This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, July 22, 2016

Where's Arlee? (#BOTB Results)


Asbury Park skyline 2015
By Lhcollins (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0
 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

      Where am I now?   I'm in New Jersey, my ultimate destination on this trip, and I will be here for a week or so before I head back home with another week in East Tennessee after which it will be a beeline back to Los Angeles.  All good things must come to an end, but for now I've got some good times in the weeks ahead.   Come to think of it, life is always pretty darn good for the most part so I guess wherever I am things are just fine.

        Our journey across Canada was amazing and everything went according to schedule.  We especially enjoyed the cool weather we experienced while we were there.  Looks like 90 degree temps in the upcoming week, but that goes with summer I guess.  

         Now on with my BOTB results...    


Battle of the Band Results!




       My most recent Battle of the Bands pairing was between two what I thought might be similar sounding versions of a song that possibly has only been recorded these two times.  Fortunately many voters caught the differences  "Can I Go" is a pleasant song in a genre that is typically labeled as psychedelic or sunshine pop/rock.   But the song could also be easily categorized in the same genres as the music of Burt Bacharach or Sergio Mendes.   It's the sound of that peace and flowers late sixties.

       I happen to enjoy this style of music, but perhaps it sounds a bit dated to younger listeners.  I've had this song in my "someday" line-up since almost the beginning of my participation in BOTB and now seemed like an appropriate time to use it.  Either version suits me.  This is one of those "my favorite is whichever one I happen to be listening to at the moment" types of songs.  But since this is a battle that calls for choosing a favorite, I need to come up with a preference.

     Being a fan of orchestral music with big arrangements, the Collage version is in a style that I enjoy.  However, the more urgent pacing of the guitar work throughout the Roger Nichols version along with some very cool orchestral arrangement makes me lean more toward that version.  My vote is for Roger Nichols and the Small Circle of Friends.  Most of the voters agreed with my choice.

     This race pulled out of the gate at an even pace, but Roger Nichols and his Small Circle of Friends quickly took the lead and never looked back after that.

Final Tally

Roger Nichols         15

The Collage              5

Next Battle Monday August 1st

      My next Battle of the Bands match will be similar to this previous one with an obscure song that to my knowledge has only two recorded versions--one by a band who by name might seem to by very well known and the other by a band that in its heyday was very popular, but not often heard now.  It's another sunshiny psychedelic genre song from an early "rock opera" concept album that predates The Who's Tommy.  

      Next Friday I'll have a Flashback Friday post that will be a lead-in to my BOTB.  In the meantime, I'll be doing my best to visit your blogs in whatever downtime I have.  Bear with me--my road computer situation is not always the best.

       Are you at home or on vacation?   Are you beating the heat?   With clues I provided, do you have any ideas about my next BOTB song choice?



32 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy the rest of your journey. Neat battle and I look forward to your next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, now it's a week here and a week there with family and not extensive driving.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. You have a wonderful time Arlee, a much deserved vacation. Had the winner of BOTB.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, Glad you picked the winner this time.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hi, Lee!

    I visited Asbury Park in the summer of 1965. I won't use my Ace comb bit on you again, but I did leave behind a box of salt water taffy. I think I lost it near the boardwalk arcade, so if you happen to find it, you know the drill. (Please pack it securely when you ship it back to me.)

    I think I need to take my ears into the shop for a tune-up because I am not matching you as often as I was a few months ago. I'm sure we'd get back in sync if you put Miley in your next battle. :)

    Have fun and stay safe, good buddy Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I will likely be buying a fresh box of saltwater taffy while here. I'm sure yours is long gone by now. Even if we didn't match this time we're still closely in agreement.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. LEE ~
    Your Battle was an even bigger blowout than mine. And I'm surprised because the last time I looked, these two artists seemed neck and neck. I guess that was early on in the race.

    Oh well, one never knows with BOTB. But I DO really think my next Battle will be quite close.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, at the start this battle was neck and neck, but then the Nichols fans kept casting votes. Collage has a nice sound and I still like them a lot.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you're having a good trip, Lee. Enjoy! ☺

    Nice to be on the winning side of this battle. I'm intrigued about your next one!

    Hubby and I are taking short road trips here and there. (Not much chance to go away in the summer, because that's busy season for the dog business.) Going to Ann Arbor and Frankenmuth, Mi, Aug. 1-4. I'm still on a blogging break but will be back, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, short trips can be very nice. So far this trip is wearing me out.

      I think you might be interested in my next battle and might even know the music since it was probably more popular in Europe than the U.S.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great trip! keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HR, I always try to have fun even if what I'm doing is not fun.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that the trans-Canada trip was enjoyable! I hope you enjoy Jersey and East Tennessee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop Tart, being with family for me is almost always a good time. So far that's the way it's been going.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. #Winning
    Yes, I'm beating the heat by keeping close to my A/C office and apartment. But I am trying to get out for a few walks during the day.
    My guess for your next song? No clue. But give me a call and we can discuss it. You can reach me at 867-5309.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey, I tried calling but a lady named Jenny was the only one there.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Home, flat broke and traveling vicariously through my friends. I would give anything to drive across Canada. Just hiding in my house in front of the fan and a/c units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, hiding in ones house isn't all bad.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful trip Arlee! Glad all going well. Here in SA it's winter, municipal elections looming, all holding our collective breath ...Enjoy the rest of your vac :) Safe travels ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, travel is wonderful, but I do miss home.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. So glad your visit to Canada was good and that you got to enjoy some cool temperatures. I'm dying for some cool temps about now, with it being 100 degrees in the shade.
    Nice photo. Glad you're having fun! Enjoy. And be safe out there. Watch out for the other guy...

    See you for the next battle.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, We're back in the heat in NJ. The photo is another story, but it works I guess.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you are having a great time. We were on vacation in Quebec where the temps were a bit cooler and they had rain. We Hve not had rain since July 9th and the temps are horrendous...45C with the humidex! I am thinking The Moody Blues...Days of Future passed?? I love that album and the Moody Blues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, Days of Future Passed is a great album and from the genre and era that my next song pick comes from

      Lee

      Delete
  13. I was wondering how your trip was going, glad you shared! I hope it continues to be a wonderful trip and that you enjoy your family.
    Since the river actually ran several weeks ago, I guess I won't complain that we're parched again;-) But I do hope for more rain. Someday.
    Now I can't get Pete Townsend out of my mind. Might you be seeing for miles and miles on your road trip? Take care out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I have been seeing for miles and miles on this trip though Pete Townsend doesn't have any hand in my next Battle other than one of the song versions sounding reminiscent of his sound on the Tommy album.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. It's been unbearably hot in the NY Capital Region. Even the water in the campus fountain was hot yesterday, instead of cold and refreshing like usual. Unfortunately, I don't have any air conditioning, though I have one fan sucking the hot air out and another blowing cold air through the room. I used to want to live in Alaska, but now I think that's too much extreme cold. I'd prefer a place without extreme weather in any season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, L.A. stays fairly consistent with few extremes during the course of the year. I too prefer that type of weather.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. So pleased you enjoyed your trip across Canada, Arlee. Sounds like you are having a fab time. Canada is on my 'bucket list' of places I'd like to visit. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola, by all means plan a Canada trip one day. It's a big country with so much to see and do.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. woohoo! Enjoy your time in Jersey! That's where I grew up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YY, having a great time in Jersey. Have met a lot of very nice people.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee