parkinsons well--that can be a tough ordeal from what I've seen.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Sixgun McItchyfingerJuly 16, 2018 at 12:06 AM

    I am really happy you had such a nice trip! I have my own long trip planned soon, myself. I'm driving to Denver again in a few days. I am very very ready to get away.

    Congrats on your impending grandson. Alex is indeed a great name; I named my second son Alex. There weren't so many of 'em then... now Alexes are stacking up like cord wood. It MUST be a good name!

    I like this song a lot but never heard it before. Both versions are good, too. I prefer the slightly blue-grassy sound of Claire. I can heard passages that sound a bit like Dolly Parton and others that sound like Cyndi Lauper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6Gun, I'm ready to take that trip you're going on. A lot of people like the name Alex I guess. I've known more of them of late.

      A vote for Claire Lynch.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Would have loved to listen but both videos 'not available'. Will see if I can access via google. I love blue grass music. Hope all goes well with birth of new grandchild and safe ravelling home Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Scott, this time it was such a hassle compiling my Battle on my travel computer that I neglected to check video availability. Wouldn't you know.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Lee,

    The days of summer are melting away quickly, aren't they? I'm happy to hear your travels have gone well. Soon, you'll settle back into a normal routine once again. Congrats on the soon arrival of grandbaby #6!

    Today's battle song is new-to-me. I liked both covers but one more than the other and my ear picked up quickly which artist to give my vote to mainly because of the vocals. My vote goes to Ali Matthews. Her voice was more soothing to my ears, giving me a certain peace as I listened to her. Have a good week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, actually the grandkid coming will be #7! Hard for me to believe!

      Another vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. My computer, internet or something hasn't allowed me to comment on your posts in months. Here I am! It sounds like you had a great summer travel again. You guys hit a lot of road! Congrats on your latest grand baby. They are the best.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I've been finding quirks across the internet of late. Seems to have coincided with the European internet thing that I've mostly ignored.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I prefer the Canuck, Ali, to Claire who's voice sounded a bit whiny to me and irritating. Ali was more clear and I enjoyed it more so she gets my vote. Happy Grandpa! I just got back from Vancouver and the Rockies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, I love traveling in western Canada, but all over Canada is nice.

      A vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Congrats on the new addition to the family! Glad you've had a great summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I can scarcely fathom last summer being over let alone this summer.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. From my cousin Tom on Facebook...

    A vote for Claire Lynch.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm voting for Claire. Ali's voice is just a little too bland for me in this battle.

    I find I like audiobooks for the long car rides where I'm alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, I used to listen to audiobooks a lot on cassette. Probably should update my technology.

      A vote for Claire Lynch.

      Lee

      Delete
  19. Another Facebook vote--this time from my Uncle Bill.

    Ali Matthews.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lee,
    Congrats on the upcoming #7! That's exciting and I'll look forward to seeing pics here when the wee one arrives.

    "All the Diamonds in the World" is new to me. It's very beautiful and the covers you've chosen are both lovely listening. I listened to both versions twice. I love the simplicity of Claire Lynch's instrumentation on her version. Her vocals really didn't do much for me though, escept I found it really nice when the male vocal came in as it was fabulous harmonizing.

    I'm giving my vote to Ali Matthews. Her version won me over with her rich vocals and the collective arrangement of the instruments was beautiful. I'm listening to it for a third time right now.

    Thanks for the introduction to "All the Diamonds..." Both songs together are a lovely way to kick off what I hope will be a mellow & relaxing weekend. Haven't had one of those in ages, it seems...

    Get some rest after that long road trip...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I've been resting all week since my return--maybe too much rest if there is such a thing.

      A vote for Ali Matthews.

      Lee

      Delete
  21. I hate I missed this round. Claire Lynch is a big deal around these parts. She has roots in Northern Alabama, near where I live. (She is really from New York, but don't tell anyone about that, okay?)

    I first heard heard her, sing backup for John Starling on a solo project, after he left The Seldom Scene. Claire was singing lead for a band called Front Porch String Band. There was a song on their third album, called, "If You're Ever In Oklahoma" that turned a lot of heads. I still get a rush, listening to that track. Everyone in the group shined like new money on that recording...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IoSLIdvjk

    Anyways, I am rambling... I hope you are enjoying a fantastic summer, Arlee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, sorry you missed the vote--your vote for Claire would have made it a tie! Thanks for the info about her.

      Summer has been mostly great!

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee