This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, September 22, 2017

Watched a Film (and #BOTB Results)


My cup of ideas hath been running over, but thus far it's all just been making a mess on the table and spilling onto the floor...




        Just finished watching Federico Fellini's I Vitelloni.   This 1953 film follows a year in the lives of five male friends in their thirties.  The ones who work only do so out of necessity.   Trapped in the small town where they grew up, they spend time goofing off and dreaming about a vague future that includes wives, families, and getting away from their home town.

         What a great film!  This is the second time I've watched it in the past couple of years.  Once again I'm convinced that Fellini films are some of the best films about writers and writing you can find.  The late Italian director was a master at capturing everyday people wound up in everyday lives while dreaming of something vague and often fanciful.

         For some reason this film really spoke to me.  I could see myself in these young men.  This is the kind of film that prompts me to reflect on life and the different paths we all take.  If you have the patience for subtitled films I highly recommend this film.  Or any Fellini film for that matter.

          What can I say?  Fellini is my favorite film director.


Battle of the Bands Results



         This previous Battle between Johnny Winter and Taj Mahal did not turn out as I had expected.  To me Johnny Winter seemed like he would get the most votes because I figured his version was the one known to most.  I certainly remember Johnny Winter being very popular back in the early seventies.  I've heard Johnny's version of "Good Morning Little School Girl" so many times.  The rendition by Taj Mahal was new to me prior to compiling this Battle.

         Both artists turn out excellent performances, but I prefer the softer funkier version by Taj Mahal.  The juke joint band sound really does it for me.  The vocals are drenched with a lechery with a sense of fun.  Johnny does rock this song, but the style of Taj Mahal suits me better.

Final Vote Tally

Johnny Winter          8

Taj Mahal                12

Next Battle on Sunday October 1st

          Maybe some others will join me on my next Battle day.   We'll just have to check.  In the meantime, I might just fulfill my threat to post about something else before the next Battle.

  Have you ever had plenty to say, but just didn't feel like saying anything?   Have you watched any Fellini films (and enjoyed them)?   When have you felt like you were stuck in a holding pattern and waiting for your time to land?  




24 comments:

  1. I can't recall that film Arlee, and I missed the BOTB as I took a small rest from blogging.

    Enjoy the week-end
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, it's likely an obscure film to find unless you're really looking for it or happen to have a TV movie service such as TCM and even they don't show it very often.

      I think a lot of bloggers have been taking breaks during the summer and maybe more.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen that film, either, but it sounds good. I'll add it to my list of movies to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I guess the film is similar to a "coming of age" film for thirty somethings. It reminded me of the genres that include films like American Graffiti. I like the way it's viewed and narrated through the eyes of a writer (Fellini himself) and it's essentially autobiographical to a great extent.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I fell flat with listening to all the BOTB and I miss it so I probably will still listen and give my reaction:) I have seen a couple of Fellini films but not the one you mentioned. I would like to and yes, he is a true auteur. 81/2 is excellent but it isn't for every one. I still need to see La Strada and will as it is on my top 10 list of films to see. I feel like I haven't landed yet as my wheels refuse to come down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, La Strada is one of Fellini's best though it does not relate as well to the writing life. 8 1/2 is definitely one of my favorites and should be a prerequisite film for all writers.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I've watched one of his films and it was a mind bender of weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, Fellini dips deep into surrealism for his film imagery while telling pretty down to earth stories about people like us or those we know. An open mind and patience is necessary to enjoy his films--something difficult for modern audiences to muster.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. >>... When have you felt like you were stuck in a holding pattern and waiting for your time to land?

    Since about 1992 until the present day.

    This Battle turned out closer than I thought it would. I was following the incoming votes by Email and for quite awhile it seemed like Taj Mahal was running away with it, but like Howlin' Wolf did in my own Battle, Johnny Winter staged a pretty good late comeback.

    I'm still tinkering with the idea of using this Taj Mahal version of SCHOOL GIRL with the recording that I think is literally unbeatable in my next Battle, just to see what will happen.

    We'll see how I feel about that as October 15th draws nearer.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, my Battle outcome was unexpected in my view. If you use the song again I'll be interested to see which version you use. I had a very tough time coming up with the versions to use as so many of them were really good.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Yes. Maybe. Yes. Lately the mess on the floor is beyond scooping up. I think it is because I am physically tired. things ache. Lots of life plans are stacking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, sounds like you and I are on the same boat. Damn rickety thing is springing leaks and getting a bit creaky, but I've still got a big journey that I want to complete.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Hi Lee - I'm not really good at films ... and probably should 'take a course' sometime ... though I know Fellini and some of his works - he influenced many in the film world ... thanks for this reflection - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I took two film courses in college which did a great deal to open my eyes and mind to the critically acclaimed films of the past as well as those that were historically important. Watching tons of movies makes the most difference though and I've been doing that since I was a small child. When I was a kid I used to watch some pretty heady stuff and that influenced me a great deal.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a perfect question. Yes, I have plenty to say, but I bite my tongue a lot to avoid conflict. In writing, my ideas are strewn across the floor, or stuffed in file folders, or marching across the pages of unpublished manuscripts. So much to say....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you've stated part of my problem with the observation about avoiding conflict. My suppression of expression on my blog has been a detriment to any writing. What to write that's not going to upset somebody and create conflict?

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Yes I watched some Fellini films in the distant past - it would be great to see some of them again, or the whole lot perhaps not all in one go. They are so imageful - some iconic moments stand out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan S, I started watching Fellini films when I was in college and have been watching them ever since. Some, like Roma, La Strada, and 8 1/2 I try to watch at least once a year. They always seem fresh to me.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I've never been much of a Fellini fan. Probably something lost in translation. I did give Amarcord a second viewing years apart just to see if maybe I'd appreciate more... nope, never happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitch, most people can't get into Fellini. I need to go back to Amarcord since I've only seen that one once and it was some time ago.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I constantly get stuck in holding patterns! It's hard to change when I've gotten so used to a certain routine.

    I looked up Fellini's filmography, and don't recall having seen any of them. Most of the foreign films I've seen to date have been German, French, and Russian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, by all means check out some of his films. His earlier films I think would fit into the category of neo-realism, but as his work progresses it becomes increasingly surrealistic and to me more interesting.

      My gauge of the worth of a film (to me) is how it stands up after repeated viewings. Most of Fellini's films become better the more I watch them. I tend to pick up on things that I didn't previously recognize in earlier viewings.

      I hope you check out at least one or two of his films and let me know what you think. As a writer I think you might especially appreciate 8 1/2.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Lee,

    I went with the winner in this round. Yay, me!

    I'm pretty certain I haven't seen this movie or any others by this film writer. I don't know if I've ever kept my lips tight when I have something on my mind. I think I'd explode if I kept everything to myself. Sometimes DH will look at me and minutes later I'll share something with him when he says, "I knew you were thinking about something". I guess he would hear the gears clanging in my head. :D Yeah, I feel little like I'm stuck in a holding pattern. I had high hopes of doing serious house hunting this year and getting into a new place but a wrench got throw in the bucket with DH's eye health issues. I'm not complaining because getting his eye back to good health is the most important thing but this issue has been frustrating for us at times more so for DH since it impairs his sight a bit. Hopefully by next spring things will be much better and we can resume our lives as before with DH's clearer, improved vision. *cross fingers, say a little prayer* I'll have an Oct. 1st battle planned and will share it in my Monday post since BoTB this time falls on a Sunday. I can't believe this is the last week of September. The year is going by so fast! Have a good day and I'll see ya around, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I think a great many people are burning to say things that are on their minds but don't for fear of offending someone. Spouses often become our sounding boards and conduits through which we channel our opinions. It's a good thing if they understand and are willing to hear us out.

      I'll look forward to your BOTB post.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee